Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: How do you eat eggs? The non-political egg thread

Waffle House, y'all!

Another egg lover here
    I live 2 blocks from a farmer's market

I've made and eaten them in almost every way possible. My fav hands down is fried (hail to my childhood) and I do mean FRIED. Where the edges become a translucent crisp and the yolk is almost chalky, together with killer hashbrowns ( garlic, finely chopped onions, chives, outside crispy and brown, inside like scalloped potatoes),syrup drenched breakfast sausages, bacon and toasted whole grain bread with jam. It used to be there was a liberal amount of ketchup on my eggs and hashbrown, Now its hot sauce. I put that shyt on everything.
    My cubbies prefer scrambled or over easy.

My latest love that uses eggs is making waffles since I recently brought a waffle maker and making brownies. I keep making them hoping to perfect their recipes. For waffles, I always beat the whites and fold it in. That is for certain a must. For brownies, I discovered sifting cocoa with the flour is a must and let it rest for at least an hour, if not a day before serving. Still working on getting them to the point where after the first bite you think you're in nirvana.

and, IHOP can suck it. My breakie is better

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ agree.

i have fond memories of going to IHOP as a kid. so we took our daughters to a local one a few years ago. the meal was vomitous. pancakes were gross and sweet, and the scrambled eggs had a NASTY texture. ugh. never went back again. we only go to local breakfast places, now.

Exactly. The same when my boys were little, now it is totally gross. The bacon is just thin with a nasty metallic taste and the pancakes are gluey.
    czb likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Silver Member

I love eggs and eat them cooked every way although my favorite is Chinese style - fried with tomatoes and/or chives and eaten with rice. I also like them fried with a fillet of anchovy.

I'm a scrambled egg girl. Cream cheese, mushrooms, asparagus, lots of pepper, dill, basil, tomato. On an English Muffin.

I had THE best breakfast eggs in a tiny little restaurant in Fernie, British Columbia on vacation. Poached, hollandaise sauce, spinach, avocado. I was in love.
    SHELLEE likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Waffle House, y'all!
    We don't have those in my neck of the woods. I don't like where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ agree.

i have fond memories of going to IHOP as a kid. so we took our daughters to a local one a few years ago. the meal was vomitous. pancakes were gross and sweet, and the scrambled eggs had a NASTY texture. ugh. never went back again. we only go to local breakfast places, now.
    I went not too long ago...about a year ago...to IHOP and it was not too bad. I never really get the pancakes because I'm a shredded hash brown whore so I always swap out the pancakes for that . The eggs were actually cooked perfectly. I think sometimes it depends on who's cooking the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't know if I've ever been to an IHOP. There really aren't any close by, but we do have a Denny's. I feel the same way about them as you do IHOP. If I want breakfast, I'll hit the local Greek family restaurant. But now all omelets are suspect in my book. I will have to read the fine print or ask the server before I ever order one again.
    I have to go way out to get to an IHOP anymore, and it's a gyp, because they're not open 24 hours so what's the point? Also, most of the Denny's are pretty far away. Actually, most fast food places and diners and basically anything I like has disappeared to be replaced by Walgreens or CVS.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    we go to cracker barrel for breakfast. i've probably been to ihop, denny's or one of those less than 5 times in my life.
    Cracker Barrel would be my life if I could ever get a seat in the place. 45-60 minute wait, then you can't even shop in the store anymore because it's jam-packed with families. Serious question for people who like Cracker Barrel: Do you all have wait times like that? Or is just that we have such a dearth of "southern-ish" down home food by me that people flock to it in droves?

I've never been to a Cracker Barrel either. Sheltered life.
    You're missing out! Though it's so crowded!

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Damn I love IHOP and Denny's. Crack Barrel's pancakes are as big as my head. Yum.
    Like I said above, I am usually a hash brown junkie, but I did get their blueberry pancakes last summer and they were to die for. The blueberries tasted like they just picked them outside five minutes before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Exactly. The same when my boys were little, now it is totally gross. The bacon is just thin with a nasty metallic taste and the pancakes are gluey.
    I had a bite of the pancakes because I love the butter pecan syrup and the pancakes just disintegrated. I don't know what happened to them. It was weird. I get pancakes at a local diner and they're how I remember IHOP's used to be, kind of thick and fluffy and they held their shape at least until you started chewing them. It's probably just more sugar than flour or something?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

There's only one Cracker Barrel in my area, and by that I mean about a half hour's drive. Not somewhere I would make a special trip for breakfast, and especially not if I then had to wait 45 minutes for a table. It can't be that good.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The wait and the crowds were the only memorable thing about Cracker Barrel for me. And my friends want to go there *ALL* the damn time. Whatever, it's overrated corny fake country kitsch.

Waffle House was more my speed, it appeals to the blue collar trucker in me. AND it's got a cool jukebox.

Yes I do have some vague recollections of a few late night visits to the Waffle House during my college years. And hearing assorted stories that started with "remember that time we walked the check at the Waffle House?"
    greysfang likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

we don't have any WH here but i used to like going to them. the pecan waffles were yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonia View Post
    I love eggs and eat them cooked every way although my favorite is Chinese style - fried with tomatoes and/or chives and eaten with rice. I also like them fried with a fillet of anchovy.
    Chinese style eggs to me are egg foo young, which I love.
    I decided I wanted to go to Denny's tonight, but it was too late. Ours closes at 2:00 am. I avoid the Waffle House as I know most of the employees as defendants. I've been to the Cracker Barrel 2 times and there was no wait. I really want a pancake now.
    greysfang and Waterslide like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

When I go out for eggs I always order them over medium so no one can slip me any egg substitute. Besides, I love the way the yolk oozes into my grits and/or hash browns. The grits are what I miss most about Bob Evans, they've got real grits instead of the instant stuff.
    Waterslide and fgg like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I looked it up and evidently adding vinegar to the water is the secret to easy-peel hard-boiled eggs. I add about 1 tbsp vinegar, drop eggs into boiling water, boil for 11 minutes, then remove them. If I can, I'll do an ice bath to hurry it up. Haven't gotten the green or gray ring, and they peel pretty easy. The site I found which did all the trial and error said that older eggs actually peel easier and turn out better.

I know places like Denny's and IHOP add batter to their eggs. I'm assuming pancake batter.

And I'm one of those picky eaters, something about eggs makes me nauseous, particularly the yolks. I do eat them, but with a fuck-ton of cheese, onions, peppers, spinach, etc. I've discovered I love egg salad as long as it's got mayo, mustard, lemon juice, chives and cayenne.

But I still can't handle a runny yolk or plain scrambled eggs.
    I'm a picky egg eater too. I love a good omelette, but there has to be lots of veggies and cheese involved. Will not eat a plain scrambled egg. Will only eat my mom's egg salad, and she's gone, so that's over for me. Won't eat anything runny. Yuck. Ugh. I love cooking shows and when they talk about the runny yolks being heavenly. Ugh. I hate the smell of hard boiled eggs, but like them in salad. Won't cook them myself though. My kids never did Easter eggs because of that. I have to get away from people who are eating hard boiled eggs because of the smell. When I was pregnant I could smell a hard boiled egg a mile away. It was awful.

See, the pregnancy thing makes me think there must be a hormonal tie to some food aversions. When I was little, I distinctly remember *liking* the flavor of runny egg yolks. Then around 8 or 9, the smell made me sick. I had a very early onset puberty (9/10), so that would be right around when my hormones changed.
    tulip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Chinese style eggs to me are egg foo young, which I love.
    I decided I wanted to go to Denny's tonight, but it was too late. Ours closes at 2:00 am. I avoid the Waffle House as I know most of the employees as defendants. I've been to the Cracker Barrel 2 times and there was no wait. I really want a pancake now.
    I adore Egg Foo Young. And egg in my fried rice. Yum!

Denny's is the ONLY 24-hour restaurant in my area and I don't know what I'd do if they started closing them at 2 am. Well, some McDonalds drive-thrus are open, but if you work late, and you want to eat, you're shit out of luck around here.

There's only one Cracker Barrel in my area, and by that I mean about a half hour's drive. Not somewhere I would make a special trip for breakfast, and especially not if I then had to wait 45 minutes for a table. It can't be that good.
    Well...I admit I'm kind of partial to it, but I can't take the wait, noise, and crowds. The food is pretty good, but if I lived down South, I probably would get me some "real" Southern food. I get it's not the real deal, but I love their country ham to pieces. Their lunch food is pretty good, kind of cheap, and very filling. I like their chicken and dumplings and catfish. Lunch on a weekday is way easier than Sunday morning breakfast, but they serve breakfast all day, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    The wait and the crowds were the only memorable thing about Cracker Barrel for me. And my friends want to go there *ALL* the damn time. Whatever, it's overrated corny fake country kitsch.

Waffle House was more my speed, it appeals to the blue collar trucker in me. AND it's got a cool jukebox.
    I like the shop because they put Christmas and Halloween stuff on clearance and you end up with some cute stuff that no one else has. I have even purchased clothing there that I get compliments on that you would NEVER, I swear, know that's where I got it. You just have to dig through the junk. lol

I am pretty pissed off that most of my family is always like, "Why don't you ever go to Waffle House???" and I'm like, the nearest one is like 200 miles away. I think I would like it, especially if they have a jukebox. I hear they have a million different kinds of hash browns, too? I don't know. I should just road trip to Waffle House once and for all. I think I was there as a kid, but I honestly don't remember it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    When I go out for eggs I always order them over medium so no one can slip me any egg substitute. Besides, I love the way the yolk oozes into my grits and/or hash browns. The grits are what I miss most about Bob Evans, they've got real grits instead of the instant stuff.
    We used to have Bob Evans. I love real grits, too. Sigh. I sound like I live in the boonies, but I really don't. It's just that everything closes down around here and/or the traffic makes it impossible to do anything.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information