Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: How do you eat eggs? The non-political egg thread

With scattered-smothered-covered hashbrowns on the side.
    Waterslide and fgg like this.

I looked it up and evidently adding vinegar to the water is the secret to easy-peel hard-boiled eggs. I add about 1 tbsp vinegar, drop eggs into boiling water, boil for 11 minutes, then remove them. If I can, I'll do an ice bath to hurry it up. Haven't gotten the green or gray ring, and they peel pretty easy. The site I found which did all the trial and error said that older eggs actually peel easier and turn out better.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I just want to start out by saying that I love that so many people here love eggs and other foods, because I cannot tell you how tortured I am day in, day out by picky eaters. I don't know what I did in a past life to attract all the picky eaters like moths to the flame, but it's the bane of my existence. I know a lot of people who think eggs are repulsive.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to make diner-style scrambled eggs? I have been trying since childhood to duplicate how they taste in restaurants, and they're never right. They're good, they're just not diner-y enough for me.
    I know places like Denny's and IHOP add batter to their eggs. I'm assuming pancake batter.

And I'm one of those picky eaters, something about eggs makes me nauseous, particularly the yolks. I do eat them, but with a fuck-ton of cheese, onions, peppers, spinach, etc. I've discovered I love egg salad as long as it's got mayo, mustard, lemon juice, chives and cayenne.

But I still can't handle a runny yolk or plain scrambled eggs.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; February 3rd, 2017 at 01:53 AM.
    Waterslide likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

There's a recipe for boiling eggs?? I just stick 'em in a pan of water, bring to the boil, reduce heat and come back to them after 7 or 8 minutes to take the pan off the ring and leave the eggs in the water until just before I hand them over to himself for eating on the way to work.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I just want to start out by saying that I love that so many people here love eggs and other foods, because I cannot tell you how tortured I am day in, day out by picky eaters. I don't know what I did in a past life to attract all the picky eaters like moths to the flame, but it's the bane of my existence. I know a lot of people who think eggs are repulsive.

Me, on the other hand...I love them any and every way. I think the only eggs I've never tried are shirred, and I think I mainly want to try them because I just like the way the word shirred sounds. One of my favorite ways to eat eggs is in a diner or Denny's-type place, scrambled and slightly underdone. But again, I will eat them any way depending on my mood, even raw with things like sukiyaki. I don't down a raw egg for breakfast though.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to make diner-style scrambled eggs? I have been trying since childhood to duplicate how they taste in restaurants, and they're never right. They're good, they're just not diner-y enough for me.
    Some places do not use eggs only. I have ordered one egg for my son, and it was a huge portion. IHOP's eggs in their omlets are mixed with pancake batter, powdered eggs, or imitation eggs I think.

Ever been to a buffet and had their eggs? They're watery and rubbery.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Some places do not use eggs only. I have ordered one egg for my son, and it was a huge portion. IHOP's eggs in their omlets are mixed with pancake batter, powdered eggs, or imitation eggs I think.

Ever been to a buffet and had their eggs? They're watery and rubbery.
    Hmm, I will have to try the pancake batter trick just to experiment. I figure as much about the powdered eggs, at least part way. I know some places also put the eggs in a blender which sort of aerates them, which gives them a kind of odd texture. I also think they use food coloring, because no matter how long I beat the eggs, they never get that uniformly bright yellow color.

I have had buffet eggs. Golden Corral, of all places, has really good eggs, and I watched the guy make them -- cracks some eggs, scrambles up a ton of them in a thing that looks like a giant wok, and that's about it. I think because they cook so many at a time, they set more to my liking (or in other words aren't be cooked through completely). But I do not like other buffet places where the eggs really are baked into rubber. That really is nasty.

ETA

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I looked it up and evidently adding vinegar to the water is the secret to easy-peel hard-boiled eggs. I add about 1 tbsp vinegar, drop eggs into boiling water, boil for 11 minutes, then remove them. If I can, I'll do an ice bath to hurry it up. Haven't gotten the green or gray ring, and they peel pretty easy. The site I found which did all the trial and error said that older eggs actually peel easier and turn out better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

I know places like Denny's and IHOP add batter to their eggs. I'm assuming pancake batter.

And I'm one of those picky eaters, something about eggs makes me nauseous, particularly the yolks. I do eat them, but with a fuck-ton of cheese, onions, peppers, spinach, etc. I've discovered I love egg salad as long as it's got mayo, mustard, lemon juice, chives and cayenne.

But I still can't handle a runny yolk or plain scrambled eggs.

Helps when you read the whole thread...duh. Like I said, I never heard about this pancake batter thing, and I have asked almost everyone. I'm intrigued now...

Eggs kind of make me ill too if I eat them too often. I definitely have a limit, unless I'm craving them, and then I have to have them all the time.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^I should read it all too. I some how missed Beeyotch's post.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I learned something new today. Never heard the thing about pancake batter. And the purpose is...? Guess I need to google.
    fgg and Waterslide like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I think the pancake batter is a texture thing? Or maybe it makes them super thin when they're put on the griddle, so you can just keep pulling them into the center, kind of forming layers like a croissant. I don't know how else to explain it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Yeah, what I read is that it's to make the omelets fluffier. I was thinking it might make them easier to fold so perfectly. To me, it's filler. If I wanted pancakes with my eggs I would order them. No wonder a 3-egg omelet looks so much bigger in a restaurant than when you make one at home.
    Waterslide likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

^^^ agree.

i have fond memories of going to IHOP as a kid. so we took our daughters to a local one a few years ago. the meal was vomitous. pancakes were gross and sweet, and the scrambled eggs had a NASTY texture. ugh. never went back again. we only go to local breakfast places, now.

I don't know if I've ever been to an IHOP. There really aren't any close by, but we do have a Denny's. I feel the same way about them as you do IHOP. If I want breakfast, I'll hit the local Greek family restaurant. But now all omelets are suspect in my book. I will have to read the fine print or ask the server before I ever order one again.

fgg

we go to cracker barrel for breakfast. i've probably been to ihop, denny's or one of those less than 5 times in my life.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I've never been to a Cracker Barrel either. Sheltered life.
    czb likes this.

fgg

^OMG! grandpa's breakfast with country fried steak, (who cares about the eggs), biscuits, gravy and hashbrown casserole...nom nom nom.
    Waterslide likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Damn I love IHOP and Denny's. Crack Barrel's pancakes are as big as my head. Yum.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information