Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: How do you eat eggs? The non-political egg thread

Scrambled
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Any way but fried over easy is my fav. My nephew has chickens so we eat their eggs. Amazing.
    czb and KrisNine like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I'm very big on Spanish omelets, and pepper and egg sandwiches on crusty Italian bread at home. I will order different kinds of omelets when eating out. Scrambled bacon and egg on a roll from the deli is incredible in it's own way.

I will only eat well done eggs though, it's one of my food quirks.
    OMG, I hate you now because NOTHING beats an overeasy egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich on a NY deli roll. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I would kill to get those rolls.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

My friend has a few chickens and occasionally I am lucky enough to be able to buy some from him. They are absolutely wonderful The yolks are nearly orange. The flavor is amazing. I haven't bought regular factory chicken eggs in years, and won't ever again. The cage free organic eggs at the store are not as good as my friend's eggs.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

fgg

i don't really love eggs but i will eat them hard-boiled, fried, poached and in omelets. i hate scrambled eggs - i have to choke them down even though it is basically a topping-less omelet.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

czb

i love eggs. my go-to breakfast used to be one egg over easy, topped with a slice of havarti, on top of a piece of toast. lately i've just been having a soft-boiled egg on toast. yum. when i go out for breakfast, usually get a greek omelet.
    gas_chick likes this.

I just want to start out by saying that I love that so many people here love eggs and other foods, because I cannot tell you how tortured I am day in, day out by picky eaters. I don't know what I did in a past life to attract all the picky eaters like moths to the flame, but it's the bane of my existence. I know a lot of people who think eggs are repulsive.

Me, on the other hand...I love them any and every way. I think the only eggs I've never tried are shirred, and I think I mainly want to try them because I just like the way the word shirred sounds. One of my favorite ways to eat eggs is in a diner or Denny's-type place, scrambled and slightly underdone. But again, I will eat them any way depending on my mood, even raw with things like sukiyaki. I don't down a raw egg for breakfast though.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to make diner-style scrambled eggs? I have been trying since childhood to duplicate how they taste in restaurants, and they're never right. They're good, they're just not diner-y enough for me.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

if anyone feels like sharing their most perfect hardboiled egg recipe that would be great. I've been fumbling for years, trying to find the holy grail recipe that produces easy to peel eggs, with firm white and yellow hard yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    if anyone feels like sharing their most perfect hardboiled egg recipe that would be great. I've been fumbling for years, trying to find the holy grail recipe that produces easy to peel eggs, with firm white and yellow hard yolks.
    I do the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe and I almost never get the green yolk issue. Let me see if it's online.

ETA - Hard-Cooked Eggs

Hard-Cooked Eggs

Ingredients

large eggs*
    • Cold water

RATINGS

BY 6 PEOPLE
    RATE THIS!

Directions

• Place eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan (do not stack eggs). Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat (water will have large rapidly breaking bubbles). Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes; drain.
    • Run cold water over the eggs or place them in ice water until cool enough to handle; drain.
    • To peel eggs, gently tap each egg on the countertop. Roll the egg between the palms of your hands. Peel off eggshell, starting at the large end.
    • Makes 6 hard-cooked eggs

From the Test Kitchen

*If you have extra-large eggs, let eggs stand in the boiled water for 18 minutes.

I always use ice water, but other people just use really cold water.

I think if the eggs don't peel very well, it's because they're older. Or maybe it means were in for a bad winter? I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking of old wives' tales.
    dexter7 likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

czb

i do joy of cooking. no grey yolk here, either.

^Yeah, I think any of those classic cookbook recipes will work.

ETA - Regarding the peels. I had it the other way around, but this doesn't explain why grocery store eggs sometimes come off in little chips and pieces, because there is no way those eggs are that fresh, at least where I live.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/t...iled-eggs.html

OLD VERSUS YOUNG

The age of an egg does make a difference, but only when the eggs are super fresh: Freshly laid eggs are more likely to stick to the shell. In the US, eggs can sit for up to 30 days before being packaged, and the sell-by date can be a further 30 days after that, which means that, most likely, the eggs you're getting at the supermarket are old enough that no further aging at home should be necessary. Still, it certainly doesn't hurt to look for the package with the closest expiration date.
    If you're buying your eggs direct from the farmer, or if you keep a couple hens out back, you may want to let your eggs sit around for a couple of weeks before using them for boiling. (And if you want to cook those super-fresh eggs, might I recommend poaching them using our foolproof method? It's almost a shame to do anything else with them!)
    Much more important to the result is the way in which the egg is cooked.

This is the recipe I always use for hard-boiled eggs.

* Exported from MasterCook *

The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

Recipe By : Julia Child, “The Way to Cook”
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:40
    Categories : Cheese/Eggs Family Recipes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    For 1-4 Eggs:
    1 to 4 Eggs
    2 quarts water -- * see note
    For 12 Eggs:
    12 Eggs
    3 1/2 quarts water -- * see note
    For 24 Eggs:
    24 Eggs
    6 quarts water -- * see note
    Special Equipment_________________________
    High (not wide) Saucepan with cover
    Bowl w/ice cubes & water (large enough to
    completely cover eggs)

*note: water should cover the eggs by 1 inch, so use a tall pan, and limit
    cooking to 2 dozen eggs at a time.

1. Lay the eggs in the pan and add the amount of cold water specified. Set
    over high heat and bring just to the boil; remove from heat, cover the pan,
    and let sit exactly 17 minutes.

2. When the time is up, transfer the eggs to the bowl of ice cubes and
    water. Chill for 2 minutes while bringing the cooking water to the boil
    again. (This 2 minute chilling shrinks the body of the egg from the shell.)

3. Transfer the eggs (6 at a time only) to the boiling water, bring to the
    boil again, and let boil for 10 seconds - this expands the shell from the
    egg. Remove eggs, and place back into the ice water.

Chilling the eggs promptly after each step prevents that dark line from
    forming, and if time allows, leave the eggs in the ice water after the last
    step for 15 to 20 minutes. Chilled eggs are easier to peel, as well.

The peeled eggs will keep perfectly in the refrigerator, submerged in water
    in an uncovered container, for 2 to 3 days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The perfect hard boiled egg has a tender white, and a yolk properly
    set. There is not the faintest darkening of yolk where the white encircles
    it (a chemical reaction caused by too much heat in the cooking process).
    Eggs cooked this way can also be peeled neatly.

The system described here, developed by the Georgia Egg Board, takes a bit
    of fussing - but it really does produce an absolutely Perfect Hard Boiled Egg!

RecipeSource: The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg
    Waterslide and dexter7 like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

poached and I have a 15 year old that makes them perfectly!

I do Waterslide's recipe and I get perfect hard boiled eggs every time!

Most of the time I eat them hard-boiled, cut in half and with a healthy dose of pepper. I haven't made hard-boiled eggs in quite awhile ... I get the bag of pre-cooked Eggland's Best eggs. I'm the only one that eats them so they're there when I need them (I'm a bit protein deficient). I love deviled eggs during the holidays, but only the way my mother taught me to make them. If I'm cooking eggs, I cook them scrambled, with no runnyness at all. I never learned how to cook a fried egg. I could go through a dozen and would screw up every one. If someone else is cooking them, I like them fried, over medium. I eat them with toast to sop up the yolk. I also love a spinach omelette with a little tomato.

I can make this a political thread!! I live in NJ where one of our worst governors in recent history (Florio) made it against the law to serve runny eggs. It was considered very dangerous because of possible salmonella poisoning. Mind you, NJ has a trillion real problems that could be fixed with laws, but for some reason, Florio had a fixation on runny eggs.

The Egg Returns, Brazenly In the Raw - The New York Times
    Sunny Side Down: Business | Sunny Side Down: Runny Yolks Banned Under New Jersey Law | Seattle Times Newspaper
    Waterslide likes this.

^lol I remember there was a big salmonella scare a few years back and they were talking about making runny eggs illegal here, too. Thankfully for those of us who like runny eggs, it didn't go anywhere, but sometimes I just don't get what politicians are thinking.
    Nevan likes this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information