Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is holding a drink everywhere you go an American thing?

Default Re: Is holding a drink everywhere you go an American thing?

Usually there is an open container law, and you can't carry around drinks when you're not in designated areas (or your own home).

Weird about Vancouver, because I remember visiting there and being able to go and order a drink to go. I can't do that here.

When I was in New Orleans, people were drinking all over the place in the French Quarter. Rule was no glass outside.

They called them "go" cups when I was in NO.

People who carry drinks EVERYWHERE they go are not called Americans: they are called idiots. Unless you live in Death Valley why the need to lug a drink everywhere???

i don't think i've really ever seen this. i take coffee w me on the way to class but it's either that or no coffee in night classes which are 3 hours and often boring. i keep water in my backback because i get thirsty. i've not heard of people just caring it out in the open though. that's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    It's also not exactly their job to follow you like a sick puppy waiting for you to make a selection so it can be carried to your fitting room individually while you continue shopping. You have arms too, and that drink does not belong being carried around in any kind of retail store. The chance of you dropping your coffee on the clothes or floor (both being problematic) are higher than you think, and while the staff may be nice while they're cleaning up after you, I can guarantee not only are their thoughts somewhat different, but you may find yourself getting different treatment when you return.
    Do you not go to nice department stores? They are begging to take your clothes so that hopefully you will buy them. If it is not their job to take my clothes to the dressing room, what is their job exactly? Maybe you should get out more...

^Yes, I have shopped at both Nordstrom's and Neiman's (the specific stores you mentioned), and so does my mother on a more than regular basis. They do not have sales associates that follow you around and take your individual selections to the fitting rooms. You may however, find one and ask them to take some of your items and start a fitting room.

Also, speaking as someone you expect to be following you around, as I also hold that job, that type of customer is absolutely dreaded and the associates will do anything to have someone ELSE help them first. Then once that customer leaves it will be a "can you believe they acted that way?!"

And the original topic: it is simply inappropriate to be actually shopping with a drink in hand. Too many things that can happen where that drink could spill, and then it becomes beyond rude.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    ^Yes, I have shopped at both Nordstrom's and Neiman's (the specific stores you mentioned), and so does my mother on a more than regular basis. They do not have sales associates that follow you around and take your individual selections to the fitting rooms. You may however, find one and ask them to take some of your items and start a fitting room.

Also, speaking as someone you expect to be following you around, as I also hold that job, that type of customer is absolutely dreaded and the associates will do anything to have someone ELSE help them first. Then once that customer leaves it will be a "can you believe they acted that way?!"

And the original topic: it is simply inappropriate to be actually shopping with a drink in hand. Too many things that can happen where that drink could spill, and then it becomes beyond rude.
    Uh, yes they do really help you at Neiman's. It is called customer service. I barely take a dress off the rack and they are asking if they can get me a dressing room. They work on commission so of course they want you to buy. It isn't Target. Can I ask you what else you think the sales people at Neiman's do except help you with clothes and sizes? It is their job. Perhaps if they can tell a person isn't going to buy anything they don't help...

dakodos, i see your point. any time i go shopping, other than at walmart, associates fall all over themselves trying to help me. maybe it's a canandian thing but they offer great service. i don't have experience w coffee/drinks as i am a spaz and don't want to ruin clothes lol. but service wise, what are sales people being paid to do? be helpful.

There is a HUGE difference between being helpful and following a person around like a sad puppy or something. It is a fine line and many customers do get offended if you attempt to help them "too much" or are in their way-which is very likely to happen if you walk around with them.

Many times it is all the sales associate can do to keep up with the unwanted items from the fitting room. This ends up being their major task on busy days, not giving customer service. They help as much as possible, but sometimes there is just too much to do unless you want the fitting room area to look like an Old Navy.

I don't care what kind of customer service is available, drinks have no business on a sales floor. If you're thirsty, sit down, finish your drink, then shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    I don't care what kind of customer service is available, drinks have no business on a sales floor. If you're thirsty, sit down, finish your drink, then shop.
    Well, if you have ever been to a nice shop they give you champagne. If you are buying a 4,000 dress they will get you a cup of coffee. At Neiman's downtown in Dallas they have an espresso bar IN the store a few feet from the clothing. So get educated about fine shopping.

Well, I'm sorry, ma'am, I'm just a hick and while we do have a Half of Half store here, sometimes I splurge and get me a tank top at Wal Mart. If I ever go back to night school to get my high school diploma, I might get me a couple of nice new tops at Sears. That'll look real nice. I just didn't think it was very proper like to walk around in all them nice clothes with your Mr. Pibb, but I see now that there is a big old world out there that is beyond my simple understanding. Thank you kindly, ma'am.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    Well, if you have ever been to a nice shop they give you champagne. If you are buying a 4,000 dress they will get you a cup of coffee. At Neiman's downtown in Dallas they have an espresso bar IN the store a few feet from the clothing. So get educated about fine shopping.
    It's also those stores who are immediately rude to the people they think can't afford items, and will mock those customers that can.

If they provide drinks for you, fine. Otherwise, you don't take a drink into a shop because it's rude, a health and safety hazard, and is going to end up either on the clothes, floor, or on the child that some other piss poor mannered customer has allowed to run around the store.

SVZ

It must be so awesome to be so fabulous

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Well, I'm sorry, ma'am, I'm just a hick and while we do have a Half of Half store here, sometimes I splurge and get me a tank top at Wal Mart. If I ever go back to night school to get my high school diploma, I might get me a couple of nice new tops at Sears. That'll look real nice. I just didn't think it was very proper like to walk around in all them nice clothes with your Mr. Pibb, but I see now that there is a big old world out there that is beyond my simple understanding. Thank you kindly, ma'am.
    '

ROFLMAO! Lobelia this is why I lurves you.

I don't know how it got started but about ten years ago around here everyone started toting huge assed coffees or/and water all the time. Since I'm usually rushing off to do something or trying to choke down the daily amount of water I'm supposed to be drinking I usually have coffee or water in my hand. It's a convenience thing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information