Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is holding a drink everywhere you go an American thing?

Default Re: Is holding a drink everywhere you go an American thing?

I carry water because I drink a lot of it, but I don't sip from it constantly, nor do I have it surgically attached to my hand!

I was talking about coffee and pop when I started this thread -- they are not hydrating or good for you.

SVZ

well apparently they are hydrating, you can put them into your total hydration count for the day. but no not good for you, well coffee does have health benefits.

Coffee is a diuretic, how can it be hydrating?

SVZ

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002...hydnbfi402.cfm

new research points to average levels of drinking it aren't dehydrating.

there actually wasn't a link between caffeine and dehydration, it acts as a diuretic which led people to believe it did. but apparently it doesn't.

Goody. Then I can keep drinking it!

SVZ

it also reduces your chances of gall stones.

speeds up digestion without having an effect on nutrient absorption

ummm, might fight alzheimer's

and helps fight cavities and certain types of oral bacteria

I agree that it's pretty crass to eat while walking down the street - if I grab a hotdog from a vendor or whatever, I'll sit down on a park bench to eat it. One time, I was completely starving - to the point of feeling queasy - and ate a hot dog while walking to class (outside). I would have been late otherwise, and I know I would have felt like crap the whole time in class, plus my stomach does growl when I'm hungry. But I fully understood that it was not a very sophisticated thing to do, LOL. I just said 'screw it', that one time.

Slugging water non-stop can look a little trashy, I guess, and I find carrying water bottles in my hand a little unwieldy, though I, too, try to keep some with me throughout the day (in a backpack or what have you).

As for carrying a cup of coffee, tea, steamed milk, etc. - I do it sometimes on really cold days, hehe. It keeps me warm when nothing else is cutting it. I do find that I don't actually sip from it much while walking down the street. More when I'm stopped at lights.

I think mainly what we're seeing, though, is people, with drinks, on their way to or from somewhere. Tons of students bring beverages to class, people take them to the office, get one for their subway commute, etc. I don't think it's so much that folks are getting coffee to fuel them on their strolls. I would guess they're probably just en route most of the time.

Oh, as per the question of locale - hmm... my only guess would be that it occurs more in pedestrian-dominated areas where the issue I mentioned of commuting via foot/subway is at hand? I know I don't really see it in smaller towns or car-dominated suburbia. (I know you are in Vancouver, PB, and I think you teach at a school? So this doesn't really make sense in your context, but it's the best I can come up with! )
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

If I tried to eat & walk, I would trip and bust it & my food would go flying. Eat and walk? I can't imagine, no way.

SVZ

I find if I'm out and about in Toronto, I'm always late for something, so I really don't have time. But I don't eat on the subway

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    I find if I'm out and about in Toronto, I'm always late for something, so I really don't have time. But I don't eat on the subway
    Nobody really does, but a lot of people have water bottles, juice, or coffee on the subway. I'm *hoping* the eating-while-walking thing is the exception, I'm pretty much just addressing drinking, lol.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

SVZ

oh no, i've seen people pull out the take out carton with the knife and forks and go at it....it unfortunately, stinks.

Well, celebs probably do not want to sit at a cafe table and finish a frapp at Starbucks while people are snapping pics. Often, celeb pics are taken while they are shopping. I ALWAYS take a beverage shopping. It is arduous work.

A*O

We have a cafe culture here - probably the Italian and Greek influences in Melbourne. You drink your coffee sitting at a table with friends or watching the world go by. Mind you, we have the climate where you can sit outside for a leisurely latte. People do take their drinks with them, but usually it's only water.

OT interesting that coffee isn't dehydrating - it's certainly a diurettic (sp). It goes straight through me!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have to say I've never heard of walking and drinking being rude, crass, vulgar, whatever. I can see how eating might look weird, because eating just about anything while walking would look awkward. But this drinking thing is news to me.

I think it's also true that most people you see drinking and walking are on their way somewhere and want to get it in before they get there.

Now that I think back, when I was in high school, on cold days I'd go down to a nearby coffee shop and get a hot chocolate. I'd drink it and walk around the neighborhood looking in shop windows and sipping, warming my hands. It was nice. You should try it sometime.

I find it weird to go shopping with a drink in my hand. First, it's hard to paw through racks with only one hand, much less push a cart etc. Then there is the matter of spillage, even with a secure top it can and does happen. A lot of stores don't allow it here, I don't know about elsewhere.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information