Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever suspected a restaurant of serving something fake?

I am very picky about Chinese restaurants because I've heard so many horror stories about them either using fake ingredients or not cooking the food properly. There is a rumor about a Chinese buffet in Houston (Lucky Village) serving dog meat, but I don't see how they could do it and not be busted and publicly humiliated by Marvin Zindler, so I still eat there.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Chinese buffet in Houston (Lucky Village)
    I'll have to try that place out, always wondered what dog tastes like..

If you want to know what roasted cat is like, come over to the King Buffet on the southeast side of town.

Quote Originally Posted by slimskater View Post
    Speaking of cheap Chinese restaurants, there's this buffet that I go to sometimes that has long been rumored to serve cat meat and pass it off as chicken (chicken on a stick).

One guy I know peeped into the kitchen when he was walking by and saw a couple of skinned kitties on a table with a butcher knife. At first I thought he was BSing, but then a few months later a woman I know from somewhere else saw what appeared to be a cat skin in a garbage can at the back of the restaurant. It's only a matter of time before the health department shuts that place down.
    Skinned cats look identical to skinned rabbits. I think the only difference is a small bone somewhere in the chest area. (?) However, since I've never heard of rabbits being used in Chinese food, your guess is as good as mine.

My local Chinese place is boring; all they do is put pork in my sweet-and-sour chicken.
    2 years...

There was a chinese restaurant that got shut down in toronto for serving seagull.

Turns out they're a protected species lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

I heard that the way to teel the difference between cat meat and other meats (chicken, pork, etc.) is that cat meat is "grainy". I don't know what constitues "grainy". I got the info from an ex boyfriend. He is from NYC and I just took his assertion to mean that it's common knowledge. Of course, I was young and naive at the time (it was 14 years ago), but whenever I eat at a Chinese restaurant, I am suspicious about the meat and questioning whether or not it has a "grainy" quality.

I hate it when restaurants advertize a dish as containing lobster, and then it turns out to be languostinos (sp), which are "fresh water lobster". I HATE languostinos. They do not taste like regular, run-of-the-mill, Maine lobster, IMHO. Languostinos are like nasty week old shrimp that are chewy and overcooked.

Pacific Breeze, ICAM. The Red Lobster chain restaurants use fake crab in their crab alfredo. Disgusting.

Red lobster is the fast food of seabugs.

ewww a langostino..

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    I don't suspect: I'm SURE McDonald's serves flavored styrofoam instead of burgers. I still eat there though.

Yes, they can. I think the only human foods restricted to them are chocolate and beans.
    I thought grapes/raisins were also very bad for dogs.?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Coffee's bad for dogs too because of the caffeine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information