Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Greek recipes

I love Greek food! A*O's mint idea set my teeth on edge. Never! Plus,if you are going to try these please follow the original before you start tweaking.
    This was a Public Service announcement.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Do either of you have any lamb recipes to post? My husband and I had the best lamb dishes when we honeymooned in Greece last year. We loved all of the meat in yogurt sauce dishes.

A*O

Damn! I was going to put a squirt of Colgate in it so nobody could tell. I'm doing Effie's chicken tonite but I'm going to use thigh meat, you can't stop me.

And now the great aubergine/eggplant debate. To pre-salt or not? Allegedly it draws out the "bitterness". Also, to pre-fry or char?
    sputnik and yanna like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Damn! I was going to put a squirt of Colgate in it so nobody could tell. I'm doing Effie's chicken tonite but I'm going to use thigh meat, you can't stop me.

And now the great aubergine/eggplant debate. To pre-salt or not? Allegedly it draws out the "bitterness". Also, to pre-fry or char?
    Yes,salt & press.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

but I'm going to use thigh meat, you can't stop me.
    haha
    chicken breast is for people who don't like chicken. or who are on diets. either way, it's tasteless and it's the last thing i want to eat on a chicken.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This is going to be some of my favorite recipes. I love Greek food.

For aubergines I leave them in salted water for about 20 minutes before I do anything with them. Not sure about pre-frying etc, depends on what you want to do with them, I guess.

I'll get back to you, Daphne with lamb recipes. I usually bake kid cause most lamb tastes a bit too fatty to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    haha
    chicken breast is for people who don't like chicken. or who are on diets. either way, it's tasteless and it's the last thing i want to eat on a chicken.
    Oh, but you have not eaten chicken breast I have prepared. I make it so succulent and juicy you'll finish it and ask for more.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

I only eat my Momma's Greek food. I'm spoiled like that.
    yanna and effie2 like this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

shit, i've just sat here and read this and it sounds as if I've been posessed by Homer Simpson... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tzatziki... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm eggplant.......

and i'm not greek but i don't salt the eggplant before frying. I run it through a milk/egg/salt/pepper bath before battering though so maybe it's similiar.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Eggplants you always cover in salted water for half an hour,you ll see the water turn brown and all bitterness gone.Squeeze them dry with your hands.If you ll just fry them.prepare a batter of all purpose flour ,water .pinch of salt and baking soda(you can use just flour and beer instead)Same batter is used to fry any vegetable you like,plus calamari.Just dip product in the batter and fry.Slice eggplants thin to fry,thicker if you use it in moussaka and no batter there.

Today i ve made oven baked potatoes.Slice them real thin,put them in layers in a baking pan,salt and pepper,some lemon juice 4 or 5 sliced garlic cloves ,some water and olive oil.Bake them until crisp.You turn them upside down half bake.I a large bowl cut 5 tomatoes,red and ripe,about 5 slices each one,take seeds off.Mince with your fingers 650 grms of feta cheese ,half a cup of oil and mix tomatoes and feta crumbs well.After your potatoes are done and crispy both sides,arrange the tomatoes on top to cover and sprinkle feta on top.Bake high or grill until feta turns golden.Green or tuna salad is fine.Tuna salad by Effie to follow.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

*waits for tuna salad*... yet, I now want to go to the deli and get some breakfast.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Ha, I made oven baked potatoes yesterday. But no fancy, smanchy toppings for me. I boiled them first for a bit then I cut them in cubes, leaving the peel on. I lined some parchment on a pan and put olive oil on top. I left the oven to heat up to 200 C or so then put the cubed potatoes on top of the hot oil and sprinkled on them rosmari, oregano, paprika and garlic powder. Just bake turning them a bit until they start to look crispy. If they are small potatoes you can get out of boiling them first.

As for tuna salad, I bet Effie's is better but mine is just cucumber, tuna on top, scallions (I HATE peeling scallions, they are so fiddly and annoying but they taste good) and I make a dressing with half mayo, half Greek yoghurt. Also add some sliced canned olives, gherkins if I have them, as well as some crumbled barley rusk:

Which I don't know if you can find, to be honest but I am sure other dry bread or even just croutons would do.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

Now,if ANY of you get fat,Do Not Blame me!You ve been warned.
    Tuna salad.4 cans of tuna meat in oil or water.5 green onions,bunch of parsley,two fistfuls of walnuts,3 heaped spoonfuls of mayo.In a bowl crumble tuna with a fork,add thinly sliced parsley and green onions,chopped walnuts(put them between paper towel and beat them with something heavy.Pretend you do it to a kardashian.Do not make a pulp out of it.Add to the mix,pour in mayo and mix well.
    McJag likes this.

Last time I was in Athens I ate 20.000 calories a day. I gained 5 pounds in 2 days and it's always like this. I eat and eat and eat at Effie's house. It's quite astonishing as I'm not much of an eater in general. The Mr. is the same, he loves his MIL's cooking, too. We stuff our faces 24/7.
    Mel1973 likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

But it is only for a few days,so there!Next time,new stuff,i promise!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information