Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Milk Debate

Default Re: The Great Milk Debate

aaaaaggh I had frozen yogurt last night and it made me throw up.
    2 years...

I'm really getting away from milk these days. I've also stopped eating cheese, but I do like yogurt once in awhile. I get a local organic yogurt that's low in sugar. It's really good - I just ate a 454 gram container!

No way no way no WAY would I ever give up cheese. Even though drinking milk causes problems for me, cheese doesn't, and I just love it too much.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by cynic
    I knew it. My taste buds say "bad, nasty, spit it out." It tastes so sour to me. But, then again, the buds are still recovering from 27 years of smoking, so maybe I ought to try it again and see if it still tastes the same.
    No, your taste buds are right - yoghurt is nasty stuff. Smells like sick to me.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I love milk. I only drink the skim milk though. I have never ever had a problem with milk. Also love all dairy products. Cheese!!! Do not care at all about the antibiotics and hormones and stuff-they are good for you!

I could never give up cheese either *quickly eats another piece*

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita
    I love milk. I only drink the skim milk though. I have never ever had a problem with milk. Also love all dairy products. Cheese!!! Do not care at all about the antibiotics and hormones and stuff-they are good for you!
    if by good you mean how BIG we all are getting, & kids going through puberty at younger & younger ages, & compromised immune systems from the antibiotics, then yeah! milk's great!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Taking calcium for osteoporosis
    Action Set
    By Healthwise

Many foods contain high amounts of calcium. It is important that you also get enough vitamin D and phosphorus along with calcium to help your body absorb the calcium. The following table shows foods that are rich in calcium.

Food/Serving size

Calcium (mg) per serving
    Sardines in oil 3 oz 324
    Milk (whole, 2%, 1%, and skim) 1 cup 291–302
    Cheddar cheese 1 1/2 oz 306
    Yogurt (plain) 8 oz 415
    Yogurt (low-fat) 8 oz 245–384
    Canned salmon (with bones) 3 oz 181
    Broccoli (raw) 1 cup 42
    Turnip greens (boiled) 1/2 cup 99
    Ice cream 1/2 cup 85
    Cottage cheese (1% milk fat) 1 cup 138
    Tofu (if made with calcium sulfate) 1/2 cup 138–204

The best source of calcium is milk fortified with vitamin D. Four glasses a day provide 1,200 mg of calcium. Other good sources of calcium include shrimp, blackstrap molasses, calcium-fortified tofu, and almonds. You can also buy foods that have been calcium-fortified, such as cereals and orange juice, although the amount of calcium in each varies.

Because most Americans get only half the calcium they need from their diet, many people need to take a calcium supplement. Everyone who has been diagnosed with osteoporosis should take calcium and vitamin D supplements in addition to eating a diet rich in these nutrients.

Types of calcium supplements include:

* Calcium carbonate, which is 40% elemental calcium.
    * Calcium citrate, which is 21% elemental calcium. While lower in elemental calcium than calcium carbonate, calcium citrate is easier to digest and does not cause constipation as much as do other types of calcium supplements.
    * Calcium gluconate and calcium lactate, which contain a low amount of elemental calcium.

The following table shows examples of calcium supplements. Some of these products include vitamin D. Be sure to take vitamin D with calcium, either in combination or separately, to help your body absorb the calcium into your bones.

Product name/Calcium in each tablet
    Healthy Woman Bone Health Supplement plus vitamin D 600 mg calcium carbonate
    Caltrate (tablets or chewables) 600 mg calcium carbonate
    Citracal Calcium Citrate Plus D, Coated Caplets 315 mg calcium citrate
    Calci-Chew Wafers 500 mg calcium carbonate
    Viactiv Soft Calcium Chews plus D 500 mg calcium carbonate
    Vitaline 250 mg calcium citrate

Take the number of tablets per day that satisfies your daily recommended amount of calcium based on your age and health condition. You should not get more than 2,500 mg per day of calcium, whether it is from supplements or food.

source:
    http://health.msn.com/encyclopedia/h...ntid=100078847

looks like dairy products have the highest calcium content on that list.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD
    No where?

Stoneyfield Farm makes an excellent, organic, hormone/chemical free yogurt, and that is what my daughter eats.
    That's what I get for Prince Phillip when I can get him to eat dairy.

I have to laugh whenever dairy is pushed as a panacea to prevent osteoporosis. Studies have shown that countries which consume massive quantities of dairy also have the highest rates of osteoporosis ... why? ... because dairy is very high in protein and when you overeat protein, your body leeches the calcium from your bones. Osteoporosis is caused by overeating protein and not a lack of calcium. This is one of the reasons that the USDA's recommendation for calcium intake is so high ... to compensate for the fact that the North American diet is so high in protein. The World Health Organization's recommendation for calcium intake is quite low ... because the majority of the world's population doesn't eat so much protein and calcium retention is not a problem.

Of course the Dairy Lobby is going to push dairy products and tell everyone that their products are necessary for good health ... this is a business for them. It puts money in their bank accounts and they really don't give a flying fig if the stuff makes people sick and fat. It's all about the almighty buck. The ones with money in our society are the ones with the power.

Got milk? ... No, I do not! Not today, not tomorrow, not next week, not ever.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc
    I have to laugh whenever dairy is pushed as a panacea to prevent osteoporosis. Studies have shown that countries which consume massive quantities of dairy also have the highest rates of osteoporosis ... why? ... because dairy is very high in protein and when you overeat protein, your body leeches the calcium from your bones. Osteoporosis is caused by overeating protein and not a lack of calcium. This is one of the reasons that the USDA's recommendation for calcium intake is so high ... to compensate for the fact that the North American diet is so high in protein. The World Health Organization's recommendation for calcium intake is quite low ... because the majority of the world's population doesn't eat so much protein and calcium retention is not a problem.

Of course the Dairy Lobby is going to push dairy products and tell everyone that their products are necessary for good health ... this is a business for them. It puts money in their bank accounts and they really don't give a flying fig if the stuff makes people sick and fat. It's all about the almighty buck. The ones with money in our society are the ones with the power.

Got milk? ... No, I do not! Not today, not tomorrow, not next week, not ever.
    so true! in fact, i was just talking about this yesterday... and it was found that the ppl who lived in the north & ate a high protein, high calcium diet had more instances of osteoporosis than those of the south, who ate low protein, low calcium diets.

the dairy board is usually the ones funding the research, which of course, is biased.

if you look at nature, almost all creatures feed their young with mother's milk--for a short time. then they move on to solid food. but human;'s are the only ones who feed from another species' milk... and way past the infant stage. milk is a high fat, high nutrition food that is really only meant for a short time.

I used to drink milk when I was younger because my parents told me it was healthy. Now I know better. I only eat cheese or youghurt with no added sugar. You can mix your own youghurt with fruits/berries and it's very good.

Seriously, you all have but this much thought into milk and dairy products? I glass of milk a day isn't going to kill you. There are plenty of foods we eat that aren't "naturally" designed for us to digest. How about those butter substitute "spreads?" That's nothing but crap that clogs your arteries.

My motto is everything's ok in moderation. Too much milk can be bad, just like too much sugar, too much protein, etc...

A*O

I think it's great that people are making their own decisions about their food choices without blindly following the propoganda of the milk producers. I could also go on about the SHOCKING amount of sugar (called 'energy' on the label so it sounds good) in nearly all breakfast cereals, especially those targetted at kids (served with milk, natch, LOL).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The only kind of milk I buy is the lactose-free kind and even then I only have it with my cereal. I had switched to soy milk for awhile but the only thing that stuff is good for is cereal. It's sweet tasting and therefore makes anything you mix it with taste sweet also. gross.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information