Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Milk Debate

A*O

Default Re: The Great Milk Debate

I drink very little milk - just a splash of skimmed in a cup of coffee 2-3 times per week. I have plain lo-fat unsweetened yogurt on muesli but I do eat a fair amount of cheese so my dairy intake is probably about average. As a mild asthma sufferer I do notice that if I've been eating too much dairy I get increased asthmatic cough/mucus so I have to drop dairy altogether for a few days to restore the balance. I'm probably a bit allergic, but I LOVE cheese dammit!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I stay away from dairy too and not just because of the lacto thing. When you are a vocalist dairy can create too much mucus in your throat and inhibit your voice, affecting your voice pretty significantly sometimes. Like soy better anyhoo...

Yeah, that's pretty much why I avoid dairy too, Gator. Nothing like coughing up phlegm-y stuff in the middle of an aria.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz
    Well Oreos and water don't go together quite as well, eh?
    But this is quite a valid point as well.
    2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD
    My father is a Chiropractor and I was raised that, bottom line, milk is 'designed' to feed and nurious (sp?) baby cows, period. And the funniest part of this is that my fathers own father was a DAIRY FARMER. I never drank it growing up, and do not now. I detest the taste anyway, always did. But Lobelia, you are correct....
    The Dairy people will tell you 'milk is chock full of vitamin D, vitamin this, vitamin that, calcium and is good for bones/teeth, etc. The truth (as I have been told) is that yes, milk DOES have vitamins and does assist in bone/teeth development--IN BABY COWS! The human body is obviously far different from cows and therefore, is not equipped to absorb all the 'good stuff' that the Dairy people want you to think you are getting, so you are basically pissing out all that calcium/minerals/vitamins. And THEN you get into the crap they feed these cows and the hormones they are injected with etc.
    My daughter is 2 and drinks almost NO milk. I am not keeping it from her mind you, but I haven't necessarily encouraged it either. She drinks water, period.
    She also eats a TON of yogurt (only good Organic stuff w/the good bacteria in it to keep her regular), so I am not concerned about calcium and all that shit with her....I'm fine, I never drank it.

So, I'm on the anti side I guess...and I wonder if there are any others out there of if I'm the only one.
    Good thread AO!
    You do know what yogurt is made from, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    The thing is though, there is about as much anti-soy information out there as anti-milk.
    Absolutely. Brain atrophy is a scary thing.

Silver Member

i drink soy milk. also, if i want real milk, i drink ORGANIC so i get less hormones.

I gave up cow juice years ago, but my son loves it, so I buy organic. It seems to stay fresh for so much longer in the fridge than reg. milk. I drink choc. silk in my coffee now. I can't bring myself to try drinking reg soy milk alone.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I don't drink milk. I also don't eat any foods with milk in them. Reason being that I'm anaphylactic to milk. I eat it/drink it/come in contact with it, I'm at rish for dying.

It's not really bad...I've been anaphylactic since I was born, so I don't crave chocolate or stuff like that.

I use Coffee Rich as a substitute for milk. It tastes much better than any other soy milk I've tasted.

Meaghan.x

organic soy milk for me. i have always hated milk... and the whole factory farm hormone/antibiotics thing is just too freaky for me.

I only use milk in coffee and tea and not always then. I've never really liked it. My hubby drinks a lot of it, but he didn't think that organic milk tasted that great. So he's back to the regular skim. I like Silk from time to time for smoothies when I get tired of yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    You do know what yogurt is made from, right?

No where?

Stoneyfield Farm makes an excellent, organic, hormone/chemical free yogurt, and that is what my daughter eats.

I am spoiled. I get fresh milk every morning from my neighbor. There is so much fresh cream in that milk that it floats to the top. Probably about 700 calories per glass but worth every one.

Nummies.

Isn't yogurt just spoiled milk?.....ug..... It must be good for you, because it tastes horrible to me.

Yogurt is made of milk, but I like it a lot better than milk. And yes, it's very good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Yogurt is made of milk, but I like it a lot better than milk. And yes, it's very good for you.
    I knew it. My taste buds say "bad, nasty, spit it out." It tastes so sour to me. But, then again, the buds are still recovering from 27 years of smoking, so maybe I ought to try it again and see if it still tastes the same. I had read that the cultures in yogurt are good for the digestive system.

A*O

Yes - there's all kinds of 'good' bugs in yogurt. If you want a gentle intro to yogurt then I suggest you try a Greek-style yogurt which often comes with added honey or other flavours. It's FULL of sugar but tastes very creamy and mild (almost like real fresh cream) and once your tastebuds have got used to it then move on to other types.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Non-frozen yogurt is a new thing for me. It was always something other people ate. Right now, the only kind I like is Yoplait lemon burst, which is also probably sugary. A little container of it has like 180 calories. However, it takes a long time for me to eat, so I end up not wanting anything else.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information