Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fruits and vegetables diet

my god you're all so flatulent.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^Using a pressure cooker cuts down considerably on cooking/soaking time for beans. I'm not perfect but I try to only use canned beans when absolutely necessary. The can linings have all sorts of dodgy chemical goodness including apparently Bisphenol A which can leach into the food.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh man good way to shit your pants all day long! not to mention the gas you'll be experiencing!!

A*O

Eggs and dairy are good sources of protein too but in moderation.

As for beans, soaking and then boiling them tastes better but you have to be organised so I keep some tinned ones too. Word of caution about red kidney beans. You must soak and BOIL them for at least 20 minutes, then simmer until they are cooked properly otherwise they can be poisonous. A bf of mine once ate a chilli con carne with undercooked kidney beans and I have never seen anyone so sick in my life. I wanted to take him to hospital but being a bloke he decided to tough it out at home. He wasn't right for weeks afterwards.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Again (as long as you are not a vegan) I would highly recommend skim milk for a protein boost. You can drink it in moderation, use it as a base for creamy veggie soups, etc. and it is good for you!

Also some of the tofu chili mixes are surprisingly good and not too bad for you (as far as processed foods go). I swear with some of them you cannot tell the difference-and beans are perfect in chile too!! Tofu can be surprisingly good and healthy if it is used right and can help fill the protein void for vegans.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Your brain needs fat to survive!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Bronze Member

Some vegetarian products that are awesome:

lightlife brand smart dogs, smart deli "meats", and smart chicken/steak strips

house foods shirataki noodles (20 cal pasta, 40 for the whole bag)

tofu, as mentioned

If you like mashed potatoes, make some mashed cauliflour

If you like sweet potatoes, try mashed/baked/roasted winter squash (you can even make butternut squash fries!)

Eden's organic makes sodium free canned beans if you are worried about salt.

BUT still make sure you get your carbs/fats/proteins in healthy amounts, if you restrict any group your health will suffer.

Gold Member

I have digestive issues and borderline hypertension and I retain water like nobody's business, so diets like this work really well for me. Basically every kind of junk food makes me ill; heavy creamy sauces make me sick, tomato anything, spicy anything, etc. Can't handle chocolate at all, sweet things are too rich; I should be a stick insect with what I eat but sadly I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I have digestive issues and borderline hypertension and I retain water like nobody's business, so diets like this work really well for me. Basically every kind of junk food makes me ill; heavy creamy sauces make me sick, tomato anything, spicy anything, etc. Can't handle chocolate at all, sweet things are too rich; I should be a stick insect with what I eat but sadly I'm not.
    That sounds awful. I hope things change somewhat for you for the better with those issues.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    my god you're all so flatulent.

Silver Member

I've been eating like that for a couple of years now--mostly fruit (4 or more cups) and vegetable salads (about 12 cups). But I do have some beans and soymilk regularly, flax, walnuts, and olive oil for my salads, and of course occasional junk. And beer daily.

You don't need any animal protein but you do need a reliable source of B12 and D also if you don't get sun.

Yes I cheat sometimes, I'd go nuts if I didn't. And I have light beer almost every day.

I put nutribiotic rice protein powder in my fruit salads. It tastes pretty good, which is unusual for a protein powder.

Just wanted to say that eating lots of fruit doesn't help, its still carbohydrates. Everything in moderation.

A*O

Depends on the fruit to a certain extent. Tropical fruits like pineapple, bananas and guava, etc are full of fructose, ie, carbs. A SMALL apple a day is OK and recent research shows that apples have more antioxidants than even blueberries so I reckon it's worth it. Seems the old "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" thing is actually true!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

There's actually no proof yet that antioxidants have any sort of health benefit, though there seems to be a strong suggestion there is.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Gallbladder? You sound like my friend who had to have hers removed years ago. Basically, foods she used to love she can only eat every once in awhile and in small amounts. Also has to take thyroid meds. And she's not a stick insect either.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information