Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Foods You Hate And Can't/Won't Eat

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    In a similar vein, one day I went out and got a dragonfruit from an Asian grocery store. I always thought they were pretty neat looking (like red meteor) and Starburst candy had a dragonfruit flavor that tasted awesome. But when I brought it home and cut it up, my daughter and I found it to be REALLY bland tasting.

Candy, gum, etc. that is supposed to be "fruit" flavored rarely tastes like the actual fruit, IMO, so it's not really a good way to judge a fruit. Honestly, does a cherry flavored candy actually taste like a cherry? Does strawberry Quik taste like an actual strawberry? They're usually way sweeter versions with a hint of wht the actual fruit tastes like.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Candy, gum, etc. that is supposed to be "fruit" flavored rarely tastes like the actual fruit, IMO, so it's not really a good way to judge a fruit. Honestly, does a cherry flavored candy actually taste like a cherry? Does strawberry Quik taste like an actual strawberry? They're usually way sweeter versions with a hint of wht the actual fruit tastes like.
    Sadly, I agree. I think green apple flavored candy tastes like green apple. And lemon and orange candy definitely taste like those two fruits. I think some fruits have particularly strong essential oils in the skin (like citrus) that are inexpensive to extract and use naturally as flavoring.

Cherry is on the opposite end. I think you will typically see natural cherries in ice creams like Ben & Jerries and Breyers. But in almost all other cases, it's kind of a maraschino cherry version of a cherry. Grap flavoring hardly ever tastes like real grape.

^^Ugh, which reminds me, I hate purple grape juice or anything purple grape flavored...

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^Ugh, which reminds me, I hate purple grape juice or anything purple grape flavored...
    Even Welch's?

Even Welch's?
    Haven't tasted it in a while, but if I recall, it was just too sickly sweet for me.

Purple DRANK!

Even the Welch's tastes like a sugar-bastardized, distant third cousin twice-removed version of grapes.

A*O

If you want to know what a cherry, banana, grape, apple [insert fruit] tastes like why not try a * shock* REAL one? Those flavourings, ie, chemicals they use in candy, desserts, etc taste very distinctive and I quite like some of them, eg, banana, but NOTHING like the real thing.
    BITTER likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

For me, the thing with mangoes is that they taste really bland as a fruit - almost like a sweet avocado or something.
    That almost sounds more like a fail-papaya. I love papayas when they're good, but every now and again you get one that just tastes like nothing. I've even had one that tasted like ass... I mean literally like butt. SO disappointing. And again, you can't tell until you're eating it. It makes me want to throw things. Things like papaya.
    sputnik likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    That almost sounds more like a fail-papaya. I love papayas when they're good, but every now and again you get one that just tastes like nothing. I've even had one that tasted like ass
    That reminds me of what I read about the durian fruit. A travel writer said that eating one is like eating pudding in an outhouse. I'd kind of like to try it once, but I'm scared.

Speaking of papayas, when I was in Honduras, I found out that they grow as big as watermelons there. And they have lemons the size and shape of grapefruit. I also had two fruits that I had never even heard of before - guanabana (which tasted like banana) and grenadilla, which some people have called "booger fruit" because it looks like mucus with seeds in it. Grenadilla tasted great - kind of like kiwi, but more sweet and less tart.

Guanabana - as far as I know you can't get it in the US at all:

Granadilla - never seen it here either:

A*O

That bottom pic is a passionfruit. The seedy pulp is a uniquely luscious flavour.

I went to a kiwi fruit farm during my recent NZ trip. Fascinating. They grow on big vines like grapes and pack more vitamin C and other good stuff than any other fruit.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    That bottom pic is a passionfruit. The seedy pulp is a uniquely luscious flavour.

I went to a kiwi fruit farm during my recent NZ trip. Fascinating. They grow on big vines like grapes and pack more vitamin C and other good stuff than any other fruit.
    Thanks, A*O. I have to admit both of them look like they are somewhat related. The grenadilla I had had much thinner skin - people would tear a hole in the side of the fruit and then just suck the inside out through the hole.

A*O

Agree, I'd say they are both varieties of the same thing. I've never seen a yellow passionfruit, only the dark purple ones (they grow like weeds around here). Passionfruit flowers are either very beautiful or very creepy depending on your POV.

MohandasKGanja likes this.

That reminds me of what I read about the durian fruit. A travel writer said that eating one is like eating pudding in an outhouse. I'd kind of like to try it once, but I'm scared.
    Andrew Zimmern, who hosts Bizarre Foods, will eat just about everything under the sun, but refuses to eat durian fruit, it's the one thing that grosses him out.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

A*O

I've never tried durian but you see (and smell) them at local Asian markets. I'm told that if you can get past the vile smell the actual taste is lovely. I'd probably give it a go if offered because I always try things first before I decide and have had some nice surprises as well as nasty ones.

i've had durian, and durian ice cream. it smells like fermented anus. seriously. it tastes pretty nice but the only way i can eat it is if i'm simultaneously plugging my nose and so while it's good, it's not really worth the effort.

there's a thai place in my neighbhourhood that makes their own ice cream. ever flavour you can imagine, all delicious. and they make durian ice cream, and keep it in a special sealed container in the freezer so the smell doesn't gross out the customers or transfer to the other ice creams.

eta: the ice cream is better than the fruit because the cold somewhat neutralises the odour so you can actually taste the fruit without being hit with the full force of the smell at the same time. eating durian is a mind fuck - we're so used to things tasting like they smell and it really screws with your senses when something stinks and tastes good at the same time.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 19th, 2015 at 08:38 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information