Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food prices going up, up, up

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    all the corn in our country is drying up; a bad drought. but corns bad for you anyways so dont stress it.
    How is corn bad for you? have never heard anything bad about it? Please inform!

also I can usually get 12 ears of corn for $1.99 so the 4 bucks pissed me off. I almost always 'bargain shop' and damn the bargains are sure scarce lately-the sales have sucked alot-especailly for fresh produce. Although they did have seedless watermelons for a very low price. *drool*

Eggs here still a dollar fortunately(this city has several HUGE factory egg farms outside of town-horrible awful places to live near and they are always getting into environmental trouble or getting hit by tornadoes-one tornado hit one of them and killed over 1 MILLION chickens! They were trapped and squashed under the building..and it was too dangerous to try and save the ones stil alive). I just think living in the corn belt -corn should be pretty damn cheap! 3 for a dollar for sweet corn? outrageous. And I checked at other places and it was just as bad.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

its full of that glycimic crap (pure carbs) thats instantly metobolized into sugar in your body therefore stored as fat - really try to avoid it unless you like seeing that sort of thing turn up in your toilet bowl you know what im talking about!

Gold Member

In the last couple of years, prices on many basic items have almost doubled in the grocery stores where I shop.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    its full of that glycimic crap (pure carbs) thats instantly metobolized into sugar in your body therefore stored as fat - really try to avoid it unless you like seeing that sort of thing turn up in your toilet bowl you know what im talking about!
    How did you know that I like to check my...well..you know?

*Sometimes you can get eggs here buy one get one free or two for one or whatever. Thjey are then only about 50 cents for a dozen. They have other sales as well-I usually can manage to get a dozen jumbo eggs for just a dollar, which is good since I am trying to go all vegetarian again(meat costs alot of $$$$)

Okay, I lied. Eggs aren't reasonable here at all compared to you folks! They're about $2.50 a dozen here. Organic/free range/Omega 3 eggs are over 5 bucks. WTF?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Eggs-free range-are so good they are almost worth the money. There is a world of difference!
    On the whole, it is best to find a farmers market close to you & use it! Otherwise half your stuff is factored into high gasoline prices and not nearly as good anyway!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I went down to Bellingham last week with my sister, and I'm amazed at how cheap some of the food is compared to Canada. Unfortunately it's mostly the junk food, but it blew me away! They had Lay's stackable potato chips - 10 packs for $10. $1 per pack, I'm sure they're almost $3 in Canada. Chocolate bars were 8 for $1. It sure doesn't make eating healthy very easy. This was in Target or KMart, can't remember which one.

I cook with lots of beans and lentils, and that keeps costs down for me.

Well I now know why corn is so damn expensive-even in the corn belt.

It is because of ethanol-the demand has caused corn prices to skyrocket.

Which of course causes the price of corn feed to skyrocket.

And what livestock eats corn? -Chickens and Dairy cows are among them. So milk and eggs, other dairy products are going up as well. Shit just plant more fucking corn next year so the supply will be up there to match the demand dammit~! *pissed*

I thought about this thread a few minutes ago when I was at Wendy's.

I've noticed that just in the very recent past, fast food prices have skyrocketed. It costs almost as much to get fast food today as it does to go to a chain restaurant such as Panera or Chili's. People don't go to drive-thrus for the food... they go for the price, and with prices the way they are now there's just no point.

I've stopped going to places like McDonalds, KFC, Zaxby's, or Wendy's because for the same price, or a few dollars extra, I could be eating at a sit-down restaurant.

We're in TX and pay $1.79 for a dozen free range eggs, well worth it. But everything else is outrageous. I only buy organic, hormone free milk, and it's now over $3 for half a gallon. Good thing we only use it for oatmeal. Organic free range chicken costs about $8 per bird, depending on weight. There have been good deals on wild Pacific salmon lately, $6.99 a pound. The cheapest prices for cherries were $1.99 a pound this year, but I really had to shop around. Most stores were charging $4.99 a pound. Fruit in general is outrageous. It's just crazy, how is a family with a couple kids going to be able to afford fruit and fresh veggies?

I get free range/yard eggs for $1.25 a dozen - it's that brown shell and lovely orange yolk that make them sooo delicious!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I've noticed here, meat is terribly expensive now. Some things are $7 lb, that would only be $4.50. I'm told it gas prices, because it takes more money to get items to market.

I did notice today that corn is 12 for $3.88, which is pricey for Iowa. Usually, it's 5 or 6 for $1.00.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    We're in TX and pay $1.79 for a dozen free range eggs, well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I get free range/yard eggs for $1.25 a dozen - it's that brown shell and lovely orange yolk that make them sooo delicious!
    I hate you all.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

I'm really starting to think that I'll never have children. How would I feed them?

^ Just sit home, sale dope and refuse to get a job and the State will feed them for you, Tex.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information