Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food prices going up, up, up

Food prices are either artificially high or artificially low. Maybe there is a glut of corn on the US market, or it's local corn?

OMG. We went grocery shopping the other day just to see if we could buy things not from China. We nearly left the store empty handed. I can't get over how many things are made in China!

Did you know that Mott's applesauce is made from apples from China? Yep. I called them. Crazy.

I used to have a policy about not buying things from China and I still try, but it's impossible. A lot of stuff that is made in North America or elsewhere has Chinese ingredients but their origin isn't listed on the labels. That's even scarier given what's going on in China.

Apple juice that says made in Canada has concentrate that comes from China and that's just one of hundreds/thousands of examples.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

good thing i steal most my food.

Silver Member

^^^
    LOL! Silly lady.

My sister and I noticed the other day at Costco how the prices have gone up subtly. Two dollars here and three dollars there. Easiest way to save money is to buy natural food and to cook from scratch. I set aside Sundays to do cooking that I can freeze for the week. When I stray from that ideal, the bill easily doubles.

Yes, Costco is getting more pricey. I've noticed it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    You know what I have found to be very interesting though, with all this talk about corn and ethanol, and fuel...that corn on the cob in my area is actually the CHEAPEST its EVER been!! Makes NO SENSE!

I just got 12 ears of corn for a freaking DOLLAR! And the corn was outstanding! How is this possible???

I dont' get it.
    shit I wanted to buy corn yesterday and it was 12 years for FOUR dollars. And here I am living right on the edge of the cornbelt. Driving out to where I will be moving is the Darby Plain..one of the most fertile areas on earth..and covered with corn and soybean fields..yet corn is still expensive!!! *pisses me off*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^I was just about to post that. Food prices have always been very high where I live, but I'm always amazed at the amount of junk people buy and then complain about how much food costs. Real food is expensive enough without all that crap.
    Seriously. I went to the Grocery Store last night and a pack of Double Stuff Oreos were $4.99, and it was "on sale"!!! Yet I still saw people with said oreos, chips, frozen pizzas, etc in their carts and not much veggies or meat. Ironically processed foods are cheaper than natural foods in some areas, espcially the low-income areas. It's really fucked up how we as a society have let the one thing we need to live (food) become so inaccessible and pricey all in the name of the might dollar. *sigh*

Rice, beans, onions, potatoes, oranges. Soybeans, melons, chicken, apples, apricots. Pineapple, Brewer's Yeast, bananas, more bananas, and cherries. And cooking oil. One of our Moms has thrived on these foods for decades and she is 98 fucking years old and still lives by herself. Of course we have brought her groceries every week for the last 7 years, but she knows what she wants...and she gets it...God help us if we brought her anything not on the list She can't remember what has happened in the last 15 years or so, but she can remember the prices of goods when she was a girl, 80 years ago in China. Life is Grand. It really is
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

I've been noticing a lot of produce prices really dropping around here lately, actually. Probably Canadian-grown stuff that is being reduced because of the strong dollar? Of course it's all in season too. This is at a Sobey's in Aurora, not in Toronto proper - you guys would probably hate me if I told you some of the meat prices this particular Sobey's has. It seems to be an anomaly, and we're lucky to have found it. Sobey's just went back to being a private company too, so it could be price adjustments that they're choosing to make for whatever reason.

The fruit markets and small bakeries in my neighbourhood are awfully cheap, and some Asian supermarkets have the cheapest meat I've ever seen, while places like Dominion and Loblaws are ridiculously expensive, and never seem to have any really good deals. I do notice that Loblaws' PC-brand junk food (cookies, pop) seems to be quite cheap, but their healthy products are on the expensive side.

I have noticed that milk is outrageous, but I don't really drink it. And bacon - I don't buy it often, but didn't bacon used to be a super cheap food? That's what I remember from when I was a kid. Now it's regularly $4.99 a package here. Butter is awfully pricey here too. Eggs and bread are pretty fair, cheese is pretty pricey. Someone mentioned corn - we just got 12 ears for $1.99, and we should be able to find that price for the next month or so.

I don't know - on the whole, produce prices seem to be reasonable here, but dairy just keeps going up and up. There's very little alternative for it too - it's not like you can go to a farmer's market for milk, so I feel for you folks with families. I think I'll get a goat and some free range hens when I have kids, lol.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

Fresh produce prices have shot up here recently because of the ongoing drought. Farmers have to pay for their irrigation water (what there is of it) and very little is falling out of the sky. There was a similar problem last year when Queensland bananas became luxury goods after the cyclone tore through the crops up there. Nevertheless, if you shop with half a clue you can still get most things at a reasonable price.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

I went to the grocery store last night and noticed that the price of eggs has shot up almost 50%. For a long time you could get a dozen eggs for around $1, now it is almost $1.50. Also, at Super Walmart where I shop, ground sirloin used to be $2.99/lb., now it is around $3.50/lb.

I am sure that is still cheaper than at a posh supermarket like Harris Teeter though. But a friend of mine warned me when we got a brand new Walmart in my area that they start out with really low prices, and then sneakily raise them a little at a time so you don't notice. Well, I noticed! But I still think they're WAY cheaper than a Harris Teeter or Food Lion.

A dozen eggs where I live has been over the $3 mark for as long as I can remember. I always buy organic because they're only a $1 more. Americans, especially outside the major centres, have super-cheap food prices compared to the average Canadian market.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

all the corn in our country is drying up; a bad drought. but corns bad for you anyways so dont stress it.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I went to the grocery store last night and noticed that the price of eggs has shot up almost 50%. For a long time you could get a dozen eggs for around $1, now it is almost $1.50. .
    That's still pretty cheap compared to here (around A$4 per doz). I always buy free range, organic eggs because they taste better and I don't like how battery chickens are treated but even so $1.50 is a bargain.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information