Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Food At Potlucks--Opinion

PrettyGirl, A tacky beyatch like your cousin probably loves the fuck out of annoying all you relatives and having ya'll talk shit about her later! Trust me on that one. Every family has one (or three).

So next time open up her chip bags, put handfulls into little ziploc baggies and dole them out to the kiddies to take home. If they're not hungry enough to eat them then and there they've got a snack for the next day. Same with the drinks.

Hell, send her this way for Christmas dinner. I'll be shoving that ho out the door with a container of leftovers whether she likes it or not. I do it all for Christmas and don't ask anyone to bring a thing but themselves (my mom and mother in law usually bring something though) but that's just once a year and it's my concession I'm more than willing to make to have Christmas in my home and not leave the house.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Eh, is it really that big a deal to feed a relative every now and then? Maybe it's cause I'm Italian, but we always have three times the amount of food necessary and will feed anybody that shows up any time. It's just food.
    Yep. My family is the same way. If you don't stuff your gut completely, someone is offended.

Bottom line, if it pisses you off that much either (1) tell her directly, (2) don't invite her when you are the one doing the inviting (3) tell her to come 3 hours early (4) tell her exactly what to bring and then open it and dig in right away or (5) get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Venus, she is single with no kids, but the woman can eat. She stacks her plate and gets 2nd's and 3rd's! That is not an exaggeration. Other relatives have noticed and commented. So yes, she may not have kids but she is eating an equal amount of food that some of us with kids do (sometimes more). She even wants to take doggie bags to her dad? I think it's absurd. I have 1 husband he's the eater. I have an 8 month-old (who doesn't eat potluck food) and a 2 yr-old who's a fussy eater and maybe takes a bite of macaroni and takes off. Most of our kids in are in that age bracket, younger than 8 or so. I'm the mother chasing my toddler at the family parties and I eat in 10 minutes because I have to care for my kid. I don't even get second servings. I don't have time. Well, I'm sure many of you remember how it was when your kids were that small. You gulp your food down and get back to chasing your kid. Diane's sitting there without a care in the world just eating like she's at an all you can eat buffet. Which, I don't mind, but dang, girl, be fair. Don't just be a taker, share. And we have been more than generous to her. We know she's single so she's always delegated to bring the minimal items like soda, chips, salsa, etc...we are specific. But she never makes it in time to share them. She gets there literally 3 or 4 hrs late and then wants to take her stuff with her when she leaves. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a stickler for punctuality. I know things come up and people will be late. But she is habitually late. You say 12pm and she shows up at 3pm or 4pm and we start packing up at 5pm or so. My other cousins complain and mumble under their breaths how she is but I at least have brought it to her attention. She's had the opportunity to be more considerate.

Louis, love your idea about giving her an earlier time though. Love it! lol.

Thanks everyone for your comments though. I guess it is like the work environment. When you have potlucks and events, you always have the tightwads in the group who never want to contribute or say they won't eat, but then when the leftovers are offered they sure eat then.
    Sorry, but you won't be thanking me. This has to be the SINGLE most offensive post I've read in a long time. Aside from her being a penny pinching tight wad and without basic manners, what the fuck does 'we know she's single so she's delegated to bringing minimal items'. Please!

**So yes, she may not have kids but she is eating an equal amount of food that some of us with kids do (sometimes more)**

This makes no sense at all. Completely illogical.

If she doesn't have to run after rugrats, (sorry everyone else, you know I love kids), then she can eat, drink and be merry without indigestion. Yeah, you really hit a nerve here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Sorry, but you won't be thanking me. This has to be the SINGLE most offensive post I've read in a long time. Aside from her being a penny pinching tight wad and without basic manners, what the fuck does 'we know she's single so she's delegated to bringing minimal items'. Please!

**So yes, she may not have kids but she is eating an equal amount of food that some of us with kids do (sometimes more)**

If she doesn't have to run after rugrats, (sorry everyone else, you know I love kids), then she can eat, drink and be merry without indigestion. Yeah, you really hit a nerve here.
    I can see why that hit a nerve. With or without kids, who cares how much she eats? I'd eat the whole fucking tater-tot casserole family buffet, if I knew I was being watched and some gutless arsebag was keeping score.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

Not sure the post was intentionally offensive. I think she was just trying to say they were being fair. Someone with 5 people in their family probably *should* bring more than someone who comes by themself.

I took it as the woman is not accustomed to cooking/preparing meals for a family so she is just bringing prepackaged things, and like Bella said, families usually eat more than a single person so the expectations are different. Comparing the amount that she eats with a family with several members isn't illogical. Sounds like she's eating more than one individual is typically expected to eat and it's noticed because she contributes nothing. Well, she contributes a little, and then takes it back which makes it even more noticeable.

I think maybe Chalet read it as if an individual with kids is expected to eat more than an individual without kids...?

As for her sitting there without a care, I immediately thought of how she doesn't pitch in with the organizing, setup, cooking or cleanup - not that she should be chasing children. Chalet, I know enough about you to know that you would never ever sit around and relax if you knew that your help with cleanup would be appreciated.

Participating in the before, during & after of a family gathering is part of being a member of the family. Drive-by eating sends a message that your company is not desired but your food is. It's really worse than not showing up at all.

HOWEVER - bitch ain't gonna change. No use in getting angry and trying to fix her.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

I think I need to set up Diane with an ex-boyfriend of mine. He loved to go to parties and get-togethers. It meant he could drink all he wanted and get his buzz on. He loved to drink everyone else's beer but wouldn't even consider buying a case of beer to share with others. He also would always bum cigarettes off people. It would be a match made in heaven between those two I'm sure..lol.

Lobelia, you hit the nail on the head in your post above. I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you.

Mrs. Dark, your post was hilarious. I actually have an elderly aunt who was bold like that back in her day. Actually, she's my great-aunt, my dad's aunt. She's really feeble now and never comes around, she's too ill. I know if she got wind of this, she'd tell Diane to quit being a tight ass, bring something, show up on time or don't show up at all. That lady meant business when she was young. Of course, no one's going to tell my aunt though. It would be ridiculous to take it to that level, but reading your post reminded me of her. Just to clarify, no one is expected to bring food for anything we personally host on our own here at my house (my son's birthday party or football parties we have). But when we ALL get together (which is often), it's just too many people. We've always specified it's a potluck. It's always been a colaborative effort. Christmas dinner, New Years Day dinner, we always have potlucks. I have 33 cousins on my dad's side, most have spouses, then the kids. Well, you can imagine, it gets pretty large. Even the other single cousins I have (most are males) bring girlfriends. And even they usually bring something from Costco..a pie, meat to grill or even cases of beer.

Well, you don't post a question like this on a public forum to not get responses so even though they vary, I appreciate you all taking time to answer. From what I'm hearing the majority of you either have a family member like this or know someone like this and the majority of people here seem to not think it's cool. I'd never heard of the term a 'drive-by' but if that's what she's doing, sounds about right.

BTW, Diane posted on Facebook today that our family barbecue turned out wonderful, the ribs my husband made where 'delish' and to 'keep them coming'. When most of you said she's not going to change, I have to say, you got that right. Believe me, I totally agree. :-)

G'nite. Thanks again.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; June 2nd, 2011 at 02:54 AM.

Hey! At least she gave you a good review!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yes, but was it taken as a good review or just a pesky relative bragging about food that she ate (a fuckload of) that she didn't have to pay for?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    One thing I would like to point out...I am jealous of the amount family get togethers you are talking about.
    Me, too. I have a huge extended family on my dad's side, but they almost never get together, except at funerals.

Freeloaders are annoying, but you cannot change her. You can change what you do and how you react to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Yes, but was it taken as a good review or just a pesky relative bragging about food that she ate (a fuckload of) that she didn't have to pay for?
    I have personally known of one slacker, who later had the nerve to complain bitterly about the food she did not bother to help with!
    So,yes. At least that was something.
    Last edited by McJag; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My comprehension is full on. This isn't about me. I understand where this poster is coming from.

I think how much she's eating wouldn't be a big deal if she participatec like everyone else (or at least showed up on time) and wasn't such an obvious freeloader. If she's taking 2-3 heaping plates to everyone else's one normal plate on top of that, she's the one being offensive. But like I said earlier, I think she's just a tacky bitch who gets her rocks off annoying everyone. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction if it were me. I'd make about 3-4 big ass plates just for her and say "Oh, I made sure to save you some!" This should keep in your fridge for at least 3-4 days!
    Posted from my iPhone

If I knew I was going to a family function and they were all going to monitor what time I showed up, how much work I did in comparison to the food I eat and how much or whether or not I wanted to take my father a doggie bag.... and that they wait for me to leave so they can talk shit about me... I'd say "fuck the family function". I can get treated like that at feces pizzaria.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I think if you have the means/ability to bring a decent dish, you should bring it. I don't like freeloaders either.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information