Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Foie gras frenzy grows as California ban nears

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think fois gras is vastly overrated and I can take it or leave it, mostly leave it. Ditto oysters and caviar. There's a lot of food snobbery involved and people think that eating it makes them klassy and sofisticayted.
    I don't consider oysters to be classy or sophisticated - I have eaten them at enough backyard picnics right along side hot dogs and a cold beer. Do you happen to live inland? I live in new england and pretty much have eaten them since I was a kid...probably just what you are exposed to. AND GOOD GOD IF THEY BAN RAW OYSTERS I WILL HAVE TO KICK SOME ASS.

Amen.

I agree about oysters, you can get them anywhere can't you? I would think it's more a matter of freshness and quality than availability. They're nowhere near the same ballpark as high end caviar.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    AND GOOD GOD IF THEY BAN RAW OYSTERS I WILL HAVE TO KICK SOME ASS.

Testify! In all seriousness, I was just reading that oysters are one of the most ethical sources of meat/protein around. First, you aren't eating something with a sophisticated nervous system (can feel pain). Second, 95% of oysters are sustainably farmed and harvested, and they are low on the food chain - because they consume plankton.

there's an oyster bar in grand central station. you can pop in for raw oysters and beer on the way to catch your commuter train. it's a cool place.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Hmm. I never thought of oysters as snobby.
    Neither did i. Especially if you've been to coastal places where they're just a normal part of local food and they sell them in markets and they're very 'normal' and people of all income levels eat them. Having lived in France and Chile I can tell you that they're not considered snob food in either country, and the are tons of markets in workin glass neighbourhoods where you can go and stand in front of a stall and eat fresh oysters and they pour you a glass of white wine.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Testify! In all seriousness, I was just reading that oysters are one of the most ethical sources of meat/protein around. First, you aren't eating something with a sophisticated nervous system (can feel pain). Second, 95% of oysters are sustainably farmed and harvested, and they are low on the food chain - because they consume plankton.
    Ditto mussels. For the most part, they're sustainably farmed and harvested, and - bonus - here they're super cheap! On nom nom.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

Now oysters are farmed and much cheaper they've lost a lot of their snob value because they used to be very expensive and snobs think price = klass. But they are still disgusting. Mussels, on the other hand, are quite delicious.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information