Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feed a Family of 4 on $10 a Day

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Not so. Meals can be inexpensive and not take too long to prepare or be prepared in advance and heated later. Meal preparation goes faster when everyone pitches in too so mealtime could be a bonding activity instead of being time away from the family. I'm not sure I get why you say nobody could be vegetarian either. Meat is expensive compared to vegetarian options like beans, lentils, etc.
    I was going to post the same about advance prep and pitching in. I feed just me and my husband one about $175 per month. I usually buy just sale or store brand items and use coupons. We eat a lot of pastas, soups, and stews. Generally, a pot of chili lasts 4-5 meals when served over brown rice and the like. It onlys costs me about $7 to make.

An average meal in my house costs about $5 for both of us.

It costs me more to feed my animals.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My kids almost exclusively only drink water---no crap juices or milk. In the fall I will buy Cider once or twice, but that's it.

what a good mom you are they'll thank you later.

i was raised the same way (except we did drink milk but no soda or shit juice like you said) and I was always jealous of my best friend down the street who got to drink soda whenever she wanted and all kinds of junk food and fast food for dinner. Well by high school, true fucking story, she had an old-lady slouch in her bad and although she was never chub or fat by any means, she had zero muscle tone and cellulite on her calves! how do you get cellulite on your calves?!

why I remember this I don't know except that I'm grateful that I was raised healthy, its ingrained in me now.

Not going to happen, my 15yo can eat $10 of food per hour if I'd let him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    ... my 15yo can eat $10 of food per hour if I'd let him.
    I remember those days well. My son's appetite was a frightening thing.

Oh, I meant that nobody could be a vegetarian if dinner was a meat-based meal. Like, if it's spaghetti with meat sauce, a vegetarian in the family would require extra prep time and stuff to make the food. Same for allergies, intolerances, or medical issues. My point was that everybody would have to be on the same page or else the price would go up.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    Oh, I meant that nobody could be a vegetarian if dinner was a meat-based meal. Like, if it's spaghetti with meat sauce, a vegetarian in the family would require extra prep time and stuff to make the food. Same for allergies, intolerances, or medical issues. My point was that everybody would have to be on the same page or else the price would go up.
    Not necessarily. I have a food allergy (tomatoes) and when I make a pasta, he gets his sauce and I use a little olive oil and garlic on mine. Doesn't change the price of the meal, really.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I also like to take the cleaned chicken bones, break them in half if I can and boil it all for 2 - 3 hours in water. Strain and you have homemade chicken broth that is great to cook with (a little fattier than the canned stuff but once it cools you can skim the fat off the top).
    I was just going to add this

Use the broth to make egg flower soup... While the broth is still hot (after straining), add finely chopped spring onions and drizzle in one slightly beaten egg.

Another economical dish... you know the rice that sticks to the bottom of pot? Don't toss it. Put the chicken broth into the pot, boil until rice unsticks then add the onions and egg. Delicious and just like take-out!

I agree that cooking dry beans is so much better than using canned ones.

Fresh vegetables do not have to be expensive either. Cabbages, carrots, tomatoes and onions make a great soup that is absolutely delicious.

Actually, cheap healthy meals is what soul food is all about. And regardless of some traditions, you don't have to use a lot of fatty meats or any meat at all. Although me and pork chops are best friends, lol. Learn to cook fresh greens, dry beans, breads and cakes. Your budget will see the difference.

And learning what to do with leftovers is fabulous for saving money. Never throw away stale bread of any type- freeze it and save it for dressing. Freeze nuts, candy, chicken parts. Doing this will allow you to eat for less than $5.00 per day. Sometimes I spend maybe only $2.00 if I have shopped right and already have my fruits and snacks, etc.
    Last edited by eboni; December 16th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I was going to post the same about advance prep and pitching in. I feed just me and my husband one about $175 per month. I usually buy just sale or store brand items and use coupons. We eat a lot of pastas, soups, and stews. Generally, a pot of chili lasts 4-5 meals when served over brown rice and the like. It onlys costs me about $7 to make.

An average meal in my house costs about $5 for both of us.

It costs me more to feed my animals.
    We do this too, we're also big fans of curries since you can throw in whatever meat and/or veg you've got available to make a delicious meal that's perfect for leftovers, especially since curry always tastes better the day after you make it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information