Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feed a Family of 4 on $10 a Day

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    And groceries CAN be very expensive in the U.S--at least the fresh/better foods. Packaged processed stuff is CHEAP as hell though, hence the reason for many of the discussions we have had here---obesity, medical issues, etc.
    Hmmm... here the fresh stuff is about the same price as the packaged stuff, maybe even cheaper. If you have to buy all the ingredients you pay more, but you can just put the leftovers in te freezer for later use. So in the end it's actually cheaper.

Organic products are a bit more expensive, but the trick is to get it when it's on sale and buy in bulk when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I always drink a glass of fat free milk with dinner. I'm not quite getting the milk hatred, it's not horrible for you.
    It's unknown. Humans have evolved to be lactose tolerant of other animals milk, when really we shouldn't be.

Dairy consumption is assumed to be the major difference in the West VS the East's life expectancy.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    Wow, are groceries that expensive in the US? We spend about $120-130 a week for 3 adults, 5 cats and 2 dogs. And that includes tobacco (not for me though) and way too many snacks. We could bring it down to maybe $90 if none of us smoked and we cut out the snacks.
    i spent $140 at the store last night just on myself for less than 2 weeks worth of stuff. my food costs a bit more because i'm gluten free in addition to being meat free. that included breakfast, frozen lunches for work, dinner stuff and some toiletries/household items. booze is extra

Yeah, there is no way. Just hubby and I now and our food is still high but its what we eat and Id rather sacrifice something else if I had to in order to eat healthy
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

You can save a lot of money on fresh produce if you eat seasonally. In Canada right now, root vegetables are super cheap. You can buy carrots, parsnips, swedes and cabbage for practically nothing. Yesterday, I bought a mammoth cabbage for a little over a dollar. I'll be eating that darn thing for the next couple of weeks! Another good buy is potatoes. We get fifty-pound bags of local potatoes dirt cheap. Put them in a cool spot in the basement and they keep for a long time. I eat potatoes as a main course and they can be very filling.

czb

^^^ seasonal is a good way to go and also preparing legumes saves money. i almost never buy the canned stuff, it doesn't take much work to cook them but you do have to soak them the night before. lentils, chick peas, black beans, etc are very healthy and are pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    And one parent would have to either not work or devote their entire evening to cooking instead of spending time with their family. Also everyone in the family would have to be a non-picky eater (like no digestive or sensory disorders) and nobody could be a vegetarian. It works under very specific circumstances, but it's not always that simple.
    Not so. Meals can be inexpensive and not take too long to prepare or be prepared in advance and heated later. Meal preparation goes faster when everyone pitches in too so mealtime could be a bonding activity instead of being time away from the family. I'm not sure I get why you say nobody could be vegetarian either. Meat is expensive compared to vegetarian options like beans, lentils, etc.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I thought the vegetarian remark was rather strange as well. I eat a starch-based, whole food, vegan diet and my groceries are quite cheap. However, if you depend on a lot of ready-made veg products, it can be pricey (but, really, that goes for an omni diet, too). A package of Yves soy crumbles costs 4.50. Store brand is maybe a buck cheaper. Something like that is an occasional treat food for me. I'll divide the package in half and use it in two different recipes bulked up with potatoes, brown rice, or dried beans to bring the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I always drink a glass of fat free milk with dinner. I'm not quite getting the milk hatred, it's not horrible for you.
    Speak for yourself. I can't take milk, I get terribly bloated and feel like crap. Comes with being Southern European.

Either way, milk is not good for adults regardless of how lactose tolerant they are.

I never drink milk. Not even as a kid. Never liked the taste. I get my dairy from other sources like yogurt and cheese.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    kids don't need to drink milk with their meals. i never understood that about north america. growing up, i had milk in my breakfast (usually cereal) and then a small glass of milk after school. we drank water at meal times.
    This is so true! We even have kids with milk induced anemia. My Mom believed milk was for baby cows and we just rarely had it. I don't like it, but I love lite soy milk. Vastly different.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Speak for yourself. I can't take milk, I get terribly bloated and feel like crap. Comes with being Southern European.

Either way, milk is not good for adults regardless of how lactose tolerant they are.
    I'm sure you've read and seen information supporting your argument but I've also read and seen enough on the benefits of dairy products and the positive effects they have on weight loss and until I start to feel sick from drinking it, I don't see how it's harming me. I'm drinking a glass a day, 8 oz., not a gallon.

There are definitely worse things out there to be drinking with dinner.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Milk Diets and Dairy Weight Loss: Lay it to Rest

By Jim F.

The milk debate has been raging for a number of years now. The dairy industry (and a number of diet authors and food conglomerates) have clearly stated that dairy foods and calcium are linked to weight loss. Research says otherwise.

This hasn't stopped "milk diets" from being well-publicized. Robin Seaber is the latest success story. She drunk two glasses of milk a day and lost 46 pounds. Oh... and she reduced calories and exercised regularly...
    It's time to lay this debate to rest. Here is the story so far:
    And now, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition publishes yet more research indicating there is no apparent link between dairy, calcium and weight loss (see also USA Today).
    "We found that men who increased their dairy/calcium intake did not lose more weight -- in fact, they gained slightly more weight -- in the 12-year period," Rajpathak told Reuters Health. This was primarily due to an increase in high-fat dairy intake. However, even low-fat dairy intake was not significantly associated with a change in weight.
    The Trouble Is...

Many avenues of popular media continue to promote the dairy for weight loss idea. And then... there are the diet books.When will this debate end?
    Milk Diets and Dairy Weight Loss: Lay it to Rest
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

What really makes me angry is the misinformation about calcium, dairy, and osteoporosis that is always being pushed on tv in order to increase dairy sales. Osteoporosis is caused by an excess of protein. Shovelling in dairy products that are all high in protein simply negates any calcium benefits. Calcium is available in so many foods and is better utilized by the body when it comes from plant sources, simply because plant foods aren't overly high in protein.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information