Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite wines and why

Quote Originally Posted by barbiedoll25 View Post
    I love Conundrum. It's a sweeter white wine, but sort of expensive. It's a California wine if I recall
    i'm going to check this one out. i looked it up & they grow some of their grapes nearby where i live.

i like drinking local wines. some wines i like are:

lockwood vineyard's sauvignon blanc & pinot noir
    hahn estates syrah
    penman springs syrah
    j. lohr estates old vine zin
    tobin james rose syrah (love it!! )
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I'm not really wine-educated either, I just drink a lot of it!

I like cabernet sauvignon generally and the best one I've tasted lately is Clos du Val. The richer, smoother and more buttery they taste, the better as far as I'm concerned and this one always hits the spot. Spendy, ($25-34) but totally worth it.
    winemaker's notes:
    Blend: 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc, 8% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot The 2004 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon greets the nose with robust aromas of black fruit, dried herbs, fennel and leather. Deep purple-black in color, this powerful, full bodied wine fills the mouth with the rich flavors of dark fruit. The wine is seamless, and the finish never seems to end.

When I was in Barcelona, I didn't really like any of their red wines. The closest to cabernet sauv. that was widely available was called Tempranillo. That "earthy" taste someone mentioned just turned me off, it tasted kind of bitter and harsh to me. Maybe that's why I noticed more people drinking rosé wines than red, esp. in the summer. But I did find this white wine I loved called Viña Esmeralda, which was really fruity and tasty, but not cloyingly sweet.

Description
    In the mountainous area of the Upper Penedès the more delicate and aromatic white grape varieties are grown. Moscatel and Gewürtztraminer form the basis for Viña Esmeralda, an exceptionally delicate and strikingly fragrant wine.

I don't know a lot about wine either, but I like the BV (Beaulieu Vineyard) Rutherford Cabernet. It's about $20 at Costco and quite a bit more at other stores or speciality wine shops. I also like Ravenswood Sonoma Merlot. Also, cheap ($15 - 20) at Costco.

Gold Member

my whole family loves wine and always have it at dinners and get-togethers, i have never had it much (or know much about it.) i should learn more though.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Camus Conundrum and anything Flowers... oooh and I got this great frozen blue grape wine a long time ago and I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it but I drank the whole bottle and I forgot where I put the paper.

When I'm feeling very upscale (and when I'm not paying ) I love Rioja red wines from Spain.... my aunt turned me on to them.. dont get to enjoy them very often.

I usually stick to rose, white zinfandel.

A*O

Most NZ sauvignon blancs are delicious and great value, eg Giesen, Stoneleigh, Tylers Stream, the list is endless.

Chardonnay is the devil's urine - I can't bear even the oily, cloying smell of it.

I'm not a huge red wine fan - I know, I should make a point of learning more about it, especially as we are friends with the Melbourne newspaper's Wine critic! Of all the reds I like Pinot Noir the most but I'll drink almost anything apart from the really heavy, peppery shiraz which are too overpowering.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Chardonnay is the devil's urine - I can't bear even the oily, cloying smell of it.
    Right on! I don't understand why it's so many women's reliable standby white wine, it's not even easy to drink. I think the taste is very sharp and strong.

I like Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Sangiovese, and just about all Pinots. Of course I prefer certain vineyards but I'll be damned if I can remember any names at the moment. I like to buy Ontario wines when I can (which is often as there is a VQA Wine Rack about thirty feet from my house) but I do find that after a while they all start to taste the same and I crave something from France, Italy, Australia or what have you. I'll buy a variety of Ontario wines for parties and such though, as the price is right and there are some very good ones, they're just not quite as varied or complex.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Right on! I don't understand why it's so many women's reliable standby white wine, it's not even easy to drink. I think the taste is very sharp and strong.

I like Chardonnay. Although we all have different tastes when it comes to food and drink.

Most of the top types of whites are from Chardonnay grapes, Montrachet, Meursault, Pouilly Fuisse.

If you like Sauvignon Blanc try Viogner, Sancerre or Pouilly Fume. They are from the Sauv grapes. All excellent.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I like Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Sangiovese, and just about all Pinots. Of course I prefer certain vineyards but I'll be damned if I can remember any names at the moment. I like to buy Ontario wines when I can (which is often as there is a VQA Wine Rack about thirty feet from my house) but I do find that after a while they all start to taste the same and I crave something from France, Italy, Australia or what have you. I'll buy a variety of Ontario wines for parties and such though, as the price is right and there are some very good ones, they're just not quite as varied or complex.
    Looks like you prefer the sweet stuff. Have I got a wine for YOU!
    It's Pelee Island Winery's Monarch, excellent cheap vino for the sweet tooth!

"In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

My favorite wine is Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui, a sweet, sparkling Italian wine. It's a bit hard to find, but well worth the search. It runs about $22 a bottle. If you are one of those people who just can't get into wine, give this one a try. I was the same way until I tried this one (it was recommended by a manger at a liquor store).

One good thing about South Australia is we have fantastic wines. I love both reds and whites. I like a really deep rich red and love chardonays. Clare Valley and the Barrossa are my favourite regions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information