Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite wines and why

Default Re: Favourite wines and why

I love wines from southern Italy (Salento, Taranto, Sicily) and Spain because they're... how could I describe it... rough, in French we say that they taste "like earth" (terreux).
    Wines from the Asti region, and also Amarone, are a good bet.
    I favour Prosecco over Champagne (finding a good and not overpriced Champagne is hard), and Clairette de Die over Prosecco. Clairette is heaven in a bottle!!!!
    I love dessert wines like Sauternes, Montbazillac, Vin Santo, Samos.

Hmm. I might get drunk tonight
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Oh I like desert wines, too. I'm gonna look for and try the ones you mentioned Barbara!!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Well, I'm a complete wine idiot, but once I went to an Italian place and had Moscato D'Asti. I saved the cork and just looked at it to spell it right, lol. I probably liked it because it was really sweet and really didn't taste like wine.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I see some wine edumacation is in order!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've just opened a bottle of ice wine YUMMYYYYY!!!!

I've got the black on on the left. I think the one on the right might be a maple wine, maple wines are also delish. If you ever come visit Canada, you must try our icewine and maple wine!!

Colio Vidal
    The superb Vidal Icewine is crisp offering the taste of ripe fruit initially, then developing into sensations of layers of fresh apricot, raisins and pear. This Icewine has excellent structure and a fine balance offering a lingering finish. Match this fine Icewine with Cambozola cheese or fresh fruit flans. Best enjoyed slowly, sipped after a meal.

http://www.icewineniagara.net/Icewines/Colio/

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I like rose wine, particularly Ernest & Julio Gallo, its only about £5 but I love it!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Oh yeah, I also like Oliver wine. I just searched for it and it's made in my state...huh, whadya know? I like to make Oliver spritzers with red rose Oliver, Sprite, and limes.

Okay, so when it comes to wine I'm totally cheap and uneducated. Shoot me!!!

I'm also a fan of Boone's. heh heh heh.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Hm, Merlot? I really don't like that one too much, but I'll have to try the other ones!

i have no 'formal' wine training, what i know i've picked up by drinking and from friends that are way more knowledgeable, and going to the odd wine tasting and trips to the countryside to visit vintners with friends. i know what wines go with what foods and i know what types of wines i tend to like but that's about it.
    for the most part, i'll drink any wine that tastes good to me but my faves are:

white: sauvignon blanc. i love côté tariquet which is, i think, a sauvignon-chardonnay blend.

red: i like bordeaux, syrah, bourgogne and i've never met a châteauneuf-du-pape that i didn't like. i'm generally partial to french and italian reds. spanish ones (especially rioja) tend to be too tannic.
    the last bottle of red wine i bought was a cuvée mythique réserve 2003, from the languedoc region. i've bought this wine before and love it, can't recommend it enough, it's inexpensive and delicious (plus, the bottle is really pretty - orange with an owl on it )

i wish there were more california and new zealand and australia wines here but i guess the europeans have to protect their own market so you don't get a lot of them and what there is is overpriced. i've had some really lovely nz wines thanks to my kiwi friends but i wouldn't have a clue as to what to buy on my own. i've also had some amazing california wines in the US but again, i wouldn't know where to start.
    Last edited by sputnik; February 27th, 2008 at 01:55 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

white wine (pinot grigio preferably or a nice sauv)
    cheap plonk = Barefoot $12.65
    Expensivo = Stags Hollow, who bloody knows, you can only buy it from the winery.
    -basically, I love west coast mountain region wines. Selenium content is higher, gives certain fruits a magical taste to me.

Red wine tastes ok, but it stains my teeth, gums and lips horribly. Also gives me headaches (tannins) My faves are usually Italian, there's something rich and understated about their flavours.
    Last edited by Dixie Normos; February 27th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

i'm a complete wino. i love it. spent my 21st birthday in napa valley.

my current faves:
    any and all ice wine from inniskilin canada.
    almost all white desert wines, like late harvest and muscat. black muscat is amazing. Quadry winery makes a good one.
    pinot noir (pretty much my go-to red) Artesa or Rombauer vinyards lately.
    white wine - i like riesling or gewürztraminer. (i prefer sweet to dry)

i could go on forever..

Moomies, your wines sound great.
    Where do you normally buy those?

I'm a fellow wino.

I love any white Burgundy, if I'm feeling flush a Puligny-Montrachet, but any one will do.

French Chardonnay, with California Chard as a second choice- Still really good though. For CA chards: Kistler, Simi, Cakebread. Fat Bastard is a good French Chard, and it's inexpensive.

I love Spanish whites, especially Albarino

I like Italian reds, Tuscans. Barolo, Brunello. French Burgundy's for reds also.

I love Champagne, Moscato D'Asti, Sauternes, Ice Wine

My S.O. is an collector. We have bottles everywhere. He got me into it, we do the whole Robert Parker/Wine Spectator review mags and all.

Fancy way of hiding our alcoholism.......
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; February 27th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

San Sebastian Winery's Vintner's Red from Saint Augustine, FL
    They don't ship to NJ, so the only time I can buy it is when I'm in FL (which is why I bought an entire case of it last time I was there!)
    Tastes just like concord grapes
    They give a great free tour & tasting, too!

Chilean reds make me swoon. I can never remember labels, but we got a bottle a few months ago and I could actually taste hints of chocolate. Yummy!

I also love the French reds from the northern Rhones (sp?) region, but some of the southern Rhones are lovely too, like the aforementioned chateauneuf du pap.

New Zealand white wines are heavenly.

I'm not wine-literate, but I hang out with a lot of wine lovers, so I've learned to pick out some of my favorites. I'm always looking for something new and delicious to try, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information