Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: F**k you, Kombucha!

One of my all time favorite drinks from one of my all time favorite bars is a salt-and-pepper martini: Gin, Grapefruit Juice, simple syrup, salt rimmed glass and pepper floating. Can get me in to trouble!
    Waterslide likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Smoked turkey is NASTY.
    yup. and Evil Twin LOVES it. *vomit*

and the other day she talked me into getting some of that zoe's turkey salami. only ET and our pound dog will eat it.
    sputnik, BITTER and Waterslide like this.

^^^^
    the first time I had it it was a whole turkey. worst Christmas ever. I was maybe 15 and my parents decided to take us to Florida and we spent Christmas Eve at my cousins' who at the time lived in boca raton in one of those awful McMansion golf course gated communities full of rich republican assholes. And they can’t cook so everything was catered and I’m sure very expensive but GROSS and the star was a gigantic smoked turkey and I swear I still have nightmares about it.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

that sounds awful. the best thing about thanksgiving is the wonderful kitchen smells and you don't get that with catered food.

we had that kind of thanksgiving at my sister's house, once. not the rich repub part - but the rest. she doesn't cook so it was all catered. food tasted good but you need the cooking smells to make it happen! total dud. the only thing that could've been worse would be going to olive garden or something.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

Yeah catered food, even when it’s good, always tastes slightly generic. I don’t know what it is.

My mother texted me as I was writing that post about the smoked turkey and I reminded her of that Christmas and the nasty, dry yet oily and disgusting smoked turkey and she told me I was wrong, my first exposure to smoked turkey was actually those giant smoked turkey legs at Disney, which we begged our parents for once and they bought them (they’re fucking expensive!) and we all took maybe two bites before declaring them the grossest thing ever.
    czb and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like all the bitter greens, and ive always loved grapefruit. When i was a child, (before you could get the non seasonal fruits all year the way you can now) my grandmother would ship a gift box of grapefruit to me from Florida evey winter. It would be packed with that green cellophane grass you see in Easter baskets.

I like gin. In the summer if I think Im in a bar that can make it I will have a Tom Collins. Nostalgia in a glass. Last summer I was with a friend who ordered a sloe gin fizz, and then the rest of us were ordering them too. Hadn't had one in years.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Tom collinses and sloe Gin fizzes are two of my favorite drinks. People look at you like you have 3 heads when you order either. I like g&t but only with Bombay sapphire or tanqueray (I totally spelled that wrong) rangpur.
    Waterslide likes this.

I just bought some kombucha today - it was on sale. My nutritionist encourages it to balance out my digestive system. I drink it maybe once a month.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!Ē Anonymous Introvert

czb

gin is ok but i really like vodka.

and since i just collided into my kid and maimed my foot (am hoping i did not break a toe), i'm gonna have a vodka now.
    Beeyotch, sputnik and Waterslide like this.

Heck yeah, vodka is my favorite. A nice dirty martini when going out to have a nice dinner. Or Stoli orange with cranberry or sprite.
    czb and Waterslide like this.

czb

vodka gimlet. yummmm
    witchcurlgirl and Beeyotch like this.

You guys are making me want a drink now!
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!Ē Anonymous Introvert

Nah some things you just canít stomach. You know I will eat pretty much anything but I just canít with smoked food, with very few exceptions. I like the smokiness of something grilled on a wood fire, or smoked salmon and other fish, bacon, but there's a certain type of smokiness that just closes up my throat and makes me want to puke. I donít know if itís the method or just the intensity of the smokiness but I just canít with things like smoked vegetables (why?), brisket (why do that to brisket?) and chicken or turkey and I also despise that liquid smoke stuff people out in food sometimes.
    Smoked turkey is NASTY.
    I have a love/hate relationship with smoked food, too. I have only ever known one person on earth that knew the proper way to smoke a turkey and all other smoked turkey is nasty. The trick is that you can't use the smoking process to cook the bird and then finish it off in the oven. A little goes a long way because turkey sucks up the flavor and it tastes like you're eating a piece of wood with the texture of turkey. Gross.

But then I'm picky about turkey in general. I like it when it's roasted at home, but I hate 99% of the turkey breast you buy in the deli. It always tastes like spoiled milk to me and it's slimy. At my old job, we'd have lunch ordered for certain trainings and the person who put it together would always send out an email saying: "If I do not receive your sandwich order by Thursday, I will order you a turkey on wheat. Thank you." For the longest time, I thought it was some kind of threat, but no, she thought that was everyone's favorite default sandwich. It's definitely not mine.

My hate for (some) smoked foods started once when I was about 19 and tried some smoked gouda in a grocery store. I don't know if it was just repulsive or I wasn't feeling well or what, because I had eaten smoked foods and gouda before. It was just so strong, I couldn't look at gouda again for years and that weird smoke aftertaste...I can still taste it. Makes me want to gag. I've since eaten smoked gouda and been OK, but I think that earlier incident was just the grossest cheese on the planet.

It's funny how that taste/smell combo really conjures such visceral reactions in so many of us.

Now if you smoke me a whole salmon, I might be all Henry VIII and eat the whole thing by myself in one sitting. And I really love the smell of hickory, like for smoking ham or sausage, etc. And of course bacon. And I do put a drop of liquid smoke in my brunswick stew (which feeds about 15 when I get carried away and make too much) but I try to make it only a hint...it's freaky in a lot of things because it is that gross, weird taste, bottled.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    yup. and Evil Twin LOVES it. *vomit*

and the other day she talked me into getting some of that zoe's turkey salami. only ET and our pound dog will eat it.
    I do not understand turkey bacon, turkey salami...or my new favorite...turkey ham. Turkey HAM? WTF? Either you want ham or you want turkey. Turkey cannot be ham.

And as a side note, this is not a judgment on veganism, but I really don't understand the concept of vegan cheese. If chocolate can't be chocolate without a certain amount of cocoa butter, and ice cream has to be labeled as a "frozen dessert" if it doesn't meet certain requirements, and there is such a thing as "cheese food" that they use in processed foods, and Pringles can't call themselves potato chips because there isn't enough potato in them, then how can cheese made from coconut milk be cheese? Wouldn't you just call it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    One of my all time favorite drinks from one of my all time favorite bars is a salt-and-pepper martini: Gin, Grapefruit Juice, simple syrup, salt rimmed glass and pepper floating. Can get me in to trouble!
    I would try that. I love grapefruit flavored things and there might be enough other flavors going on with that that I might be able to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I like all the bitter greens, and ive always loved grapefruit. When i was a child, (before you could get the non seasonal fruits all year the way you can now) my grandmother would ship a gift box of grapefruit to me from Florida evey winter. It would be packed with that green cellophane grass you see in Easter baskets.

I like gin. In the summer if I think Im in a bar that can make it I will have a Tom Collins. Nostalgia in a glass. Last summer I was with a friend who ordered a sloe gin fizz, and then the rest of us were ordering them too. Hadn't had one in years.
    I love Vodka Collins but I will drink either one. I like the Tom Collins name better. I try to order them in the wasteland where I live and I think the last time I did that, it took three people coming to the table for me to explain what I wanted. Two waitstaff and the bartender...and when I finally worked it out, the drink arrived in a short tumbler instead of a, I don't know, Collins glass. This is why I drink at home. (And do not even get me started on trying to order a mojito around here.)

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Tom collinses and sloe Gin fizzes are two of my favorite drinks. People look at you like you have 3 heads when you order either. I like g&t but only with Bombay sapphire or tanqueray (I totally spelled that wrong) rangpur.
    Sloe gin fizz is another favorite, but someone managed to convince me it wasn't real gin (it's a liqueur made from gin so they were wrong), but it fooled me enough that I was addicted to those for a while. But I feel your pain. See above. That's another drink I make at home when I think to have sloe gin around.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Heck yeah, vodka is my favorite. A nice dirty martini when going out to have a nice dinner. Or Stoli orange with cranberry or sprite.
    I love dirty martinis. That is a drink I literally crave. And vodka just goes well with everything and you can drink it cold.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^ many girlfriend is a bartender (surprise) and she makes terrific dirty martinis and stuffs the olives with Gorgonzola cheese.
    How do you make your Brunswick stew?
    Waterslide likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I love everything else you mentioned other than the grapefruit. I don't know why its my sticking point. I try to eat foods I hate every five years or so to see if I still hate them and most of the time I can find something to like about whatever it is and grapefruit just never makes the cut for me.
    Funny - I'm exactly the other opposite. I don't like bitters at all, but I love grapefruits. Weird. Oh and someone told me to eat grapefruits with cottage cheese. Really weird, but it works. I like it better plain though, maybe with a bit of sugar.

Smoked turkey is NASTY.
    I don't think I ever had that... But around here, smoked anything isn't much of a thing I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Now that's something I would spend too much money in one evening on. I love Martinis! But...

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    ^ many girlfriend is a bartender (surprise) and she makes terrific dirty martinis and stuffs the olives with Gorgonzola cheese.
    ... this would be a big fat no for me. I HATE gorgonzola cheese. So much!
    Waterslide likes this.
    -

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information