Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: F**k you, Kombucha!

I think if your digestive system needs this to work properly then you've got bigger problems.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Hey, I know I'm not crazy about the idea of fermented tea, but then some people wrinkle their noses at mouldy cheeses, and I LOVE them. Just had some brilliant Stilton last night.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Elite Member

They have these things called Probiotics that come in pill form. If you want better digestive health, take those and eat natural food. This is just gross. I remember years ago when Kombucha tea was all the rage among the snake oil believers who wanted quick weight loss. It was around the time of the cabbage soup diet. I guess between eating cabbage soup and drinking Kombucha tea, you sure as hell wouldn't have much of an appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    They have these things called Probiotics that come in pill form. If you want better digestive health, take those and eat natural food. This is just gross. I remember years ago when Kombucha tea was all the rage among the snake oil believers who wanted quick weight loss. It was around the time of the cabbage soup diet. I guess between eating cabbage soup and drinking Kombucha tea, you sure as hell wouldn't have much of an appetite.
    And the combination would likely eat through your intestinal walls, another effective way to lose weight.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

My sister makes her own Kombucha, I dunno, seems like apple cider vinegar and I never really got the benefits from it.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    kimchi and sauerkraut are delicious. kombucha's not as bad as the article makes it sound but i don't feel the need to ever drink it.
    funny I started this thread and then a few years ago I tried kombucha again and went from indifferent to this is fucking amazing and now I even kind of want to try to make my own, mostly because store bought is fucking expensive, and I’m sick of yogurt and would rather driink this instead for the probiotics.

Has anyone tried making their own?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Do we need probiotics? I only ever take them when I'm on a course of antibiotics, which is like once every five years. Am I going to die from yoghurt deficiency?
    sputnik and arie_skop like this.

I wondered whatever happened to this thread. It literally took me up until about two months ago to bite the bullet (so behind the times) and try kombucha...and I really just liked it, loogies and all. There's one that's Gingerade and it's just like ginger ale. It didn't gross me out at all. I was expecting apple cider vinegar and it's so much better than that...

@sput, my cousin tried to make her own. I don't know what happened with that, but she told me that the stuff you make at home is better and more potent because since it doesn't have those pesky government regulations or need to be pasteurized or whatever it was. I can see if she has a recipe or if worked out for her.

@faithanne, I don't think we need probiotics but when my Dad was on so many antibiotics they always told him to eat yoghurt. Other people that I know who hate yogurt (?) take pills though, especially if they have gut problems...like IBS. I don't think we need them, though.

I wanted to make my own ginger ale. Most of what you can get in the US tastes like HFCS and carbonation. When I was in Canada, there were like a million different kinds and they were kind of spicy. I wanted to recreate that, but I never get around to it.
    sputnik likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^OK thanks. I rarely have any gut issues as I'm a vego and drink 4+ litres of water a day. If I don't need to take something I won't, especially after watching Vitamania last night.
    Waterslide likes this.

I love kombucha, especially the ginger-flavoured kind
    Waterslide likes this.
    On avance, on avance, on avance...

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Do we need probiotics? I only ever take them when I'm on a course of antibiotics, which is like once every five years. Am I going to die from yoghurt deficiency?
    it's definitely an individual thing but i know i feel better when i eat probiotics, either yoghurt or kefir (the real stuff, not danone or other such bullshit) or kombucha or just fermented veggies. it's not that i feel bad without them but i feel like my digestion is better, there's less gas and bloating, etc, if I'm eating lots of veggies and probiotics and drinking enough water and if i don't have those three things, i start to feel 'off' and i get bloatier. i'm just fucking bored of yoghurt and kefir so kombucha is a nice alternative, and it's tart and fizzy and not sugary at all so i love it.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    ^OK thanks. I rarely have any gut issues as I'm a vego and drink 4+ litres of water a day. If I don't need to take something I won't, especially after watching Vitamania last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's definitely an individual thing but i know i feel better when i eat probiotics, either yoghurt or kefir (the real stuff, not danone or other such bullshit) or kombucha or just fermented veggies. it's not that i feel bad without them but i feel like my digestion is better, there's less gas and bloating, etc, if I'm eating lots of veggies and probiotics and drinking enough water and if i don't have those three things, i start to feel 'off' and i get bloatier. i'm just fucking bored of yoghurt and kefir so kombucha is a nice alternative, and it's tart and fizzy and not sugary at all so i love it.
    I'm sick of yogurt, too. Didn't think that would happen. That said, I do also feel better when I eat yogurt. Can't put my finger on it and since I have liked yogurt since I remember eating, it's not having a placebo effect on me.

I'm not positive, but it's more about your gut bacteria being stable, not so much your regularity, or having IBS, etc., but it affects that as well. I don't think there's a specific symptom if your gut bacteria is off, you do just feel better when it's not off. But a quick google search tells me that there are multiple articles about vegans having healthier gut bacteria than other people, so who knows? It may just be a quick fix for us meat and dairy eaters?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    I love kombucha, especially the ginger-flavoured kind
    I think the ginger kombucha tastes so good because it's ginger ale on steroids without the syrupy taste of Canada Dry (US version). I can find ginger ale that's like $4 for a tiny bottle that still has the ginger shavings in it and it's organic and small batch and blah blah blah and it has very little to no sugar and that's nice but I want MORE than a shot of it. Sometimes I just drink ginger beer (fentiman's is my go to). No, I don't know why I'm hijacking this thread with talk of ginger ale, but my point is sort of that I think it's a similar process to make a "ginger bug" and going over the line into making kombucha.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

i'm the opposite, i'm always pissed off when they sneak ginger into other kombucha flavours. it's weird but while i love ginger for cooking i really don't like drinking it. even more weird is the fact that i love ginger ale but i only like ginger beer when it's in a Pimm's cup.
    Waterslide likes this.

I love ginger in everything. Food, candy (the crystallized ginger stuff), drinks. My parents way back in the day used to drink Moscow Mules and as a kid I would be allowed a taste and I'd get whatever was left at the bottom of the ginger beer bottle. I also found an alcoholic ginger beer from Jamaica that was really good, but really potent for beer.

I have somehow never had a Pimm's cup. How do you make that? (Come to think of it, what does Pimm's taste like?)
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

I fucking love kombucha. My coworkers make their own and I've tried some, homemade tastes so much more flavorful than store bought. I haven't made my own but it seems like a waiting game and not too dangerous. My coworker said it's easy to tell if it's bad.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information