Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

Default Re: Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

^^I'm pretty sure I've seen an ice cube tray with a lid. It may have been a tupperware or pampered chef thing, I don't know. I was also so thrilled to find (at the dollar section of Target, no less) a tray that makes ice 'tubes' that fit perfectly in water bottle. So cool!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Gold Member

Tupperware makes the tray with a lid. I had a customer buy one for her motorhome, she said it was perfect. Ugh, do you have any luck with those "ice-tube" trays? I bought one, filled her up and the ice never came back out, no matter what I did. I just bought a silicone tray at Ikea that has tubes, but the tray is flexible.

I have one of those olive grabber things too! I got to thinking, I also have a pastry blender which is very important if you're making drop biscuits. I also have this little thing that's a corn butterer. You put a chunk of butter in one compartment and salt and pepper in this other spot and there you go. Much classier than rolling the cob of corn across the communial stick of butter, maybe someday we'll use it. I use my tupperware shaker all the time, it's great for starting gravy. For someone who doesn't cook that often, I sure do have alot of kitchen stuff. I like to tell myself it's because I have less than 5 feet of counter in my kitchen. Who the hell builds a kitchen with that little counter space? We'll see how well I do in the new house.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

I own three fondue pots, but I do make fondue occasionally.
    Keep passing the open windows.

I have some grapefruit spoons that we hardly use except for a time when my son was into freezing kool aid, soda or fruit juices and using the "teeth" to break through the frozen drink.
    I have three little baby bamboo spoons, I dont know what they are for. I had gotten a tart pan from Pampered Chef 6 yrs ago and just gave it away when we moved. Never used it, it was still in the plastic.
    I have a yellow strainer from Tupperware Ive had since I believe 1989. Its my prized kitchen gadget along with my pizza stone and pizza cutter from Pampered Chef.

The only reason I have ever used a garlic press was to make dough art hair when I was a child.

I love to cook, but am the ultimate "make do", rather than buy what I need. I am addicted to looking at kitchen stores, but never actually buy anything. Things I have in my kitchen:

My late mom's cast iron frying pan and corning ware casserole dish. Both are older than me.

My BF's late uncle's meat cleaver, and a really nice chopping knife that appears to have had it's blade snapped in half at some point. I still use it.

I do have a mortar and pestle that I bought for myself. I use it quite often.

My old roommate's previous roommate's braun handmixer. It's really good!

A cheese grater with four sides, different holes, that I use for zesting as well as grating.

A cheesecake pan minus the bottom part. What happened to the bottom of it?

I need to do a spring cleaning, and then a spring shopping!

I think I've used my garlic press once. Every time I open various drawers I see things I rarely ever use, but don't want to part with. I have a hand-held egg beater -- they're getting hard to find now. Soljita's right -- the second you throw something, anything out, you will invariably need it within 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    I have a hand-held egg beater -- they're getting hard to find now.
    what...like a whisk?? or the ones that you crank and there is the two whisk-ey bits??

I have an excellent chopper thing that dices onions in about 2 seconds flat, no fuss, no muss, no tears!!

^^^I have that thing, and I find it to be a major PITA. It turns the onions to a weird half-chopped mush, and then it's a mess to clean up. I've resigned to just having teary eyes and smelly fingers (and I chop a lot of onions in my house).

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon
    ^^^I have that thing, and I find it to be a major PITA. It turns the onions to a weird half-chopped mush, and then it's a mess to clean up. I've resigned to just having teary eyes and smelly fingers (and I chop a lot of onions in my house).
    We have one and my goofy husband uses it. I think the blades must be dull because ours is a PITA too. We have a food processor too but I just prefer to chop onions by hand. No mess, no clean-up, no electricity....

I don't have any 'fancy' gadgets, but I am addicted to pyrex dishes...of all shapes! My hubby asks just how many of those do I need? And a matter of fact, for my b day my sister and her family came over and we made stuffed shells-used 5 pyrex dishes!! Had to make enough for her to take home and left overs!!
    I have several different sets of measuring cups. I also want a set of the ceramic measuring spoons I saw on some cooking show on FoodNetwork-any ideas where to pick those up?
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Have u tried the food network website Sweetrebel? Also http://www.chefscatalog.com/ has a bunch of cool stuff.
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood". --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon
    heh heh, oh well. works for me!

^^You're lucky!!! I was so looking foward to not chopping onions anymore! To be fair, I've got the really cheap version....perhaps if I'd spend a few more bucks I might get one that actually works!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information