Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

Default Re: Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

Sigh. I'm in my 1st apartment, unmarried & single, & I need so much crap & I know this is really tacky & un-PC of me to say, but I really wish I could register for all the stuff I need for this apartment. I've lived here almost a year & still don't have everything bought.

By the time I get married, what will there be left to register for?? I'll be older & myself & my fiance will already have all that we need.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Grape scissors? WTF?

A*O

You call yourself a gourmet and don't have grape scissors? Jeez, next you will be telling me you don't have ANY fruit cutlery.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

we have a chocolate curler, but that's kinda useful.

though we haven't used it.

Fruit cutlery? I have a cabinet full. But of course. Hehehe.

Gold Member

I did Tupperware years ago and have all kinds of nifty little gadgets! I have melon ballers in several colors, citrus peelers (quite handy), I have a thing that you stick into onions and stuff and it holds them as you slice them. I also have a "Quick Chef", it's a hand powered food processor but it's convenient and easy to use and clean. I have a chopper that's great too. I just bought some new silicone tongs from Target (99 cents) to use on my Hamilton Beach grill (teflon coating, ugh). I have a cookie scoop, ice cream scoop, cheese slicers (notice the s on that), several tongs and spatulas and of course more tupperware gadgets. Pampered Chef has some of the neatest gadgets, oh and IKEA! I LOVE going in the kitchen section there. The first time we went there I was a little sad to already be married and in a house. I'd have to buy everything for myself, I think when we move, I'll just "lose" the ucky things that need replaced.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

^^^Mk, you reminded me of a couple other gadgets I have. My SIL got me an hor D'ourve tong thingy (Pampered Chef) that I have NEVER used. I just can't get rid of it! Because, you know, one of these days I'll have a fancy party and need an hor D'ourve thingy! :p

I also have a shaker from Tupperware that actually gets a lot of use. I always make my pudding in it, and I've taken to shaking up the eggs in it for my scrambled eggs.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

It's not really embarrassing, but I have hardly used the food chopper that I wanted oh so badly. I'm glad now that I got a cheap one, because it really is easier to just use a knife! But if I ever make salsa, boy will that thing come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon
    ^^^Mk, you reminded me of a couple other gadgets I have. My SIL got me an hor D'ourve tong thingy (Pampered Chef) that I have NEVER used. I just can't get rid of it! Because, you know, one of these days I'll have a fancy party and need an hor D'ourve thingy! :p

I also have a shaker from Tupperware that actually gets a lot of use. I always make my pudding in it, and I've taken to shaking up the eggs in it for my scrambled eggs.
    That just reminded me of something. As soon as you actually do get rid of something you have never used, the very next day you will need it. Sad but true.

A*O

My mother has a gizmo like a baby version of the pincer/grabber things cleanup crews use for picking up rubbish after big concerts, etc. You push a plunger and the pincer opens - release the plunger and it closes. Mother's one is used for picking up pickled onions out of the vinegar in the jar. Seriously.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I have loads of cooking stuff. some ridiculous, some old and some just way too obsessive. I have six, count 'em, six bread pans, and every kind of individual jello mold you could ever imagine. Hand tools old and beatup like a grater, antique rolling pins (not on purpose antique), a melon baller (which I have used! how else do you make a fruit basket for brunch?), grapefruit forks, oyster forks, shrimp forks, too many cake pans in many shapes and sizes and a special sifter/shaker I got from Tupperwear just for powdered sugar to put on French Toast.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    My mother has a gizmo like a baby version of the pincer/grabber things cleanup crews use for picking up rubbish after big concerts, etc. You push a plunger and the pincer opens - release the plunger and it closes. Mother's one is used for picking up pickled onions out of the vinegar in the jar. Seriously.
    OH my god, my mother has one of those! A silver thing and you press the top with your thumb, a bit like a syringe, and the claws come out, release and they close on the target onion.

We had a clear out when we last moved. We had a waffle maker that we were given as a wedding present that we used once - we ate so many buttery waffles that we both felt sick and neither of us could face it again, so that went. I don't think there is a toaster in the world that works properly so we chucked that too.

I have a small, cheap electric whisk, a Braun Multipractic thing that the husband uses all the time, and a fantastic top of the range Magimix food processor that gets used once in a blue moon.

I have a lemon zester, but never went the way of the melon baller.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I use my zester quite a bit for everything from lemon to nutmeg to garlic. It's actually a rasp that I bought at Lee Valley hardware.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Lil
    OH my god, my mother has one of those! A silver thing and you press the top with your thumb, a bit like a syringe, and the claws come out, release and they close on the target onion.
    That's the one
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    I use my zester quite a bit for everything from lemon to nutmeg to garlic. It's actually a rasp that I bought at Lee Valley hardware.
    Ooooh, Love Lee Valley! I'm currently drooling over their mortar and pestle.

With all of the useless gadgets out there, why do I find myself saying, "Somebody ought to make......" I'm currently wanting an icecube tray with a lid. If it got jostled in the freezer, there would be no spill and the cubes wouldn't pick up odd odours.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information