Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easter Dinner

Default Re: Easter Dinner

I have a friend who often adds anchovies or anchovy paste to pasta sauce/meat dishes. I'd love to use it more, but living with someone who doesn't eat fish makes it hard.

A*O

Is he allergic to fish or just doesn't like it? If the former, never mind. If the latter, try to slip a little anchovy into something gloopy like a pasta ragout sauce and see if he even notices. I bet he won't.

On the subject of 'magic' ingredients, a teaspoon of sugar in any kind of tomato-based sauce will make the flavour absolutely zing.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Silver Member

Dammit A*O you told people my trick! I'll usually use a brown sugar and a little bit of balsalmic vinegar, sounds odd (or sweet and sour!) but it tastes gorgeous

Yes, an ex-boyfriend's Italian mama taught me the sugar/vinegar trick. Lemon juice also makes flavours sing.

No, hubby is vegetarian, but I confess I have thought about adding the anchovies and saying nothing.

Silver Member

As a veggie, I'd go crazy if I ever found out someone had 'spiked' my food. Have you ever used Worcestershire Sauce though pacific? It's a sauce made with anchovies, that you add to give richness to food, and there are vegetarian alternatives (mushroom ketchup, Henderson's Relish) that wouod work just as well, and, like the anchovy based sauce, give things that extra zing.

^^ That might be something to consider. With things like anchovies, you're basically looking for that... really savoury, salty, rich, kind of meaty flavour, I think? There might just be some veggie imitation products that provide something similar.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

You'd be surprised how many people don't actually understand what being a vegetarian actually means in practice. I remember we went on a skiing vacation during one of our veggie periods and even though we'd told the company in advance that we were veggies (and VERY unpicky provided no meat was involved) our hosts still asked us every single fucking night if we wanted chicken or lamb for dinner.
    Dame Edna Everage

Many people seem to see it as some sort of disease that can be cured by surrepticiously giving someone meat or just by nagging. My kids are veggies (and far more knowledgeable about labeling and ingredients than I was at that age) and I respect that, but they have to be careful at other people's houses. One relative in particular seems to be incapable of grasping the concept and keeps going on and on about protein and meat even when it is pointed out that they wouldn't be talking like this to anybody else.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

When I did a student exchange a few years back one of the girls in the group was a vegetarian, so they put that on the little fact sheet that all the host families got in advance. We stayed together when we were in the Netherlands and the first thing the host family did was ask her if she would be OK if they were serving salmon for dinner. They eventually understood, but she felt really uncomfortable the first night because they had to make her a separate meal from everyone else.

A*O

To be fair, a lot of 'vegetarians' do eat fish sometimes, but it can be tricky trying to guess what they will/won't eat. Dairy and eggs are a particular minefield. When we entertain veggies I play it safe and serve totally vegan food.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Anything but Tofurkey!

Usually when I know I'm having vegans at the holiday meal I'll make sure there's plenty of non meat options available too. Can't exclude my pals just because they eat differently.

Last weekend for Easter we had a picnic with pals at Shenandoah National Park. They brought the ham and salad and I brought the other foods. It was a lot of fun and rather untraditional. We saw an even more untraditional redneck family bearing buckets of KFC, Mountain Dew and enough Easter candy to induce sugar poisoning in a class of kindergartners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information