Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easter Dinner

A*O

Default Re: Easter Dinner

Just a leg of lamb (bone in, better flavour). Pat it dry with kitchen paper and then make little stabs all over with the point of a very sharp knife. Put random slithers of garlic, fresh rosemary leaves, anchovy pieces in the holes. Brush with olive oil, a little salt and pepper and put in a hot'ish oven (200C - dunno the gas/F conversion) until it's cooked how you like it and depending on the size of the joint. 20mins per pound, plus and extra 20 mins works for me. I like lamb a bit pink in the middle but others prefer it well done. Don't forget the mint sauce!

I usually serve it with plain boiled small potatoes and a tray of various roast veggies (pumpkin, courgette, capsicum, mushrooms, carrot, whatever you fancy really).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita
    I am going to have whatever the person I can talk into inviting me over is going to fix. Mom will not fix anything...she refused to cook anymore!!! ...
    they will just go out to some restaurant with their church friends like they always do. hmmph.
    Hey Sojiita go to Smokey Bones
    A*O I love anchovies, and your description sounds soooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    Just a leg of lamb (bone in, better flavour). Pat it dry with kitchen paper and then make little stabs all over with the point of a very sharp knife. Put random slithers of garlic, fresh rosemary leaves, anchovy pieces in the holes. Brush with olive oil, a little salt and pepper and put in a hot'ish oven (200C - dunno the gas/F conversion) until it's cooked how you like it and depending on the size of the joint. 20mins per pound, plus and extra 20 mins works for me. I like lamb a bit pink in the middle but others prefer it well done. Don't forget the mint sauce!

I usually serve it with plain boiled small potatoes and a tray of various roast veggies (pumpkin, courgette, capsicum, mushrooms, carrot, whatever you fancy really).

Count me in, please?
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Silver Member

I'm dyin' here! I'm going to make it. Sounds heavenly . I've never heard of courgette or capsicum, what are they? I want some! Where do you get them?

Courgette = zucchini?
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Silver Member

yep, and capsicum is a bell pepper, or just an ordinary pepper as we call it over here. A*O's just getting all Aussie on us...

A*O

Sorry - I forget that Brits, Aussies and Americans speak totally different languages. Courgette = zucchini (sp?) and capsicum = (bell) pepper.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

My parents turn into rebellious teenagers on religious holidays so gods know whats for easter dinner this year. lol. I'm thinking about trying to convince them to have a vegan easter but they're having none of that. Best best is we're having a barbeque because dad, like every other aussie guy, loves the barbeque.

My family usually does lots of the traditional New Mexcan food for Easter, enchiladas, beans, red chile. Lots of different stuff like that. Our family usually does a big meal on Good Friday, most of my family is Catholic so, lots of different foods w/o meat. MMMMMM!!! This is making me hungry!
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood". --Oscar Wilde

Silver Member

Sorry - I forget that Brits, Aussies and Americans speak totally different languages. Courgette = zucchini (sp?) and capsicum = (bell) pepper.
    Courgette and capsicum are way cooler than zucchini and pepper. Hey, do you eat beets on your hamburgers?

A*O

You mean beetroot, the purple stuff? Hell yeah! It's VERY good for you too. Also grated raw on salads.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

^ mmm beetroot on anything is good. I think the best combination ever is shredded beetroot, grated carrot and grated cheese on a sandwhich with tomato and lettuce.

A*O

With lots of nasty Pride mayo! (bleruggg) - it's the 'strayan way!
    Dame Edna Everage

I just used your anchovy suggestion for tonight's lamb roast and it was amazing. Thank you. Since we are no longer doing the reputation thing, I'm giving you imaginary rep points for this! Imagine you just got a green square.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

A*O

Aw shucks - thanks for thanking me. It's always a bit worrying when you recommend something and pray it works out OK for someone else too!! Anchovies are much-maligned little darlings. People go "ew" but it's amazing how you can sneak them into things to enhance the overall flavour and nobody is any the wiser.

Another quick and delicious anchovy dish:

Fry about 6-8 anchovy fillets and a couple of crushed garlic cloves into a little olive oil until the anchovies break down to form a paste. Meanwhile steam some broccoli florets and cook some pasta shells. Mix it all together with a dash more olive oil and salt/pepper to taste and grated parmesan. It makes the broccoli and pasta taste fantastic but only you know the 'secret'. You can add some bacon bits too if you want to make it more substantial.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information