Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. McDougall - vegan diet

I don't eat egg products but egg beaters are heaps more heart healthy than the crack open shell egg thingies.

Also as a plus, you can't break the lil bastards and have them go to waste. Messy too.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

so what do vegans use instead of oil?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Vegans do use oil, vegetable oils,olive etc. Just not butter, lard etc..
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

We don't get EggBeaters here. Unless you count the metal whisk kind

Waaah!

I think I'm going to try the egg beaters as an omelet for dinner or I'll just have my smart ones pasta primavera ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

soymilk is raunchy.. i hate that crap. I tried eating it with cereal and it just has this musky funky taste/odor to it that i just do not like.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well try a flavored kind grimmy, you'll get used to it eventually. but you might be allergic too, a lot of folks are allergic to soy and don't know it!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    so what do vegans use instead of oil?
    Folks who follow the McDougall Program don't use oil.

I use a little bit of plain old water for sauteeing things. It works fine and I've never had anything stick to the pan. For baking, I use parchment paper and non-stick baking pans.

When it comes to recipes, it depends on the dish. I've been doing this for a long time and substituting for fat is second nature to me now. Cooking and baking without oil, margarine, or shortening isn't very hard once you get the hang of it.

Soymilk is one of those items where I have found that the particular brand makes all the difference in the world. Silk = Good. Others (availible in my area at least) = Bad!

Although by itself I don't think it tastes as good as skim milk, there is something about plain soymilk that lends itself well to a combination with grains. I love how plain soymilk tastes in my oatmeal or cold cereal, even though I don't care to drink it by itself.

However, I did recently discover that chocolate flavored soymilk (provided it was Silk brand) is awesome!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Soymilk is one of those items where I have found that the particular brand makes all the difference in the world. Silk = Good. Others (availible in my area at least) = Bad!
    Absolutely!

Silk is great and fairly cheap now that it's mainstream and in most supermarkets. Natura is also very good and organic.

^^^
    thanks for the answer, aabbcc. i guess water would work but i could never live without the taste of olive oil. but i only ever get cold pressed virgin oil anyway not just because it has less crap in it but also because it tastes so much better.

as for soymilk, i love the taste of milk too much to ever give up on dairy. plus i live in switzerland, land of milk and cheese. it would be a sacrilege not to enjoy that.
    i agree the taste varies a lot from brand to brand. i hate anything flavoured so that narrows choice down a lot as well. also, i find soymilk and coffee do not go well together, i'm actually disgusted by the taste. but i like it a lot in tea, especially earl grey. i do like tofu and soy 'yoghurt' and buy them sometimes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm not a big fan of soymilk, cuz it contains sugar. I don't try to find fake subsitutes for the things I give up, because it usually has something bad in it to make up for the loss (salt and sugar especially). I'll just do without and have other things instead.

I realized recently that all I drink now is water, a little coffee, a little wine. Even when I'm at the in-laws and they make chinese tea after dinner, I'll just have hot water instead.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow you vegans are so damn strong-willed! I'm very impressed and hope to someday soon be very clean in my diet as well....

A*O

I find soymilk way too sweet but they have to make it like that so it's even half drinkable.

These vegan/low carb diets are great but if you have any kind of problem with eating a wide variety of fresh fruit and veggies (and many people do) then forget it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Am I mistaken? I thought Eggbeaters were just egg whites, plus whatever chemicals they might add to it. The selection they have at our stores all say "real egg product" or some such. I was bummed, because I was hoping to have a vegan egg-equivalent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information