Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. McDougall - vegan diet

My dad swears by this type of eating after reading that book. I have to admit, at 63 he has never been healthier. It's much easier to be a vegetarian, vegan, or just plain healthy eater where he lives though...Miami, Fl. Whether eating out or in, I never have more delicious food that's actually good for me than when I'm there.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^^ Yeah, location really helps!!!

I am in a truly terrible place to even eat decent vegetarian food, let alone vegan.

Doesn't the body need some oil/fats though?

A*O

Oil and non-animal fats would fit a vegan diet. Olive oil in particular is very good for you, in moderation of course.

We occasionally go vegan for a while just to detox our systems and it works very well although the smell of a bacon sandwich will make me waver. The only problem is that you have to really get to understand the nutritional value of the various non-animal product food types so you can eat a balanced, healthy diet. Protein in particular can be a problem if you are vegan. Tofu is a good substitute and there are now lots of soy-based or TVP (textured vegetable protein) products but check the label if you are being ultra-strict about NO animal products or by-products.

I have a friend who had breast cancer who went on a very strict vegan diet. She grew her own organic fruit and veggies and even made her own beansprouts. 20 years later she's still All Clear and although she can't prove it she is sure that the diet made all the difference to her successful treatment and recovery. If I recall she used the so-called Bristol Diet which was developed in the UK for women with breast cancer. Not sure if it's still around - make Google your friend.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Doesn't the body need some oil/fats though?
    Yes, so your body can assimilate fat-soluble vitamins, but you do not need very much. Fat that occurs naturally in whole foods like avocado, olives and nuts, etc., is much healthier because it hasn't been processed and you are getting the fiber, vitamins and minerals from that food as well.

Most oils that you buy in the supermarket are very highly processed to ensure keeping quality, otherwise they'd go rancid quite quickly. These oils have no nutritional value whatsoever and are just a source of empty calories. Cold-pressed oils are better, but they can be hard to find, and if you have to buy them in a specialty shop or natural food store, they can be expensive.

When I first began McDougalling, oil was actually the easiest thing for me to get rid of. I haven't bought a bottle of oil in well over a dozen years and I don't miss the stuff at all.

Now, it someone would just invent a really good non-dairy cheese that melts, life would be perfect!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    My dad swears by this type of eating after reading that book. I have to admit, at 63 he has never been healthier. It's much easier to be a vegetarian, vegan, or just plain healthy eater where he lives though...Miami, Fl. Whether eating out or in, I never have more delicious food that's actually good for me than when I'm there.
    wow, ok, i really need to check out this book then. i guess anything worth doing is usually harder than just being lazy and eating like crap most the time...

if you don't use oils or butter or anything what do you use to, say, brown an onion or garlic in a pan to use as a base for dishes? you need some kind of grease to do that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think strict vegan diets are dangerous unless you know exactly what you are doing, and most people don't. Using moderate amounts of olive oil seems like a reasonable thing to do in most cases. I would find it hard to live my life without it on a full-time basis!

Thanks for the explanations ladies

hey, does soy milk taste like real (2%) milk???? And how 'bout those egg beaters, are they any good?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

hey, does soy milk taste like real (2%) milk????
    No, not at all really. I still really like it though, actually I prefer it, but then I never liked cow's milk. And every brand, every different fat content, etc. tastes different. (White Wave Silk is my fave.)

Egg Beaters are great imo. I don't really buy them, but they always have scrambled Egg Beaters samples at the grocery store. Quite yummy!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

We use soy milk, Silk is our preferred brand. It's good stuff. I much prefer it over milk. They have regular or vanilla flavour.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    We use soy milk, Silk is our preferred brand. It's good stuff. I much prefer it over milk. They have regular or vanilla flavour.
    Yeah, you see how it is! That Silk is some good stuff!

They have chocolate too, and it tastes just like pure cocoa... loves it!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Yeah, you see how it is! That Silk is some good stuff!

They have chocolate too, and it tastes just like pure cocoa... loves it!
    Come Christmas Soynog!
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I bought a carton of the silk but haven't tried it yet. I've been eyeing pretty hard though. a friends baby drinks it. I also bought the egg beaters so it looks like I'm gonna at least give it a half assed shot! I actually, I bought two cartons of the egg beaters....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information