Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Taste Cake Batter With Eggs Added To It?

I can get a little skeeved out about eating from bake sales or office pot luck things. Especially if the person selling it / bringing it in doesn't look particularly clean. I try not to think about it though if I think I need to be polite and eat it.

Buffets on the other hand .... NEVER.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Shit, if it looks good I will eat it. I grew up in a very country rural place, and you wont get better eats than that. Bake sales, and pot lucks at church, family gatherings, eating at my friends homes (my mom sucked as a cook) no wonder I am the size of a fucking barn!!

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I can get a little skeeved out about eating from bake sales or office pot luck things. Especially if the person selling it / bringing it in doesn't look particularly clean. I try not to think about it though if I think I need to be polite and eat it.
    I worked with a woman who brought in baked goods all the time. She also picked her nose at her desk--not a discreet rub, but finger-up-to-the-knuckle, full-rotation picks. Sometimes while talking to you. Then she'd rub the boogers on her phone or keyboard.

The thought of how they probably didn't wash their hands and have a clean enough kitchen is what stops me from eating most stranger foods. I've seen some scary filthy kitchens back when I used to clean houses and apts. for extra money.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    as a non baker, I love the boxed stuff. I bake Betty Crocker cherry chip mix cupcakes for hubs work. These people beg me to make more thinking that I'm the worlds best baker. haha. if they only knew.
    I used to make Betty Crocker (or was is Sara Lee) Blueberry muffins in the US but I made some plain cupcakes recently (from a box) and MrN threatened to use them as ramps.... they were horrible. Time to use butter, sugar, eggs & flours I guess....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    may i ask why?

just curious because on another board i visit, there was recently a huge thread about eating other people's homemade food or eating at other people's homes; mostly it was cleanliness/food safety issues. until then, i had no idea SO many people we're totally skeeved out by other people's cooking. i even sometimes buy tamales from sweet little old neighbor ladies who come around & knock on my door to sell them.

Well, it has to do with the unknown.

My mom was a home health nurse and had some bad experiences. Tree frogs in a fridge was one.

I knew a few houses growing up that were not clean. They had squirrls (can't spell) living as pets in the house and were allowed to roam free. One house the cat hopped on the table and ate the cheese off the pizza with everyone gathered around. NO ONE LIFTED A FINGER.

My dad on the other hand will eat anything anywhere.

On the flip side I eat street vendor food if I can see it made.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post

Buffets on the other hand .... NEVER.
    we have Hometown Buffet here. I had a friend that used to work there, and said someone was always dropping it back on the floor in back, and they would still put it out there to serve. blech
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I eat so much cake batter that my cake turns out flat and thin. I should just bypass the baking part, not sure why I bother.. my guys think the cake looks creepy and won't eat it.
    Oh, and cookie dough, gawd! If I bake with white flour, I have to take a heartburn pill before I start mixing, cuz I know I'll be eating several good spoonfuls!

I eat cookie or cake mixture that has eggs in it, but I only eat a little because it starts tasting gross to me pretty quickly. If you ate a lot of it then you might get sick but not from just licking the spoons, bowl, etc so I wouldn't worry about it.

And I always use butter not margarine or oil! Only if the recipe specifically says oil and only if it's a trusted recipe.

I'm always a bit cautious and eating other people's baking unless I know them well and have seen their home. If I know they have high hygiene standards then I'll eat it but otherwise I'm always reluctant. Bake sales are normally okay except a lot of people seem to use that Cremelta shit or whatever it is.

This thread has made me damn hungry for some home baking. Damn my gastro
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

I always lick the beaters. It was my job to crack the eggs and my 'prize' was licking the beaters/spatula.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Well, it has to do with the unknown.

My mom was a home health nurse and had some bad experiences. Tree frogs in a fridge was one.

I knew a few houses growing up that were not clean. They had squirrls (can't spell) living as pets in the house and were allowed to roam free. One house the cat hopped on the table and ate the cheese off the pizza with everyone gathered around. NO ONE LIFTED A FINGER.

My dad on the other hand will eat anything anywhere.

On the flip side I eat street vendor food if I can see it made.
    totally understandable especially after seeing all of that! i just never think about it too much.

and, squirrels as pets?! wow.

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    I eat so much cake batter that my cake turns out flat and thin. I should just bypass the baking part, not sure why I bother.. my guys think the cake looks creepy and won't eat it.
    Oh, and cookie dough, gawd! If I bake with white flour, I have to take a heartburn pill before I start mixing, cuz I know I'll be eating several good spoonfuls!
    you get me. you really get me.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

It never even occurred to me to be skeeved out by goodies baked by my co-workers. I guess i work with clean, trustworthy folks, lol.

I love batter of any kind. Oh, and as a kid my mom (a dietician) used to make us milkshakes with a raw egg in it.

I did have severe gastroenteritis when i was 4 though, and nearly died. I think it was e-coli from my friend's garden, we used to eat the rhubarb right out of the dirt.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

When I was a kid I sure did. I don't bake anymore though because I will eat the entire cake. I never keep sweets in the house.

As for bake sales and the rest... it depends on whether i know the person and how clean they keep their kitchen etc. I made sure not to eat anything in a bazaar and bake sale we went to that was organised to benefit stray animals. All those ladies seemed very nice but their clothes were covered in cat and dog hairs. I wasn't that optimistic about their kitchens being clean. We stuck to buying books and knick knacks.

I don't put eggs in my cakes so it isn't a problem for me.

cake batter......yum!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information