Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56

Thread: Do you really have food in your refrigerator?

  1. #16
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,118

    Default

    ^^^
    are you really allergic to chick peas? that's tragic. *tries to imagine a life without hummus*
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  2. #17
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,646

    Default

    Unless my guests wanted baby carrots, grapes, melon, or 6 month old pumpkin empanadas they're shit out of luck.. I buy enough of the food I eat to last me through the school week and that's it.

  3. #18
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,736

    Default

    I have cabinets full of stuff from tuna to noodles to peanut butter to cereal.. I have side-by-side, and a stand-up deep freezer...
    I am well prepared for pop up guest.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  4. #19
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    504

    Default

    lol there's not shit in my fridge/cabinets.

  5. #20
    Elite Member Bellatheball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    People come to my house to eat but they know not to come uninvited. Our families each live a few hours away so when they come to visit, they all come. And they stay for a whole weekend. During those times I have french toast/eggs/muffins/waffles for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and homemade roast or pasta for dinner. Plus there are always tons of cookies/bars/cake etc.

    During the week, I only buy what we need for a couple of days because I want fresh foods.

  6. #21
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    I rarely stock my refrigerator, and I just buy whatever I'm in the mood to eat that day. So if my guests want something to eat it's going to be BYOB.

  7. #22
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    are you really allergic to chick peas? that's tragic. *tries to imagine a life without hummus*
    I used to make my own hummus - from chick peas, tahini paste, and garlic and lemon juice. But it just sucked to try to blend it. The chick peas were so strong that the blender could only do the bottom two inches at a time. Then, I'd have to turn it off and stir it up with a spatula and then blend it again. And again. I always wondered how people who actually knew what they were doing made hummus.

    I have a downstairs freezer. It's got pizzas, frozen meat (gasp), frozen vegetables, and about 25 containers at any one time of frozen split-pea soup, lentil bean soup, black bean soup, and spaghetti. Also, lots of dried beans, pasta, sauces, and apples/bananas, among many other things. I do kind of feel like I'm ready for anything. There were 11 people staying over at my house last weekend, and nobody starved.

  8. #23
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    32,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I used to make my own hummus - from chick peas, tahini paste, and garlic and lemon juice. But it just sucked to try to blend it. The chick peas were so strong that the blender could only do the bottom two inches at a time. Then, I'd have to turn it off and stir it up with a spatula and then blend it again. And again. I always wondered how people who actually knew what they were doing made hummus.
    A food processor is better than a blender for tasks like that. Blenders are better for liquids, food processors for solids.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  9. #24
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I used to make my own hummus - from chick peas, tahini paste, and garlic and lemon juice. But it just sucked to try to blend it. The chick peas were so strong that the blender could only do the bottom two inches at a time. Then, I'd have to turn it off and stir it up with a spatula and then blend it again. And again. I always wondered how people who actually knew what they were doing made hummus.
    i use a hand-held blender and a bowl and that way you can move the blender instead of having to open it and use the spatula and do it over and over.
    i agree the best is probably a food processor but i don't have one and i do just fine with the hand-held. it's really easy, just chuck in the chick peas, tahini, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, and any spices you want to put in (i find a tiny touch of cinnamon or cumin works well), and i also use a little bit of the watery slimy goo from the can to thin it out a little bit so it's not as pasty. it also helps with the blending.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  10. #25
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    A food processor is better than a blender for tasks like that. Blenders are better for liquids, food processors for solids.
    Oh, that shows how little I know about food processors. I've used a mini one before to chop green peppers and onions, and my wife just got a new one about a month ago. So, could you run a food processor on chick peas until they are essentially pureed?

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i use a hand-held blender and a bowl and that way you can move the blender instead of having to open it and use the spatula and do it over and over.
    i agree the best is probably a food processor but i don't have one and i do just fine with the hand-held. it's really easy, just chuck in the chick peas, tahini, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, and any spices you want to put in (i find a tiny touch of cinnamon or cumin works well), and i also use a little bit of the watery slimy goo from the can to thin it out a little bit so it's not as pasty. it also helps with the blending.
    Thanks for the advice. I would love to start making it again. I used to make pita bread stuffed with hummus, cucumber and tomato for lunch for my wife and I before we headed out to work. That was before we had kids, though. I think my daughter would love it, but my son would probably start dry heaving (he's such a stick in the mud).
    Last edited by Tati; February 3rd, 2010 at 05:42 PM.

  11. #26
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    32,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Oh, that shows how little I know about food processors. I've used a mini one before to chop green peppers and onions, and my wife just got a new one about a month ago. So, could you run a food processor on chick peas until they are essentially pureed?

    Yes. The blades are much stronger. It will be easier. And Sput is right about the liquids, so if you add the lemon, olive oil, and a bit of the water the chick peas are packed in before blending it will puree much easier.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  12. #27
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Yes. The blades are much stronger. It will be easier. And Sput is right about the liquids, so if you add the lemon, olive oil, and a bit of the water the chick peas are packed in before blending it will puree much easier.
    Awesome. Thanks again.

  13. #28
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    17,065

    Default

    I looked in my fridge. Half a carton of milk, a spring onion, half a bottle of vimto cordial and a tin of corned beef. There was beer as well, but I finished that last night. If anyone wants to drop by unexpectedly and wants feeding there's a couple of great takeaways on the way to my house. Give me a call before you get here and I'll let you know what you can treat me to.

  14. #29
    Elite Member chartreuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    the salad bowl
    Posts
    6,410

    Default

    mmmm, hummus!

    we do keep a fairly stocked fridge, freezer & pantry. i buy lots of pantry basics in bulk (brown rice, ww flour, honey & a few other things) & have smaller amounts of other basic pantry stuff like nut butters, condiments, rice pastas, spices/herbs, etc. we almost always have some meat in the freezer; i also make big pots of marinara sauce & soups and freeze them for times when we don't want to cook. the only problem with the frozen stuff when cooking for surprise company is that we have really no way to defrost it quickly (no microwave). we get a csa box every week, so we always have farm fresh veggies, fruits, nuts & eggs on hand. i can whip something (meal or snack) up for company nearly any time.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.


  15. #30
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    mmmm, hummus!

    we do keep a fairly stocked fridge, freezer & pantry. i buy lots of pantry basics in bulk (brown rice, ww flour, honey & a few other things) & have smaller amounts of other basic pantry stuff like nut butters, condiments, rice pastas, spices/herbs, etc. we almost always have some meat in the freezer; i also make big pots of marinara sauce & soups and freeze them for times when we don't want to cook. the only problem with the frozen stuff when cooking for surprise company is that we have really no way to defrost it quickly (no microwave). we get a csa box every week, so we always have farm fresh veggies, fruits, nuts & eggs on hand. i can whip something (meal or snack) up for company nearly any time.
    what is a csa box, because I think I want one too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pet food company Nutro announces recall of dry cat food
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
  2. William 'Refrigerator' Perry hospitalized
    By Moongirl in forum Sports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
  3. SMEG's energy-efficient refrigerator
    By Honey in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
  4. Contents of your refrigerator - Similar to growing up?
    By Chalet in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM
  5. Shot duck survives two days in refrigerator
    By Dean James in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2007, 03:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •