Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diss a restaurant

Since you guys are talking about chain restaraunts, I'll post about another one I hate. T.G.I.Fridays. I went with a couple of friends and we basically got slow-as-fuck service. Waiting 35 mins for one of those appiteizer things (We ordered the fried mac & cheese, which looked like cooked boogers) and food that looked like it came out of a crappy microwave.

Thank god I did'nt pay for the meal, over priced tv dinners. But damn I felt bad for my friend.

I think this chain is only in the southeast and midwest U.S., but I cannot stand O'Charley's. I've only had bad experiences there with both the food and the service. The waiters/waitress will disappear for 45 minutes at a time only to come back with a bitch ass attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Ogrady's Bar and Grill, Toronto

NEVER EVER EAT THERE. The food is shite, it takes about an hour to get room temperature bar grub, the beer on tap is ALWAYS flat and warm.

Why people go there is beyond me. They need to fire their kitchen staff, the wait staff, all the staff but then you'd have a group of angry homos picketing outside.

Hehe. The service there is ass, too. But I have to admit, I love their fries. Plus it's right there... it's still worth it to walk to Mel's or the Joyce instead though. Even just to Einstein's for wings for that matter.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I kinda like Olive Garden.

I don't care for Chili's or Bennigan's. Bunch o'crap. Could never find anything I liked on the menu, & whatever I've ordered ended up being worse than I expected.

Re: Red Lobster, I love the biscuits & their vinagrette house dressing on the salad, and I like this cajun chicken fettucini thing they have, but I rarely go there, and never for seafood.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

KD
    Elite Member

Our Red Lobster here is very good, and ironically they are owned by Olive Garden (or vice versa). So if you ever get a gift certificate at one, you can also use it at the other.
    I love love love crab. Even more than lobster.

A*O

There must be something about lobsters...... (this restaurant is as crap as the website BTW - just check out the pics!, in fact a foodie journo friend of mine votes it The Worst Restaurant In Australia and he's absolutey right judging from the truly terrible food and service we experienced there).

http://www.lobstercave.com.au/
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by ANC View Post
    My friend found a roach in her Arby's hamburger this past week. No lie.

Ewww, their roast beef sandwiches are one of my favorites. Your friend could have been an internet sensation with this! Imagine the headlines if your friend took a picture of that right away in the restaurant for proof. Bizness there would have taken the dumps!

Chain restaurants are kind of good to review since they are all over the world.

I also agree that olive garden is overrated, but I don't think it was ever highly rated by anyone I knew that went there! Except for the endless breadsticks and salad of course.

Red Lobster's is not bad, I love seafood so I enjoy it, though it's so calorie dense like all the other chain restaurants. Seems like they drown everything in butter and sauces and drown the natural flavor of the crustaceans.

I like Chili's myself, good portions and decent taste, good menu variety too.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    There must be something about lobsters...... (this restaurant is as crap as the website BTW - just check out the pics!, in fact a foodie journo friend of mine votes it The Worst Restaurant In Australia and he's absolutey right judging from the truly terrible food and service we experienced there).

http://www.lobstercave.com.au/
    It's funny - first they want you to try their "traditional fare" and then they say they're "daring to be different!"

I've eaten at one too many so-called high-end, good restaurants in the past year where the food and service were completely lacking. I think too many restaurants in Vancouver are coasting on their reputations and a kind of faux foodie bubble as in, "If you don't like our food, then it's YOUR problem, not ours. We're simply fantastic. All our foodie/waiter friends tell us so." And since they all tout for one another and feed each other for free, it's not exactly unbiased opinion.

A couple of examples: I ordered organic lamb done medium -- I know, but I like it so that there is just a hint of pink -- and when it came it was so tough and fatty, I literally couldn't cut it. After struggling with it for a while, I mentioned it to the waiter, and I was unfailingly polite. He sighed heavily and proceeded to explain to me in a loud, irritated tone that that's what happened when people order lamb well done. Hello? He kept on until the person across from me piped up that he'd ordered his rare and it was equally tough. No apology, or new plate, was given to either us. Just a heapin' helping of attitude and a big bill.

The coup de grace came at what used to be one of my favourite French restaurants last Valentine's Day. Actually, we booked two days later to avoid the crowds, or so we thought. The place was slammed, and I take that into account. But our waiter was new, and terminally stupid. I had to explain to him what champagne was. I'm not making this up. It went downhill from there, to the point that the potatoes were weird and sour-tasting -- several people around us sent them back -- and my fruits de mer, the special of the day, was served sans any kind of cracking instruments. When I asked about them, I was told there weren't any (this at $40 a plate) but they could do it for me in the kitchen. The waiter also told me that they'd had the same problem for two days running and I was foolish enough to ask why they hadn't simply bought some utensils. We're in West Van, not some hick town for Chrissakes. For this, I was punished.

I waited and waited and when the plate finally came back, there were two tiny, as in bite-sized pieces of lobster, on my plate. That was it. Hubby had already eaten his dinner. By this time I was fuming, had lost my appetite, and I asked to see the manager. The owner and his wife, a gracious French couple weren't there that night, which should have been my first clue that things weren't up to scratch. The waiter was wisely ignoring me completely.

She informed me that was how the dish was served, but didn't offer me another choice, just a free dessert and a brandy. I should have insisted on another meal but...we took the offer. Our meal was ruined anyway.

I later wrote the owner a letter explaining what had happened, and expressing my disappointment, especially since we both really liked the food there in the past. Never got an answer, and we haven't been back since.

I've had a few other bad experiences at other restaurants as well, but these two really stand out for me. And I'm naming names -- the first one was the Brix in Yaletown, and the second was La Regalade in West Van. I will never darken either of their doors again. In fact, hubby just organized a dinner for several top judges and lawyers next month and we chose a place where we're reasonably certain we'll be well treated and the food will be good -- La Terrazza, where we ate on Saturday. Le Crocodile is also excellent -- great food and service.

The Bacchus Room at the Wedgewood Hotel used to be good, but I've had a bad lunch and a so-so dinner there, so we're giving it a miss for the foreseeable future.

How awful, how frustrating. And when you're willing to PAY MORE for good food & service! I know how insulting it is when you politely complain, and they just sort of shrug & act like you're a petulant child, and it's just your problem, sorry! How the heck is a body to eat lobster with no cracking thingy?

I think I've mentioned this before on this site, but there is a local Italian place that is considered "the best" so Mr. Lobelia & I went there for an anniversary dinner. After we ordered, they fired up a buzz saw & proceeded to cut wood upstairs in a loft. We complained, and the poor sweet waiter promised that it would be over in just a minute. Well, it would stop & start, and more promises, and we ended up just staying & eating while being miserable because of that buzz saw.

Mr. Lobelia saw the owner, an arrogant, pompous man which disappointed me because I always unfailingly adore Italian people, and he just smirked & said, "oh, we're remodelling." No apology, no discount, NOTHING. It was so vexing that it's still under my skin, even though it happened years ago.

I understand completely. For me there is a sense of occasion -- I get all gussied up, I have some great wine before we leave, and for it to be ruined by bad attitude and indifferent food is maddening. Especially when the bill is well over the $100 mark.

Another thing that bugs me -- people who can't be bothered to put on something decent to eat at a good restaurant. On Saturday there were people in jeans and sweats etc. in this gorgeous restaurant with incredible food. I just don't get it. Van. has a reputation of being laid back, but I think it is closer to being slobby.

I know it is a cheap chain place..but Outback Steakhouse is the worst. Went there(the last and final time) about 6 years ago and the food and especially the service was bad. I waited so damn long for a doggy bag(because the food was so bad but I paid for it so I was taking it) that I walked out with the plate with the food on it(had already paid..so I just left).

Another bad chain restaurant IMHO is Don Pablos(especially the one in East Columbus)..service was so bad there one time the guy I was with actually went and got our refills of iced tea and water. He also went around and for fun refilled all of the drinks of the people around us. Server was nowhere to be found.

If in Columbus avoid at ALL costs The Spaghetti Warehouse!! Half the servers are cracked out and dirty!(I know of what I speak..I knew some)..and they WILL 'adulterate' food..with the emphasis on 'adult'

*all opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone and are not meant to be anything other than my honest opinion and knowledge and therefore I cannot be sued so screw anybody who even thinks of suing me.*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

*all opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone and are not meant to be anything other than my honest opinion and knowledge and therefore I cannot be sued so screw anybody who even thinks of suing me.*
    I also had a disclaimer at the beginning of the thread...we should be ok?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Ha! Let them sue me. Nothing I've said is false, and there is such a thing as fair comment.

I dislike the Cheesecake factory. I have only been there like once in my life, but my co-workers continue to like the place. I think it's way overrated in food and the service sucks anus. The one time I was there it took like 2 hours just to get a damned seat for our party.

I give 2 thumbs up to Denny's though. Open 24 hours, lots of food for reasonable prices, what more could you want? I love their breakfast menus the best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information