Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The cruel confinement of veal calves

So glad I do not eat dairy or meat.

Soy isn't so good to have every day. I LOVE Vanilla hemp milk, i think it is better than rice milk.
    Last edited by Tati; December 7th, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

I tried that regular almond milk stuff last night.. not bad.. not as cloying as I thought it would be. I could still taste the almonds but if you're eating nut berry crunch or whatever it's fine.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Try the vanilla almond milk. I don't care for the plain
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Vanilla almond milk is available both plain and sweetened. If it's being used on an already sweet cereal, you might want to try plain vanilla first.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
    I've gone without meat for years and have lost the taste for it completely. I still do dairy/eggs but only organic. I'd like to try some of your suggestions for non-dairy milk.

One thing I'm still struggling with is finding good shoes. I don't like pleather. I wish they'd do more with fabric. And when you do find good fabric choices (like purses) sometimes they trim them in leather.

Same thing, I've been a vegetarian for years, actually I haven't eaten meat since I was a kid, because there had always been no way I would eat a cow or a veal or anything. I gave up fish years ago and although I really loved the taste of it and thought it would be awful to give that up, it was actually pretty easy to get used to not want fish anymore.

I try not to eat too much cheese (difficult in France :p) or drink too much milk. I only eat organic eggs and there are plenty of things you can cook with eggs, there's really no need for anything else (not to mention that eggs are the only animal protein product which contains all the proteins we need)

As for non dairy milk, I like soy milk, rice milk, chestnut milk, quite a lot of milks actually !

Anyway, I also wish there were more vegan shoes and bags and everything, because it really pisses me off that I have to buy leather shoes if I want quality shoes - plastic shoes smell horrible, make my feet smell horrible, and are really crap.
    Same for the bags, apart from Brigitte Bardot's range for Lancel, hard to find a really nice and quality bag which is not made of leather.
    (and I don't like jeans or fabric shoes/bags Yeah, I'm a pain in the ass)

I have a question, which I mentioned in an other thread but would be better here :
    When talking about children with my boyfriend and my friends, they all find it absolutely "horrible" that I want to raise them as vegetarians.
    I don't understand : it's ok to force a child to eat dead animals, but it's not ok to force a child not to eat them? Because whether you want it or not, you always choose for your children what they're gonna eat, that your choice, not theirs. If I were Muslim, no one would question my choice not to feed pork to my children !

I really don't get it, especially since we now know that proteins coming from animals are unhealthy (see the China Study for exemple), that the meat industry starves people from underdevelopped countries, whose lands are used to grow cereals meant for cows etc (one vegetable unit feeds 10 times more than one animal unit, but we choose to "cultivate" animals to feed industrialised countries), that this industry pollutes like hell, and that it's cruel to animals.

I really don't get why I'm considered to be a future-bad-mum because I want to raise my future children in a way that would be respectful for people, for animals, for the planet, and which would be better for their health. (yeah, studies show vegetarians live longer, develop less cancers, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart diseases ...)

So what do you think guys?
    (and no stones please, I'm not judging meat-eaters saying they're criminals or something ! )
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

i wouldn't think any different if you were muslim: i don't believe in raising children religiously. i think they should be allowed to make an informed choice when they're older, be it about religion or about eating meat.
    if i were you, i would let my kids eat meat and let them make their own informed choices when they are older.
    i have lots of vegetarian friends, and none of them are raising their kids vegetarian for that same reason. becoming vegetarian was a choice they made and one they made willingly after being raised in such a way that they had the chance to eat and try different things and then make that choice.
    my best friend is vegetarian, her little boy is almost 3 and she feeds him a variety of stuff, including meat. she is very careful about what she feeds him though and they went completely organic after he was born. her husband isn't vegetarian but this had more to do with her than with him. she wants him to make that choice (or not) later on, after weighing all the options and having been exposed to different things.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

But why not letting them make the opposite choice? Which would be choosing to eat meat when they're older?

After all, what you don't know, you don't miss, so why thinking that eating meat then choosing to cut it off is the "normal" way of things?

I think it's up to parents to choose what is best for their children when they're too young, and I want to make the choice which is the best for their health, the planet, other human beings, and animals.

I understand your friends though, and it sure must be easier not to have vegetarian kids, especially in France, people always stare at me wondering what on earth am I eating and oh my god that's why I'm so skinny and what are we going to do for dinner, do we still invite her?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

My children lived with a veg mother and an omni father. Dinners always had meat for their father, but the rest of the meal was always vegan. The children were allowed to make their own choice. If they wanted some meat, they could have it. We didn't make a big deal about it. My daughter seldom ever ate meat. She never cared for it and thought it was too chewy. My son ate anything and everything.

^^^
    aabbcc, i think that's the best way to do it.
    tiny pixie, to each their own but i don't agree with your way of thinking. to me it is the same as limiting what your children are exposed to because of the parents' religious beliefs instead of letting them make up their own minds when they are old enough to do so. of course parents know what's best for their children but i think that applies to a lot of other things and not to something like vegetarianism which, to me, is a lifestyle choice that should be made by individuals when they are old enough to understand it and after careful consideration and being exposed to both sides of the debate. it's like telling your children they have to be republicans because their parents are and never letting them know what the democrats think because the parents know best and therefore not exposing them to all sides of the debate. to me that is basically fanaticism.

my best friend stopped eating meat when she was 5 or 6. just didn't like it. her parents are omnivores but they didn't force her to as long as she was eating healthily and getting her protein from other sources.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Actually I like aabbcc's idea, the fact of proposing meat but not deliberately putting it in their plates.

I understand what you mean Sputnik, and I know we can't agree because basically, to summarize very roughly, I think my way of eating is "normal" and should therefore be encouraged, whereas you think the opposite, I won't feed meat to my children when they're little, but give them the choice when they're older to eat it, whereas you'd rather let them have meat and decide later if they want to become vegetarians (which is basically what most people will agree with, I give you that !)

So we can't agree

But I like the fact that we can talk about this without agressivity, people are often very rude when they talk about eating habits (whether they are veggies or omnis !)

That's cool ^_^
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information