Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could you live on $25 of food a week?

Silver Member

It's a shame food prices have spiked like this,you would think our representatives here would do something. Between the oil prices (which have come down) and the ethanol lobby they are really hurting the poor and middle class. I have heard food companies(Kraft) being one and also large grocery chains are lobbying to have the ethanol cut back,because it's hurting food prices like crazy. It is frustrating to food shop today. Coupons do help,except when they want you to buy five or six of an expensive item. I wonder why companies print coupons like that,it's ridiculous. Good luck to everyone with their food bills,it's a bitch today out there.

I eat out almost every night because I find that it's more expensive to buy the ingredients to cook than it is to just go out.

Hit By Ban Bus!

One person could feed themselves on $25 a week cooking from scratch.

I couldn't survive on $25 a week, maybe if I ate crap.

I'll second shopping the sales, it saves me money but it does take some time.

In my area farmer's markets are much cheaper. I can get coffee, fruits, vegtables, bread and cheese for $25.00
    Fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by maribou View Post
    One person could feed themselves on $25 a week cooking from scratch.
    I disagree based on what I consume per week, uncooked. In addition, I make all my meals from scratch.

Per week: 7 days worth for breakfast, lunch (if at home) and dinner. I don't eat pasta or potatos at home.

I didn't include coffee, cheese and condiments because I get those
    at Costco once per month.

3 apples
    2 grapefruits
    2 bananas
    1 avocado
    3 tomatoes
    3 zucchini
    1/2 lb green beans
    1 clove garlic
    1 onion
    3 cucumbers
    1 lb broccoli
    8 oz greek yogurt
    3 whole grain english muffins
    2 small pita bread
    1/2 lb salmon
    2 cans tuna
    1 lb chicken
    1/3 lb smoked turkey

Grand Total: $ 55.00

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I could and I have. It's hard but not impossible. Creativity helps.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I know that I could eat well on $25-30 a week. I'm not much of a meat eater - I can't recall having eaten any in the past month for example - so that cuts down on one's grocery bill considerably. Foods like pasta, lentils and other legumes, peanut butter, frozen vegetables, oatmeal, cheese (on sale) etc. can really stretch one's budget. Spices can keep things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I know that I could eat well on $25-30 a week. I'm not much of a meat eater - I can't recall having eaten any in the past month for example - so that cuts down on one's grocery bill considerably. Foods like pasta, lentils and other legumes, peanut butter, frozen vegetables, oatmeal, cheese (on sale) etc. can really stretch one's budget. Spices can keep things interesting.
    This is why I wrote what I eat and what it adds up to. I only eat fresh vegetables and fruits, I'm allergic to legumes, I eat a small amount of dairy products, no pasta or peanut butter, no meat at home, just salmon and chicken. 50 bucks!

Bronze Member

I think I could. I am a college student and I go throw many days with eating really cheap food.

I can't. It sounds possible for some, but I live in a large household, and I buy items for myself to last me for the week, even with my name on items, my family eats every fucking thing. It's nearly impossible for me.

my husband & i could definitely live on about $30-35 a week for groceries, if we went vegetarian. we get a box of veggies & a dozen eggs every week for $25. add in rice, beans, flours & other staples (bought in bulk & doled out over time), we could totally do it & we eat nearly all organic, free-range all the time. but, a lot of it is about eating what you have on hand, not what you're craving at that exact moment. oh, and we'd be giving up meat entirely. easy for me...not so much for my hubby.

interesting thread!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    This is why I wrote what I eat and what it adds up to. I only eat fresh vegetables and fruits, I'm allergic to legumes, I eat a small amount of dairy products, no pasta or peanut butter, no meat at home, just salmon and chicken. 50 bucks!
    I thought we were talking about whether we could eat on $25 per week IF we had to. Some of the foods on my list I don't eat on a regular basis (i.e. - the cheapest like pasta and legumes) but would if under financial strain. I forgot to throw brown rice in there.

Even with your dietary restrictions/preferences, I'm sure you could discover healthy cheap stuff to eat that wouldn't break your budget. I understand it would not be easy but you would make it work again out of necessity.

BTW, frozen vegetables and fruits are supposedly more nutritious than fresh because the nutrients are locked in at the time of processing. Much cheaper too unless you're buying organic of course.

Silver Member

[BTW, frozen vegetables and fruits are supposedly more nutritious than fresh because the nutrients are locked in at the time of processing. Much cheaper too unless you're buying organic of course.]

Raw green leaves provide the most cancer protection. But they are incredibly expensive if you consider the cost per calorie.

Fresh and raw is better. Some of the protective phytochemicals are destroyed on blanching, as well as vitamin C and some of the Bs, which is what they do for frozen, and even more destruction takes place on cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    [BTW, frozen vegetables and fruits are supposedly more nutritious than fresh because the nutrients are locked in at the time of processing. Much cheaper too unless you're buying organic of course.]

Raw green leaves provide the most cancer protection. But they are incredibly expensive if you consider the cost per calorie.

Fresh and raw is better. Some of the protective phytochemicals are destroyed on blanching, as well as vitamin C and some of the Bs, which is what they do for frozen, and even more destruction takes place on cooking.
    Marina, I understand and agree with what you are saying (raw and fresh is best in a perfect world) but in this day and age of global food distribution, who knows how long it takes for a fresh vegetable to get from the field to your dinner table (from Mexico or Chile for example). Valuable nutrients are lost once it's picked, transported to your supermarket and placed in your vegetable crisper awaiting consumption. That is unless, of course, you are lucky enough to have access to local produce and eat your vegetables very soon after purchase.

I do, I'm in university right now and don't have a meal plan card and it is so much cheaper to cook for yourselves then buying all your meals from the cafe.

In a week I only have chicken/beef twice a week and leftovers last me the entire week so that helps my lunches. Roasted Carrots and Cauliflower, pasta and sandwiches are my most common meals.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information