Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could you live on $25 of food a week?

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I'm an avid coupon clipper/sale follower and I save about 12$ a week that way. I really don't see how those women save so much money unless they're willing to buy nothing but crap that tastes like even worse crap
    No-this lady was buying chicken,already on sale. On the Kroger site,they said you could download coupons to your Kroger card. Then she would plan her meals around only what was on sale & her coupons. She said she didn't have time to spend more than a half hour a week on it. Let me see if I can find a link..OH! One thing she only shops on double or triple coupon days.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Here-from Oprah.com:

5 Ways to Save Money on Groceries
    By Stephanie Nelson

Stephanie Nelson, founder of CouponMom.com, says it's possible to fight the rising cost of groceries without sacrificing your favorite foods. Try her simple coupon saving strategies the next time you go to the grocery store:
    Plan your meals and shopping lists around featured sale items.
    • Use your store's weekly sales ad flier to plan your menus for the week. Then, write your shopping list around the items and brands that are on sale.
    • Taking a few minutes to make a detailed plan will save you the time of making unplanned trips to the store during the week—which can ruin your budget.
    • Planning ahead also helps you avoid impulse shopping during your trip.
    Know how your stores' savings programs work.
    • Do they have "buy one, get one free" deals?
    • Do they double coupons?
    • Do they offer a store discount cards that gives you automatic discounts?
    • Do they have special store coupons?
    • Once you know your stores' rules, you can combine them to pay the lowest possible prices for your items, such as using two coupons with a "buy one, get one free" deal. Combining strategies can result in free items.
    Use grocery coupons, ideally when the item is on sale.
    • Buy the Sunday newspaper—75 percent of grocery coupons come from the newspaper. Buy two to three copies per week to save dramatically.
    • Go online—grocery stores often have their best deals and printable coupons on their websites.
    • Many stores offer electronic coupons that go directly on your store discount card.
    Stock up on common items when they hit their lowest price.
    • Don't buy a year's supply, just enough to last until the next sale (two to three weeks).
    • Boneless chicken is on sale every other week at Stephanie's grocery store, so she buys two weeks of boneless chicken every other week to store in her freezer. This habit saves her family of four $325 a year on this one item.
    Be flexible about brands and stores.
    • Buy the brand that's on sale with a coupon, or get the store brand if it's less expensive.
    • Shop at the store with the best prices for your items that week.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    On the Kroger site,they said you could download coupons to your Kroger card. .
    i wish they had that for our markets here. i HATE having to print out some coupons on my printer. it uses up too much ink
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I don't think I've ever used a coupon at a grocery store. My aunt is always bitching about saving money/being frugal and it always irritated the shit out of me, especially since she's not exactly poor... but I guess it's a good habit to have, especially in terms of the tough times ahead.

Try feeding a family of 5 when you make just a LITTLE too much for food stamps. I spike the milk at night with powdered milk to make it stretch. I cook from scratch and can generally make a dinner for $10. average. Using rice, beans, and only meat that costs $2. per pound or less. Found a small veggie stand nearby that is super cheap. Frequented by Russian people and DAM they are mean in a market, but it's easily half the price of veggies in the store. However, that doesn't factor in toilet paper, soaps, etc. Frugal is not easy, in fact it's a lot of work. No instant gratification, my kids have discovered. On the upside, they have learned how to make hardboiled and scrambled eggs and that you can in fact make a sandwich from home made bread slices.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

25$ is a pretty tight budget, especially if you have to cook a meal for more than two people. I can hardly imagine how people manage to do so because I think that I wouldn't be able to do so.
    If I did have a tumor, I'd name it Marla. - Fight Club

A*O

Farmers Markets are not necessarily cheaper - quite the opposite in my experience. The produce may be fresh but unless they have a glut of something which they need to sell off super-cheap you aren't going to get a bargain. Better to go to a cheapo supermarket and buy the dented tins, surplus stock items and improvise with whatever they are selling cheap. If you have to live on tinned tomatoes and pasta for a week at $3 per day that's the deal. Almond essence wouldn't be on my shopping list. Sorry.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^
    The Farmers Market near me has sales on certain things (right now they have a sale on Apples and Cider since it's fall) but otherwise it is a bit more expensive. But great for fresh produce.

I just shop at bulk places like CostCo oncea month and stores like Aldi and sometimes Save-A-Lot to save money. I go to Kroger's once in a while too since I have one of those savings cards. I think I spend about $20 less than what I did for food last year but still get a good amount to last for a while. I think i could do a $25 budget but that would mean giving up my Red Bull and I can't!

$25.00 a week with kids?? Not sure about that. Though if anyone would eat the crap (and thats what it is that is so cheap) it would be kids.

Fruits and veggies alone would be near half of that $25.00 at LEAST, or should be.

I agree w/the woman that plans her meals around the grocery store fliers. I have done that for years. And most everything else she said is just common sense---it just takes commitment/time and a brain.

They don't download coupons to your store cards here either. Maddening.

I don't necessarily agree that you shouldn't buy things in advance, like a years supply of something, if you have a few coupons for say, soap. I got a 12pk of Dove Soap for like $1.50 after the sale price and various coupons. Soap doesn't go bad, and you always need it. Why not?? Obviously doesn't work for everything, but non perishable items, like toilet paper, etc it DOES. Again, just common sense.

The store that I shop in is still having a gas promotion. For ever $50.00 you spend, you get $.10 cents off a gallon of gas---with no limit. Last time I filled up I saved at least $2.00 PER GALLON. Makes a difference. So that is cool....

NO! I can't even go out to eat for less than that, we spend about $800-900 a month alone on groceries, and that's not around the holidays...$25 dollars is a Starbucks trip for me and the kids...
    Id rather be hated for who I am than loved for who Im not

Silver Member

[Fruits and veggies alone would be near half of that $25.00 at LEAST, or should be.]

$25 per person per week on nonstarchy f+v alone is probably minimal for health.

I spend about $8/day on f+v alone and I refuse to compromise on that, that is at the Asian store which is cheaper than the farmer's market or any grocery store or f+v stand.

The only budgets I've seen that meet that level are the ones that emphasize cheap refined grains and cheap bad fats, and limit f+v to 5% or less of total calories, and that includes some kind of processed juice.

I refuse to compromise my health in that way. An apple, an orange, a banana, and a big fresh salad with tomatoes and virgin olive oil will set you back at least $5 day and that's just to meet the minimal 5-7. Every study I've read has shown that benefits increase with increasing number of f+v.

Fresh f+v should be subsidized, not these cheap grains, cheap fats, and tortured factory animals.

^That was my point---that to eat on this little a day is a compromise of health.
    And as some of the Congress members noted, its nearly impossible to eat well on this amount, so the lower income families are almost forced to eat horribly. Sad, but true.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I'm coming into this topic late, but there is no way I could feed my family off $25 a week.

Roughly every meal I cook costs $15-$20. I only have a husband and 2 kids.

I've thought of using coupons, but they are usually only good for things I don't need at the moment and when I keep them I forget about them.

I'd love to do it cheaper, but it will take a lot of discipline.

My health would utterly tank. Diet is a big way to cope with immunosuppression, and hey, at least I wouldn't need rent: I'd be living at the hospital or an assisted-living state institution.

I did shopping today and felt all impressed with myself at the things I put in the cart and then put back after deciding nutritionally if that item was already covered in my list and if I really needed or just wanted it. Finally at check out, I saved $14 with coupons. It was still one hell of a bill, and I stuck to generic instead of brand-name for the most part.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

One or two roast chickens and a bag of rice have me covered.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information