Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cooking show host pet peeves

One of my cooking show pet peeves is when the cook describes a spice or something havin a 'certain' flavor or smell. Like this one episode of Racheal Ray's 30mm, she described anchovies as having a "nutty" flavor. HTF are anchoives nutty? Then on some episodes when she uses cumin she always says that it's "smoky", again I don't think cumin is supposed to be smoky whatever that means). God she's such a dumb bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Hmmmm...my days of working in a restaurant. Here are the most disguting things I've seen:

-A cook who had a scab from falling off his bike (a big scab) picked it off, chopped it up and passed it up as bacon bits in a ceasar salad.

-I've seen guys pass the broom in the kitchen and dump what they'd picked-up off the floor into the soup.

-A guy playing hacki sack with a ball of pizza dough then making a pizza with it.

-A guy dropping a pot full of cooked potatoes on the floor and picking them up to put in the masher. When I asked him why he was doing that he said that clients wouldn't notice they'd just think it was salt and pepper.

-Someone calling because he didn't like his delivery, they re-did and put about everything except the fridge in his order.

-Dropping and putting it back in the plate was a common occurence.

-Spitting in the food of someone who's returned their plate also happened often.

I learned never to return a plate in a restaurant and when someone with me wants to I advise them against it.

The "5 second rule".......food that touches the ground may be picked up whithin said time limit with impunity and apparently free from OH and S rules in way too many establishments Ive been to (but not worked in)

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    From my waitressing days (20 years or so) in many different restaurants I would have to say to Twitchy and whomever else, "Get a life!". Maybe I just got lucky or have disgusting sanitary habits myself (I am almost OCD with cleanliness). So. You will find hair in your food from time to time (or you won't find it). When I cook I sometimes find a hair. I took a food handler's course for a license and was told that hair is not germy it is un-appetizing. Just gross to look at. You will find germs in your food. You will also find children's boogers under the table top or on the booth seat, other customer's loose hairs floating around the place. Hear a sneeze in the room? Spores are EVERYWHERE! Take a moment to relax on your worries. The human body is capable of fighting off so many germs! Before food even gets to a restaurant or store it is subject to many bacteria, viruses and germs. Don't freak out, you will not die from eating in restaurants or buying your food from the grocery store. There are many, many other bigger things to get your panties in a wad over. Thanks for listening!
    Incorrect. You don't know what kind of germs could be in that persons hair. How about people that sweat? I don't want their sweat (which has plenty of germs) in my food. What if they had a long night and was throwing up, got a little in their hair, went to work without washing and the hair fell in my food? NASTY, Sorry I think of random stuff like this because it could happen.

I know of people that do not wash their hair everyday and the thought of them handling my food and their hair being on something I have to eat is just nasty and will make me throw up. What if that person had sex the night before and they got all sweaty and God knows what other fluids got in their hair, you know, after sleeping in the same bed. Yuck, nasty and not clean at all.

^^ You think that's bad, you should wait until you have kids.

My hubby is a beverage delivery man. He's been in the back of many restaurants, some we are now banned from going to. One is a very nice, expensive, prominent rest. in our town. He said their kitchen is so nasty, we can never eat there again. And, we had our breakfast brunch there the day after our wedding...that was before he had his current job....

Hey Mariesoleil, I think we must have worked in the same place!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53 View Post
    I hate her cutesy ways "Yummo" and "Sammies" and "Stoup." Please, give us a break from this baby talk.
    She drives me crazy. She's way too old to be using baby talk and expecting people to think that it's cute and endearing. It's annoying and stupid. The one that really bugs me is "EVOO." She needs to face the reality that she's not a cute, perky teenager. I have a feeling she never was, and that's why she tries so hard now to seem like one.

In addition to the fact that she's obnoxious and annoying, I think that her recipes are horrible. My sister has her cookbook, and so far no one in the family has enjoyed one thing that she's made from it. Nothing I've seen her make on tv looks particularly appetizing either. She also relies WAY too heavily on garlic and onions. I cringe just thinking about what her breath must smell like.

And the way she (RR) talks with her hands, always cutting at the air, makes me want to scream. I won't watch her shows when they come on.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I thought about this a while back when I saw Jamie Oliver on TV. He was making a smoothie and he dipped his finger in the blender to taste. I thought that was soo gross. And he also used the same finger to scrape out some peanut butter from the jar without washing it (he was making peanut butter/banana smoothie). I guess it was sorta ok cuz he was making the smoothie for his own son but I just think it's really unsanitary for chefs to be licking his own finger and using the same finger to touch other food esp if they are on TV!
    I also get peeved when other chefs don't wash their hands after handling meats and they continue to touch other items. They should know better about food safety and food-bourne bacterial diseases like salmonella.

Am I being too picky?
    Quote Originally Posted by calendargurl View Post
    they're always doing that on Iron Chef. sticking all their fingers in the food and licking them or they even lick the spoons and then continue stirring the food with it. GROSS!

haha i do all of that too when i cook. if my guests only knew...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

lol...Geez, what kind of restaurants did you guys with the stories work at???

The scab in the caesar salad wins the prize as the most vile thing I have ever heard a chef/cook do.

As for chefs on tv... I remember watching Iron Chef American and Bobby Flay (GAWD ALMIGHTY, I DESPISE THAT GUY) and he wanted to taste a sauce, so he actually spurt the sauce out onto the palm of his hand and licked it clean !!!! then continued cooking the damn meal with that licked hand....*shudder*

It's true, there is a lot of unhygenic behavior going on on TV cooking shows. Makes me cringe to think that some people not only think it's OK, but they are comfortable teaching it to others!

I would love to poll, not the posters here but their SI or families to ask if they wash their hands before they cook. A chef is trained to a standard. If they choose to maintain that, its an individual decision. To expose yourself on TV is another. The only difference is the level of scrutiny.

Another reason why I still laugh out loud about the "waiter.....theres a fly in my soup jokes"

Maybe hot dogs should be a little less trotter and a bit more pancreas (just a little example of where Im coming from)

Sorry to bump an old thread...but geez, what restaurants did you guys work at???? I worked at an upscale nice restaurant for quite a few years, and I had the upmost faith that what I ate there was clean. The management staff was sticklers for anything that wasn't sanitary, stuff you wouldn't even think of. The sous chef there was top notch and the executive chef was a real bitch, you wouldn't even think of pulling anything over on him. We all ate lunch there together during our breaks. I never even once saw anything borderline unsanitary, the kitchen staff was phenomenal. Its so strange that you guys have had such horrible experiences working in kitchens - mine was the complete opposite, it actually made me believe that everything I put in my mouth at restaurants is clean!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I have worked under this prick.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Best boss I ever had

Gold Member

Why ruin the persons food if they send it back? If you don't like cooking, find something else. I barely send my food back unless I get a steak that is rare when I asked for well done. I now think I'll take my chances on pink meat.

I hate the way the Barefoot Contessa lady makes that sucking in noise with her mouth. I don't know how to explain it but she does it through out her show and it drives me nuts.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information