Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cooking show host pet peeves

Default Re: Cooking show host pet peeves

I HATE it when the camera will go to a close up of a chef's hands while they are chopping food and they have hangnails and dry cracked skin. Maybe some dirty fingernails....it's all so GROSS! I don't want to look at someone's hangnails while they're handling food!

What exactly is a hang nail?
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

It's a bit of skin that peels off of your nail or the skin around your nail (sorry my description isn't the best )

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I always wondered what a hangnail was since I saw My Girl many moons ago! Thanks

I wanted to know since watching white chicks where one of them sticks their foot up on the table and says 'ooh a hang nail' and rips it off with his teeth!! *cringe*
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Two more I thought of while drifting off to sleepyland last night. HEHE
    This lady, Robin something, has a show on Food Network and she does this bug-eyed thing when explaining cooking. I can only watching it for so long before I realize Im doing my eyes like her.
    Second, I like Racheal Ray but she never measures anything in a measuring cup or spoons. Her "eye ball it" gets on my nerves. I understand she has been doing it for years however I have been cooking for years too and Im not "gifted" to be able to "eye ball" measure anything.

I used to watch the "hygenic gloves" around a front burner react like napalm, once youve seen a person peal those gloves back, makes you wonder why actual chefs went to school to understand hygene in a different sense.

School'd chefs understand that TV chefs ...a'la Oliver have their friend the editor to cut out their fuck ups......everyone burns things, or over boils, etc

The secret is experiment......do the taste test, and go with what you know.....KISS....keep it simple stupid....and dont fuck with the food (don't move it around after the first 10 secs) unless its a stew,or sauce.
    And serve it a minute before you think its ready, but wait 2 minutes to serve it.....let it rest (the juices love that)

I worked in many restaurants over the years and most of them were clean and people washed their hands a lot. I have seen some shit though, but it doesn't stop me from sending my food back if it's wrong. I can see a lougie in my sandwich, so don't try it.

As for the cooks, Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa makes me want to scream. Her laugh is so over the top and follows just about every sentence that comes out of her mouth. And she's messy and sloppy when she cooks. I'm a neat freak when I cook and it makes me want to come out of my seat when I see her pouring something into cupcake tins and she's got the shit all over the tins. Or when she's got flour all over her top (one of the six all the same color, same style shirt that she owns).

Kwik word of advice though......dont ever......EVER send food back to the kitchen, if its undercooked, deal or get up and leave - you wont have to pay....but for the love of god, dont send your food back, to be returned to you again. Chefs are a scary breed, and sending food back is on par with screwing their wife/husband...

I cant stand Nigella Lawson......its like she grabbed all of the foods that no actual chef would touch and treats it like an undiscovered masterpiece. Shit is still shit, no matter how you present it

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove View Post
    Rachael Ray is really bad about washing her hands... she mostly just sticks them under some running water for 2 seconds and then dries them off on a towel and carries on with her cooking. It grosses me out.
    A few other cooks do that. The funny thing is, some of them make some spiel about being safe/clean and washing your hands, but all they do is put their hands under running water for a few secs and wipe it off. Heelarious.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    I love to watch Sandra Lee. True, she doesn't make many low fat or healthy meals, but I like how she incorporates ingredients that speed up the process.
    I do have to admit the mathching everything does get old, but she comes up with some great ideas for the 'tablescapes'...
    I don't watch Gaida much, she cooks so much with cheese and things that I don't eat, so I don't watch...RR-she rocks, though!!
    "tablescapes" is possibly the most obnoxious word I have ever heard. Her show makes me want to projectile vomit simply because of those damned "tablescapes"

Aargh. I agree. That word is a monstrosity.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I thought about this a while back when I saw Jamie Oliver on TV. He was making a smoothie and he dipped his finger in the blender to taste. I thought that was soo gross. And he also used the same finger to scrape out some peanut butter from the jar without washing it (he was making peanut butter/banana smoothie). I guess it was sorta ok cuz he was making the smoothie for his own son but I just think it's really unsanitary for chefs to be licking his own finger and using the same finger to touch other food esp if they are on TV!
    I also get peeved when other chefs don't wash their hands after handling meats and they continue to touch other items. They should know better about food safety and food-bourne bacterial diseases like salmonella.

Am I being too picky?
    No, you're not. And Jamie Oliver isn't all that, and not half as good a cook as he thinks (and apparently has managed to convince half the world) that he is.

My cooking show/famous cooks pet peeves are:

What you said, touching or tasting the food/ingredients with their (bare) hands, especially in a restaurant situation. When you cook for your own family or friends it's okay to work with bare hands, as long as you wash them regularly during the preperations/cooking. I've seen both Oliver and that screaming asshole Gordon Ramsey cook with dirty hands> black stuff under their nails. It completely turned me off

The complete lack of modesty as they explain things, while they're cooking.
    (All chefs that I've seen do this, Ching, Ramsey, Oliver, Nigella - everybody, though I must admit that Rachel Ray does it the least annoying):
    they mix something, take a taste and say "Oh, that's just perfect".
    They garnish something "Oh, that looks wonderful".
    They taste something they've just taken out of the oven "Delicious, just right."

I also hate the "haute cuisine" way of making up a dish, like a mini sculpture of the food. They usually layer everything on top of everything and then top it off with a sauce or something. And of course that's again "Perfect"
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

As annoying as she can be, I think the only one I'd trust around my food would be Martha. You just know that woman's a perfectionist about her food, about her presentation, about hygiene.

And since we're sharing some stories...........One thing I will not do ever again is eat in any sort of food market (ie our food market at the mall). A friend of mine is in construction and often has contracts where he does his work at the mall in the evening. He says once the lights go out, you can hear all the mice (and/or rats) making a run towards the food market....like they were lying in wake for their moment.......and making that gleefull sound they make. He says the sound is almost overwhelming. It makes me cringe just thinking about it again now. I won't even let myself wonder about things I used to eat there. Like was it was chocolate chips in my ice cream, peas in my soup or something else? BLAH!

Hmmmm...my days of working in a restaurant. Here are the most disguting things I've seen:

-A cook who had a scab from falling off his bike (a big scab) picked it off, chopped it up and passed it up as bacon bits in a ceasar salad.

-I've seen guys pass the broom in the kitchen and dump what they'd picked-up off the floor into the soup.

-A guy playing hacki sack with a ball of pizza dough then making a pizza with it.

-A guy dropping a pot full of cooked potatoes on the floor and picking them up to put in the masher. When I asked him why he was doing that he said that clients wouldn't notice they'd just think it was salt and pepper.

-Someone calling because he didn't like his delivery, they re-did and put about everything except the fridge in his order.

-Dropping and putting it back in the plate was a common occurence.

-Spitting in the food of someone who's returned their plate also happened often.

I learned never to return a plate in a restaurant and when someone with me wants to I advise them against it.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information