Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking for 35, cheap, need ideas!

The pasta/salad idea sounds good.

A*O

I'd go with good old spag bol (pasta + meat/tomato sauce) too. Cheap, easy, make the sauce in advance. And a salad. The jocks will demolish the pasta and the girlies will pick suspiciously at the salad. Perfect.

For kids this age I'd steer clear of anything too 'spicy'.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^Good idea!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I thought it wasn't supposed to be a full meal? Spaghetti and salad sounds like dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I thought it wasn't supposed to be a full meal? Spaghetti and salad sounds like dinner.
    We've had 3 games so far, and two "afterschool meals" have been dinners, (sloppy joes, mac & cheese, rigatoni with salad) and one parent brought chicken noodle soup and bread. They all went over well.

The bigger boys, varsity, have to wait until the younger boys, jv, are done with their game, so they've got an additional hour.

I say feed half the guests to the other half. Cheap and easy!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Two words: Take away.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

When my parents hosted team dinners (I cheered and my brother played basketball) we had salad with a few choices of dressing, Cowboy Soup, and french bread. It was always a huge hit. I'm copy and pasting the recipe from a previous thread. It's extremely cheap to buy the ingredients and it makes a lot- For 35, I would probably triple the recipe just to be safe.

This soup is kind of a tradition in our family that we passed along to all of our friends. It's great in the winter months!!

Cowboy Soup

Easy, fast, and delicious.

1 pound ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 can mixed veggies (do not drain)
    1 can creamed corn
    1 can of Spanish rice (or box- make per directions)
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 can stewed tomatoes

In soup pot, brown the ground beef with onions until beef is cooked. Make boxed rice if you can't find canned rice. Add rice and other ingredients to pot and simmer until hot.

If you double or triple the recipe, you can refrigerate leftovers or freeze them in a large, sturdy Ziploc freezer bag. (Our family does this a lot).

I think I've got my menu pretty well set now. I'm making a French champagne punch (boozy), the causa, mushroom caviar, smoked salmon/chevre & artichoke tapenade toasts, a whole round of baked brie, savoury meatballs, plus other assorted munchies and appies that people are bringing. I'm also ordering a fancy cake, which will be served with champagne (I like champage!), and probably some other kind of bought dessert unless a guest volunteers to make something. I didn't ask anybody to bring anything, but some always do anyway. My niece and I are making most of the food, which shouldn't be hard.
    Oh there's the menu I've been wanting to see. Perfect.

How does one bake a brie? I've eaten it but never have done one myself.

I've never baked one, but I will post a recipe that I'm going to use. It sounds easy, and everything I've ever made from that site has been good.

My niece and I are making most of the food, which shouldn't be hard.
    You're making all that yourself? Sounds like a lot of work. Do you have a kitchen outfitted with all the trimmings?

During the holidays, I always wish a fancy-pants kitchen with two ovens and a 6 burner Viking stove would magically appear. But it wouldn't get much use the rest of the year.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

My grandmother makes a thing called lazy enchiladas; just torn up corn tortillas, canned enchilada sauce and chicken or beef (cooked or browned); throw in casserole or giant cake pan oven that shit and it's done.

Another good one is a massive pot of Arroz con pollo...

Take chicken parts and brown... don't clean out pan cause the scrapings are good...
    Get some onion, garlic and oil in chicken pan throw in rice, stir until all rice turns opaque... add carrots...(highish heat but you have to watch it for this part, you can use a large soup pan, you just have to keep stirring for the rice part)
    Take about two cans rotel (use mild coz you don't know the tastes of all who will be eating) tomato boullion to make up the rest of the liquid you use to cook rice (read the directions for rice... you got it) add liquids to rice bring to boil
    put chicken that has been browned and push them below surface; put the lid on, turn it down to low and forget about it for 20 minutes.

I've tried this recipe with brown rice, the cooking time is longer but still quite tasty.
    You've got carbs, protein, and veggies... good stuff and a staple in my household.
    You can make massive batches of this and it is not difficult and it has always shown itself to be a pleaser... the only thing that makes it seem not cost effective is using boneless skinless chicken breast but it is really good... if you don't make it for this you should still try it out; it's so easy and so tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    You're making all that yourself? Sounds like a lot of work. Do you have a kitchen outfitted with all the trimmings?

During the holidays, I always wish a fancy-pants kitchen with two ovens and a 6 burner Viking stove would magically appear. But it wouldn't get much use the rest of the year.
    Well, plans have been scaled back a bit due to having so much marking this week on top of my thesis defense and all the bureaucracy that goes along with it. I'm buying some high-end appies like mini-quiches and sushi, but I will be making most of the rest of it. I bought this thing called a Rotolini today, which is a fresh mozza roll with proscuitto and basil in the middle, to satisfy the meat lovers. I think most people will have already eaten, but there will be munchies galore! And lots of champagne and punch and wine.

How did the party go, PB?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It went swimmingly! My head hurts like hell, my feet hurt and my face hurts from laughing so hard! Almost everyone showed up and apparently everybody had a blast.

The baked Brie was a huge winner -- it went so fast that I only got a teaspoon of it. The champagne punch was lethal, and the cake was literally the best cake I have ever had. I see why the guy does such a huge business -- he is pricey, but worth every penny.

All in all, it was one of the best parties I've ever had. And I was actually able to enjoy it because my niece did such a great job of being bartender and getting the food out. It was one to remember. Oh, and the grad prezzies were nice, too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information