Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking for 35, cheap, need ideas!

A taco bar would be a great idea. Just make up a ton of taco meat (maybe beef AND chicken deciding on how much you want to spend) cook it and let it simmer in a crocpot. Buy taco shells, wraps, tortilla chips, dressings and let the kids get what they want.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

^^Good idea, but messy.

^^ I suppose it could be, but if you used disposable containers and put a plastic table cloth down, you can just scoop everything up with one swipe of the cloth.

(did that make sense? i'm thinking it didn't )

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    causa peruana
    (peruvian potato and tuna roulade)

there are a ton of ways to make it, it can be fancier and more expensive if you add shrimp and avocado but a cheap way to make it is as a roulade.
    basically take cold mashed potatoes (quite firm, ideally with yellow potatoes), spread it out on a rectangular baking sheet lined in saran wrap. maybe about an inch thick.

the filling is basically tuna (canned, in water), mayo, olive oil, salt, pepper, and any kind of seasoning you want, maybe some chopped veggies (carrot, celery, red bell pepper, etc).

spread the filling out on top of the mashed potatoes. also about an inch thick. then lift the saran-wrap and gently roll it onto itself, lengthwise. it's basically a log-shaped potato-tuna roll.
    garnish with black olives, red peppers, avocado slices, little dollops of spicy mayo (mayo and paprika powder), pretty much whatever you want...

these blogs have causa recipes and tips. most of them are in little individual terrines or pie-shapes but i find the roulade is the way to go for big dinners. i think it not only looks nicer, it's also easier to make.
    Peru Food: Causa: A Unique Potato Starter
    Peru Food: Recipes: Causa
    Screw the little kids(they would NEVER appreciate this ) ..make this and send it to ME!!!! stat!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Soj, I have decided to make it for my upcoming grad party. Still debating between putting chicken or fish as the filling tho, but I'm leaning toward fish.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Soj, I have decided to make it for my upcoming grad party. Still debating between putting chicken or fish as the filling tho, but I'm leaning toward fish.
    Use chicken, use roasted bell peppers and sun-dried tomatoes in the filling, make the mayo topping a pesto/mayo, and make an extra large amount..and send the leftovers to me!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Use chicken, use roasted bell peppers and sun-dried tomatoes in the filling, make the mayo topping a pesto/mayo, and make an extra large amount..and send the leftovers to me!

I'll second that!

^^Oooh, that does sound good. I'll send you some just for the idea!

mmm soj's suggestion of using chicken and sun-dried tomatoes sounds yummy... i've always preferred it with tuna but maybe it's just out of habit. let me know how it turns out, PB!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes, Soji's suggestion sounds incredible, as does the original. I'll have to try this some time.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I think I've got my menu pretty well set now. I'm making a French champagne punch (boozy), the causa, mushroom caviar, smoked salmon/chevre & artichoke tapenade toasts, a whole round of baked brie, savoury meatballs, plus other assorted munchies and appies that people are bringing. I'm also ordering a fancy cake, which will be served with champagne (I like champage!), and probably some other kind of bought dessert unless a guest volunteers to make something. I didn't ask anybody to bring anything, but some always do anyway. My niece and I are making most of the food, which shouldn't be hard.

^ And when do you need my RSVP by?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Zee

How about baked rigatoni? Buy some disposable trays from store- makes it easier to clean up.

Do a salad, garlic bread, cheese and hot pepper flakes. Typical teenager fare
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    How about baked rigatoni? Buy some disposable trays from store- makes it easier to clean up.

Do a salad, garlic bread, cheese and hot pepper flakes. Typical teenager fare

^Yeah, I think budget-wise this might be the route I take.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    I have to provide food for 35, mostly 12-14 year old basketball players, cheerleaders, and their coaches, and I need to do it somewhat inexpensively.
    Any ideas out there!
    Hit the Costco type establishment nearest you and load up on 'Za, hotdogs/hamburgers (include vegetarian), chips, veggie and dip.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information