Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is completely unhealthy and I dont know what to do...

Jeez - I feel for your predicament.

My advice would be to model appropriate eating behavior and keep the lectures to a minimum. Maybe offer to make him something when you're making yourself something. Or offer to cook dinner for the family or maybe pre-make some stuff that he can eat in lieu of the fast food? Kids are all about convenience, and if you can't count on your family to help him make good decisions, and you want to help him, you might have to pick up some slack while trying to teach him along the way to make healthier choices.

For me, the Super Size me movie just about did me in for fast food for good.

It's a sad fact that in our busy lives, it's easier and cheaper to eat junk opposed to eating healthy. I believe that most foods we eat are so over processed that they are actually harmful to us. And what is with almost everything having high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient?!? One way I've gotten my nieces and nephew interested in healthier eating is to help them plant a small garden where they can grow the foods they want. They also grow patio tomatoes and strawberries. Another idea is to find a healthy cooking class and ask him to take the class with you. Maybe if he learned how to make delicious, healthy foods himself, he may sway away from the junk.

He must like at least one veggie or fruit -- bananas, carrots, something! Buy them and always have them around, ready to eat. Same with whole grains -- does he like granola, cereal, a healthy kind of bread or oatmeal? It doesn't really matter what it is, the point is to get him to realize that good food can also taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Fried Oreos - could someone please explain??? are we talking about the chocolate bikky? cause if we are thats just fooking disgusting.
    If a bikky is a cookie, then yes it is! It may be a localized thing, standard boardwalk and carnival fare, but it's sheer heaven. It an Oreo in Zeppole dough fried and then covered in powdered sugar. The chocolate gets all creamy and the cream filling gets all melty Dear Lord, it is pure artery-clogging pleasure.
    Style, why doesn't your whole family make a pact and toss out all the junk food, keep healthy snacks in the fridge and cabinets, that way even if your brother gets the munchies, he has no choice but to eat healthy. Either he eats what you eat or he eats nothing. Sounds cruel, but it's exactly what he needs, some dietary discipline. After all, he's 11, doesn't have a job from which to earn money I imagine, so he can't go off and buy his own. Now would be the best time to rework his eating habits so when he IS old enough to buy his own food, he makes the right choices. Honestly, your mom is doing him a GRAVE disservice by providing him with such junk.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    He must like at least one veggie or fruit -- bananas, carrots, something! Buy them and always have them around, ready to eat. Same with whole grains -- does he like granola, cereal, a healthy kind of bread or oatmeal? It doesn't really matter what it is, the point is to get him to realize that good food can also taste good.
    Actually, he does like the occasional fruit or veggie.. he loves eating salad but its the EXTRAS that kill him.. gobs of high fat dressing, handfuls of croutons, fried chicken strips on the salad (which is actually what he had tonight.. a salad from Whataburger that, although a valiant effort, probably wasnt much better than what he normally eats). It's the portions too.. he'll have two sandwiches instead of one. Take last night for instance: he had two pita pockets with turkey and cheese and lettuce.. sounds healthy enough but he drenched them in Ranch dressing and ate half a bag of cheetos.. it's almost as bad as not even trying to eat healthy at all.
    I feel some of it is my fault because I'm the other extreme: I eat only veggies and fruits most of the time so there are two extremes in the household in terms of eating, which, I must admit, must partly contribute to the problem. But I've been obese before.. I know how painful and damaging it is.. all the food he's eating.. I dont want to lose my brother and it scares me more than anything.

How about clearing the house of the fatty dressings etc. and putting low fat ones out? You could even put the low-fat dressings in the same bottles if you think that might work. Or make a really tasty salad dressing -- oil and balsamic with garlic or something that enhances the flavours of the salad and maybe he'll like it. Is there a psychological reason for his eating 2 sandwiches instead of one?

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    If a bikky is a cookie, then yes it is! It may be a localized thing, standard boardwalk and carnival fare, but it's sheer heaven. It an Oreo in Zeppole dough fried and then covered in powdered sugar. The chocolate gets all creamy and the cream filling gets all melty Dear Lord, it is pure artery-clogging pleasure.

Oh my god....totally OT, but I frickin' love zeppoles. Can't find them to save my life in California, even at the fair.

I did have fried pickles, though With ranch dressing and a beer

A*O

He can only eat what's in the cabinet/fridge/freezer so whoever's filling it up with crap is the person you need to speak to, not your brother. Sure, he'll whine and complain if he can't get his hands on his favourite junk but if it's a choice between a healthy tuna/salad sandwich (with lo-fat mayo) and a banana or starvation he'll soon come around. Even buying oven-baked snacks instead of fried ones makes a difference. This is the age where he needs to establish some healthy eating habits or the rot will set in and he'll be a fatty for his whole (shortened) life.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Its a good idea not to have that junk available. If your parents dont stop buying it, take it out of the cupboard or the refrigerator and hide it. But i suppose you'd get in trouble from your parents if you did that, so I dont know if thats good advice.

A*O

If you brother is likely to be inspired by some kind of 'role model' then why not show him the actor who played young AJ Soprano and compare that fat junk-eating kid to the same guy now who has lost a ton of weight and looks great. I'm sure the transformation didn't just magically happen. Not saying your bro should aspire to be a wannabe gangster (!) - I'm talking about the actor LOL
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you brother is likely to be inspired by some kind of 'role model' then why not show him the actor who played young AJ Soprano and compare that fat junk-eating kid to the same guy now who has lost a ton of weight and looks great. I'm sure the transformation didn't just magically happen. Not saying your bro should aspire to be a wannabe gangster (!) - I'm talking about the actor LOL
    Ok.. super random but there's this show on Nickelodeon and an actor lost a TON of weight on there.. he used to be the uglier of the two leads, but now he's actually the hotter one. I'd assumed this would inspire him, but it just hasnt. He's not motivated but I know once he hits junior high the grief he gets for being fat is gonna kill him. I really wanna help him. I'm going to try my best.

A*O

You are right to be concerned - JH kids can be pretty mean. My son had the opposite problem, he was quite small in stature compared to the Aussie giant kids all around him and he doesn't have a spare ounce of fat on him (where the HELL did he get that gene from!?!) so he was picked on a bit. Luckily he's grown a bit taller now, but he'll never be a 6ft hunk which he's not happy about now but when he's a skinny middle-aged man he'll be very grateful.

The simplest solution for your brother is to remove the junkfood from the house, or at least hide it if the other household members aren't prepared to give it up. And maybe discuss your concerns with whoever is buying/cooking it for him?
    Dame Edna Everage

Whats sad is when people eat things unaware of the nutition facts. For example, this weekend my husband and I went to brunch. I had a fruit and chicken salad, chicken noodle soup, and homemade onion rings ( i ate 4). Now in that meal I know 1) the salad was generally good for me bc it was dry with a side of lowfat yogurt as dressing. I know that the yogurt has no added sugar. 2) the chicken noodle soup was ok but had a lot of sodium, and 3) the onion rings were bad, fried, yummy, fattening and salty.

I am aware of everything I put into my mouth, i know when i am being good, bad, so-so, etc. I know when I am having a treat and when I am being conservative w calories. The obesity epidemic IMO could be combatted if people were better aware of what they were eating.

I used to think "how can you not know mcdonalds is bad for you?" but truly, some people just dont get it.

I have a girlfriend who gained over 50lbs in 5 years.this is her everyday weekday diet.

breakfast
    Fast food bisquit w butter (has no idea that a piece of whole wheat toast has a fraction of the calories).

large Regular coke (has no idea that regular coke is full of calories bc its not in the form of food)

snack
    potato chips (bc its a small bag, doesnt think its very fattening)

regular coke (thinks this is not that different than drinking water)

lunch
    chain restuarant
    spinach and artichoke dip (thinks this is healthy bc it has vegetables ignores the fact it has OIL BUBBLES in it lol)

large sized fettucini alfredo (knows its a bit fattening, but has no idea how fattening or why)
    french fries (thinks this is the splurge of the meal, believing the other stuff shes eating at lunch isnt so bad)
    regular coke+ refills

bread sticks

***now it is after lunch and she still has had NO major source of PROTEIN other than some cheese that is totally processed

snack
    more chips

dinner
    french fries, salad w ranch (thinks its healthy bc its salad doesnt count the ranch), chicken rice soup (minimal chicken), ice cream sundae

late night snack
    taco bell tacos
    --------------------------------------------
    what makes this worse is that she eats MASSIVE portions

sad reality is she doesnt know how bad certain foods are.

A*O

I always laugh when people go and have a supersize burger, fries, dressing, icecream and a DIET coke.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yeah i always laugh at myself too when i order that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information