Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Dinner

Gold Member

Default Re: Christmas Dinner

We have turkey,potatoes gravy ,carrots,turnips,stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Well I'm making my famous Coffee flavored tiramisu for dessert on Chisrtmas, along with some Egg Nog yougrt. Mmmmmm

My parents are making Pork Roast, Ham with pineapples, tostones (freid bananas), empandas (meat pies), romaine salad, potato salad, chips w/salsa verde, green bean casserole, and stuffed spanish ravoli.

For dessert were having Apple Cumb pie, whipped chocolate pudding, Bread pudding, Florecitas (little Puerto Rican cookies), Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Chip cookies, and my desserts I'm making.

Yes were having alot of people over.

Christmas dinner isn't christmas dinner without turkey and huge servings of gravy. We do very traditional dinners.
    yes ncy is a typo, that's what happens why i don't get my coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    My mom makes the best cornbread dressing. I eat myself sick on it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've never eaten stuffing and I don't think I know anyone that makes it either. Something about it being stuffed in a raw bird kinda freaks me out!
    Yeah, my recipe is a variation of my mom's. Hubby will not eat anyone's but mine which is funny, because I just started making it like 2 years ago! You would think he had eaten it for ever! Bless his heart! He makes a big production every holiday about my dressing and sweet potato casserole! You better believe the way to MY man's heart is definitely through the stomach!!

Laurent-I am thinking we are kinda in the same area-maybe. Don't you have friends at Ole Miss?
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Lil

Along with the vast majority of Brits, we're having turkey. It's been ordered for weeks, is free range organic and cost a fucking fortune so it had better be good. It'll be roast with streaky bacon on the breast which then becomes cook's privilege with a glass of sherry when it comes off near the end of cooking time. Yum.

With it we always have roast potatoes (must be cooked in animal fat - lard or goose fat), carrots, brussels sprouts, roast parsnips, two sorts of homemade stuffing including a sausagemeat and turkey liver one cooked in the bird (neck end only), little sausages, rolls of streaky bacon, cranberry sauce and gravy (this'll freak some of you out ) made from the turkey giblets. Then Christmas pudding with cream or brandy butter, followed by a snooze whilst somebody else sorts the kitchen out.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel
    Yeah, my recipe is a variation of my mom's. Hubby will not eat anyone's but mine which is funny, because I just started making it like 2 years ago! You would think he had eaten it for ever! Bless his heart! He makes a big production every holiday about my dressing and sweet potato casserole! You better believe the way to MY man's heart is definitely through the stomach!!
    That's sweet that he loves your dressing so much! My Mom threatens us every year that she's going to quit cooking and haul us all to a restaurant for Christmas dinner. My Dad always makes a huge production about how tasty he thinks my Mom's dressing is and how he'd never be happy with going to a restaurant because it isn't "fresh". Turns out Mom had cooked our Thanksgiving dressing beforehand this year and had frozen the dressing in the deep-freeze for several days so she wouldn't have so much to cook Thanksgiving Day. None of us could tell the difference at all!

Laurent-I am thinking we are kinda in the same area-maybe. Don't you have friends at Ole Miss?
    We are in the same general area, but I'm one state to your right. And, I do have friends at Ole Miss. I remember you writing about your daughter's ex bf's accident - I hope he's doing better, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    That's sweet that he loves your dressing so much! My Mom threatens us every year that she's going to quit cooking and haul us all to a restaurant for Christmas dinner. My Dad always makes a huge production about how tasty he thinks my Mom's dressing is and how he'd never be happy with going to a restaurant because it isn't "fresh". Turns out Mom had cooked our Thanksgiving dressing beforehand this year and had frozen the dressing in the deep-freeze for several days so she wouldn't have so much to cook Thanksgiving Day. None of us could tell the difference at all!

We are in the same general area, but I'm one state to your right. And, I do have friends at Ole Miss. I remember you writing about your daughter's ex bf's accident - I hope he's doing better, btw.
    I was born in Birmingham....I knew you had to be close! You know too much to be from anywhere but the south! My daughter asked if I knew that Mississippi was #1 in obesity and I said yes and #1 in teenage pregnancy, illiteracy, dropouts, poorest state...woo hoo-we have so much to be proud of! Honestly though, I wouldn't want to live anywhere but here...I would visit other places, but this is home...this has made me who I am...

Yeah he is doing better. Talking about it some. I think he went back to school this week for the first time since the accident. Honestly she is as bad as he is. She wants to be with him all the time-I guess cause she came so close to losing him...she can't sleep unless she is with him...they had been broken up for a while but she is so in love with him...I thought that maybe this close call would change things between them, but not so far...she bought him a ring with all 3 girl's initials and also a friend who died in May of this year (who eerily was one girls cousin) and had "your guardian angels" put inside. He told her that was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him. I love this child like my own (they dated for a year and a half) and I wish so much that I could take that pain away. I know in time, it will fade, but it will never be gone...

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel
    My daughter asked if I knew that Mississippi was #1 in obesity and I said yes and #1 in teenage pregnancy, illiteracy, dropouts, poorest state...woo hoo-we have so much to be proud of!
    I'm sure you know the old saying "Thank God for Mississippi" people love to throw around to make themselves feel better, but honestly, it's the same way all over the South. Mississippi just gets the brunt of it. But, I'm with you, I wouldn't live anywhere else!

Yeah he is doing better. Talking about it some. I think he went back to school this week for the first time since the accident. Honestly she is as bad as he is. She wants to be with him all the time-I guess cause she came so close to losing him...she can't sleep unless she is with him...they had been broken up for a while but she is so in love with him...I thought that maybe this close call would change things between them, but not so far...she bought him a ring with all 3 girl's initials and also a friend who died in May of this year (who eerily was one girls cousin) and had "your guardian angels" put inside. He told her that was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him. I love this child like my own (they dated for a year and a half) and I wish so much that I could take that pain away. I know in time, it will fade, but it will never be gone...
    Maybe after some of the initial trauma has faded, your daughter and her ex can rekindle what they had. I'm sure this has been awful for her, especially if she's still in love with him. When something horrible happens to someone you love, you feel it almost as though it's happened to you. After you said the accident was the same one I'd heard about, I went and read an article about it online from a Jackson newspaper. It cannot be said enough that people need to buckle up.

A*O

It's too damned hot here at Christmas for the full turkey with all the works, although some Aussies still love the 'traditional' British Christmas and sweat in the kitchen for hours.

An Aussie Christmas lunch usually involves lots of seafood and stuff grilled on the barbie. This year I am baking a whole salmon with lime and mango mayo dressing, a good ham and salads. We have some friends and family coming over and everyone brings a plate of something so I guarantee nobody goes hungry. We then collapse around the pool or sit in the spa with an ice cold drink. Heaven.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    It's too damned hot here at Christmas for the full turkey with all the works, although some Aussies still love the 'traditional' British Christmas and sweat in the kitchen for hours.

An Aussie Christmas lunch usually involves lots of seafood and stuff grilled on the barbie. This year I am baking a whole salmon with lime and mango mayo dressing, a good ham and salads. We have some friends and family coming over and everyone brings a plate of something so I guarantee nobody goes hungry. We then collapse around the pool or sit in the spa with an ice cold drink. Heaven.
    I hate the winter! It really doesn't get cold cold here-and practically no snow but I wish I could be somewhere warm!! It does sound like a nice slice of heaven A O!!

SVZ

I went to the bf's for Christmas so we had the generic turkey dinner

And then I went out and got some Chicken A La King on rice!! Man I love that stuff Does anyone have recipes for it?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Had some prime rib dinner at MIL's last night and going over to SIL for Turkey tonight. I def. prefer Turkey. Mr. Authority's tiramisu sounds really good. Can you come over and make me one, too? hehe

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

turkey, pigs-in-blankets, brocolli, peas, okra, parsnips, roast potatoes, mash, new potaoes, mushrooms, carrots etc all cooked expertly by my mother, followed by christmas pudding, or a brandy basket filled with vanilla pod ice-cream.

spiral cut ham, acorn squash with fruit/nut/brownsugar inside, cheesy hashbrown bake . . . wine, pies n stuff.

Just got home from the folks. Had: Two different Beef roasts, baked potatoes, a green bean dish, veggies, dressing,deviled eggs, pecan pie, cake, candy, cookies, Macadamia nuts that were brought especially for me from Hawaii by mom, and a 3 hour long discussion about everything from politics to religionto relatives(the ones not there of course ) without any fight breaking out!

With my family it is usually turkey for thanksgiving, beef for Christmas, ham for Easter, grilling/barbecue for Memorial day, Fourth of July and Labor day holidays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information