Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chocolate Milk Under Siege: Should It Be Banned?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Ironically, I used to drink whole milk all the time as a kid. Huge amounts. I weaned myself off of it in my early twenties.

We followed our pediatrician's advice on reducing the amount of fat in the milk as our kids went from babies to toddlers. I think whole (4% fat) milk has about 8 grams of fat in an 8-ounce serving while skim has virtually 0 grams. That is a lot of unnecessary fat you are saving when you are drinking three or four cups a day.
    I used to drink about 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day as a kid, so did my siblings. My parents never allowed us anything but milk or water unless it was a "special occasion".

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I used to drink about 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day as a kid, so did my siblings. My parents never allowed us anything but milk or water unless it was a "special occasion".
    That sounds like me. I was a very skinny kid despite all that. My son is, too. My daughter, however, has a little bit of a belly (despite being very active) and is in about the 95% for height and 99% for weight. So, we have tried to be conscious about the quality of food and excessive sugar calories.

Hit By Ban Bus!

NOOOOO!!!

How hypocritical, lets ban chocolate milk, yet there is a coke machine in the lobby of most schools.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That sounds like me. I was a very skinny kid despite all that. My son is, too. My daughter, however, has a little bit of a belly (despite being very active) and is in about the 95% for height and 99% for weight. So, we have tried to be conscious about the quality of food and excessive sugar calories.
    Your daughter sounds like me as a kid, I was always way up the chart and had a belly. I was a totally "solid" kid and very physically active. Unfortunately, my parents weren't overly health conscious (couldn't afford to be for the most part) and despite limiting sweets and snacks, we still ate a lot carbs and just generally unhealthily cooked foods. PS- I grew up to be fat. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Your daughter sounds like me as a kid, I was always way up the chart and had a belly. I was a totally "solid" kid and very physically active. Unfortunately, my parents weren't overly health conscious (couldn't afford to be for the most part) and despite limiting sweets and snacks, we still ate a lot carbs and just generally unhealthily cooked foods. PS- I grew up to be fat. LOL
    My wife and I both were skinny kids growing up, and because we work out a lot, we are pretty fit even in our forties. We are trying to give our daughter the best possible chance at growing up healthy, too (there is a lot of type 2 diabetes on my wife's side of the family). So, she has a lot of activities, like soccer and ballet, and we take her and her brother to the track, and the pool and the kids gym.

I think the biggest challenge for her is she really just loves food. She will go for stuff that I wouldn't think most kids would go for like salad with blue cheese on top and balsamic/olive oil dressing. When she is done with the salad, she drinks the dressing. I don't think most people would think she is the slightest bit overweight, but when I am buying pants for her, in order for the waist to be large enough, I need to buy a size where the legs have to be rolled up twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information