Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese restaurant food unhealthy, group warns

That makes sense, actually. People have just generally lost the sense of portion control in a lot of countries.

I do believe asian ppl are genetically small, and have little muscle tone. I dont think an entire nation can be that small due to eating patterns. The food types are generally good (although high in carbs) but it is oily nevertheless. I had thai food in thailand - in one of those local places, not a westernised restaurant - and it was OILY
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    For sedentary people: Weight x 14 = estimated cal/day

For moderately active people: Weight x 17 = estimated cal/day

For active people: Weight x 20 = estimated cal/day

This may be a little high though..

------------------------------------

1.Calculate calories for basic needs.
    Multiply your weight in pounds by 10 (for women) and 11 (for men).
    ___ lbs. x 10 = _____ calories for basic needs

2.Calculate calories for physical activity.
    Use the chart below to determine your activity level.
    _____calories for basic needs x ___% activity level = ____calories for activity

This one shows ten times body weight just for basal metabolism, not any activity..so it varies some..but 2000 as an average for the average American(who is in their early thirties if it averages out I think..) is too low from most of what I have read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course people eat way more than that...I had a light breakfast and lunch..so this heavier meal is balanced out. Plus I am only eating 1/3 of each thing and saving the rest. The Phad Thai is a little dry and not spicy enough so I am a little dissapointed in it.
    Yeah, I don't know about that, I did the calculation and it said I should eat 2958 calories a day, now that is just entirely TOO much.
    I go to a gym and have a personal trainer and I was told according to all my prelim work that I should eat 1600 calories a day. I checked this with my Dr and he said the same thing.

Gold Member

I hate American Chinese food except for crab rangoon and some of the hot sauces. Just an overprocessed taste-no flavor. I think it's amazing that they had to study it to realize it was unhealthy.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Hm, I wonder if the Chinese restaurants they have in the States are similar to the ones I've eaten in around Europe...the food certainly feels heavier than it ought to be. And the portions are freakin huge here too-usually I just order one dish for two or three people, I can't imagine one person eating all that by themselves.
    You're absolutely right! Whenever I get Chinese, it's enough to last 3 days minimum - I can't imagine how people could finish it all in one sitting (though I have seen it, living in the land of the obese and all). That much food would cause me major stomach rebellion.

Elite Member

i enjoy vegetarian dishes at pf chang..do you guys ever go there..? there is a cool one in pasadena..

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

this soooooooooooooo true though! (about chinese restaurant food in the U.S. anyways)

I think it's okay every now and then, like once a month. Panda China near me doesn't cook with MSG. We order General Tso's, Chicken Lo Mein, Pork Fried Rice, & Fried Wonton and share over a couple of days.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

I dont know how some people can eat a whole thing of chinese food I usually stay away from the fried meat.. ( like in general tso chicken) I usually get chichen with broccoli, that sort of thing. If I order it for lunch.. I will save over half of that for dinner.. if I order it for dinner.. I have lunch the next day The only fried thing that is my weekness is crab rangoon though.. I love it!

Add crab rangoons to the list of stuff they made up for non Asian people. Most Asians do not eat cheese, and that is cream cheese inside those.

Well I am done with Mark Pi's. I was sick late last night and this morning. Felt like I had eaten ten pounds of concrete.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

My husband's ancestry is Chinese, and his mom cooks "real" Chinese food. It's nothing at all like the restaurant food. Tons of steamed veggies, lots of fish, and anything that's stir fried is cooked with very little oil. Their chow mein and fried rice is so light, it's the best! Almost all of their fish and meat dishes are also steamed, not fried.

Now that I get to eat that Chinese food, I find the restaurant Chinese food absolutely disgusting.

Silver Member

I like Vietnamese WAYYY better
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information