Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese restaurant food unhealthy, group warns

A*O

I've stopped eating Chinese food (Americanised or authentic) because of all the damn MSG they put in it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Holy shit I just got home from work, sat in front of the computer..and saw this as I was eating..GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN FROM MARK PI'S!!!! LOL! I swear to God! I also got an order of Phad Thai and some eggrolls(this will last several days). ....

Oh fuck it I think it is good so screw whoever did that study(and the ave American needs more than 2000 calories a day to maintain their body weight...more like 2500..at 2000 most people would be losing some weight. The people who did that study are fucked in the head. And my blood pressure is perfectly fine so why the fuck can't I have salt? Assholes! They can go live in a fucking commune somewhere and eat bean sprouts..just STFU!!!

*also what ever happened to portion control? Just don't hog down the whole fucking meal..eat part and save the rest for the next day. Damn! people are so stooopid. lol*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My friend/roomie was an esthetician and she had studied some nutrition and she told me I needed 1500 calories total a day. I'm small by the way, 5 ft/153 cm and I'm different than an average American ethnically.
    Does that sound about right?
    So 2000-2500 sounds like a lot to me but maybe she was wrong I don't know. Oh I was talking to her about going on a diet so maybe she lowered the amount of calories...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    My friend/roomie was an esthetician and she had studied some nutrition and she told me I needed 1500 calories total a day. I'm small by the way, 5 ft/153 cm and I'm different than an average American ethnically.
    So 2000-2500 sounds like a lot to me but maybe she was wrong I don't know. Oh I was talking to her about going on a diet so maybe she lowered the amount of calories...
    For sedentary people: Weight x 14 = estimated cal/day

For moderately active people: Weight x 17 = estimated cal/day

For active people: Weight x 20 = estimated cal/day

This may be a little high though..

------------------------------------

1.Calculate calories for basic needs.
    Multiply your weight in pounds by 10 (for women) and 11 (for men).
    ___ lbs. x 10 = _____ calories for basic needs

2.Calculate calories for physical activity.
    Use the chart below to determine your activity level.
    _____calories for basic needs x ___% activity level = ____calories for activity

This one shows ten times body weight just for basal metabolism, not any activity..so it varies some..but 2000 as an average for the average American(who is in their early thirties if it averages out I think..) is too low from most of what I have read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course people eat way more than that...I had a light breakfast and lunch..so this heavier meal is balanced out. Plus I am only eating 1/3 of each thing and saving the rest. The Phad Thai is a little dry and not spicy enough so I am a little dissapointed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    For your size that may not be far off at all. At only five foot you probably do not weigh much at all so you would need alot less. I am about five ten and I have a larger frame(barrel chest..which I hate).

thanks Sojiita. This was some years ago when I had a roomie. I don't really care to lose weight or count calories at the moment although I should I actually weigh more than you think *wink wink* but a lady will not tell you her weight. tee hee.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I've stopped eating Chinese food (Americanised or authentic) because of all the damn MSG they put in it.
    Whenever we go into Chinese restaurants, we request the waiter to have our foods cooked in low sodium, less oil and low/no MSG. And they always comply.

Did you want to give that a whirl?
    Go Habs Go!!

All the places around me are banned from using MSG, even says it on the bags and containers. Though I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they comply completely.

The restaurants where you can see in to the kitchen, you can observe if they put in excessive MSG or sodium/salt and also their sanitary condition. I hate dark restaurants, I always think of roaches crawling around...

Actually, people in China are struggling with obesity too, sad:

Chinese grapple with obesity - Boston.com

It's hard to tell now what is 'real' and what is not real in terms of 'authentic' Chinese cuisine. I've had some in Hong Kong and it seemed similar to what they serve in Chinese restaurants in the U.S. (cooked and served by Chinese).

Panda express is totally americanized my opinion. Their version of general tso, the orange chicken, happens to be one of their most popular dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Holy shit I just got home from work, sat in front of the computer..and saw this as I was eating..GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN FROM MARK PI'S!!!! LOL! I swear to God! I also got an order of Phad Thai and some eggrolls(this will last several days). ....

Oh fuck it I think it is good so screw whoever did that study(and the ave American needs more than 2000 calories a day to maintain their body weight...more like 2500..at 2000 most people would be losing some weight. The people who did that study are fucked in the head. And my blood pressure is perfectly fine so why the fuck can't I have salt? Assholes! They can go live in a fucking commune somewhere and eat bean sprouts..just STFU!!!

*also what ever happened to portion control? Just don't hog down the whole fucking meal..eat part and save the rest for the next day. Damn! people are so stooopid. lol*
    I REALLY WISH YOU WOULD SAY STRAIGHT OUT WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND & NOT WASTE TIME BEING SO DELICATE!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Um, I must admit im not surprised. The Chinese they have over here are so greasy, it's like they use a litre of oil in all their cooking. I've noticed you have to be willing to pay a small fortune to get good traditional Chinese here and let me tell you it's worth it! Im very bad, I always get cravings for Chinese and find myself packing on a full plate of self serve lol

A*O

I know, I should ask them to hold the MSG but to be absolutely honest Chinese isn't my favourite 'ethnic' cuisine anyway so it's no biggie if I don't get to eat it very often. Now if I had to drop Italian. Middle Eastern or Indian food, that would be a different story.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hm, I wonder if the Chinese restaurants they have in the States are similar to the ones I've eaten in around Europe...the food certainly feels heavier than it ought to be. And the portions are freakin huge here too-usually I just order one dish for two or three people, I can't imagine one person eating all that by themselves.

I think you are supposed to share the food among a number of people. If you've seen Chinese movies, people at restaurants or at home eating usually all share dishes with their own bowl of rice. So I believe that the notion of portion might be different in terms of culture. Most Chinese people I've seen eating alone order "on-rice" item or noodles in soup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information