Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Children and food

A*O

He's growing up and testing how far he can push you - it's what makes toddlers so adorable LOL I'm sure he isn't going to turn into a blob, especially if he doesn't have access to the really unhealthy stuff. He can only eat what's available after all and you control that. If my kids were on a 'yukky veggies' phase I used to chuck a load of veggies in the blender and mix it with some minced beef to make a spaghetti sauce. It was 75% veggies and they wolfed it down without a murmer.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

He's 3. Who knows what his body is craving-jusy go with it! If he loves wheat bread and peanutbutter-yea! He'll get tired of it one day. Also-like Lynnie said-import some other 3 year olds-if they eat it, he might just plunge it. I assume you have tried cute shapes,etc. At 3, his job is to figure out so many things. Just stay loose & patient.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I've noticed maybe three other parents at his school who attempt to make their children eat healthy. The spaghetti sauce trick was working until he decided spaghetti wasn't cool anymore.

A good sneaky brand is Flat Earth chips.

As a parent you can't help but worry.

He is an adorable beast and when he's being a smartass it is some of the funniest stuff, but you're not supposed to laugh. I've found myself counting and saying "that's it, going to time out" and guess what he says now...
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

What sort of eating habits are going on when he's with his dad?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

A*O

You could try getting different pasta shapes - let him choose! The most important thing is to try not to let him see this issue is stressing you out because he will then know exactly which buttons to push. Toddlers are incredibly smart when it comes to manipulating their parents.
    Dame Edna Everage

Bronze Member

Some people use fruit as a dessert, like a treat. Does he turn his nose up at fresh berries with cream?

What about (once in awhile) a banana boat? It's got some "treat" in it but lots of potassium as well . And it's fun to make together. Slit the banana down the middle (still in the skin) and stuff some marshmallows and chocolate chips inside the slit, and then wrap it in foil and bake it in a campfire (or the oven!) and you have some fruity yummyness.

ANother sweet treat that is healthier would be baked apples. Sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar or Splenda and bake 'em up!

And ants on a log...celery with peanut butter and raisins (the ants).

My mom used to make cucumber sharks and airplanes, too.

I'll try to think of some other things, but if you make food fun, he may start to eat it.

I knew a Mom that called pesto sauce green ketchup. It got them off ketchup.

This may sound odd, but is what he's eating now very bland?

I see what kids eat and it's often so boring and flavorless. When I cook for children I always add sauteed garlic to the vegetables and some spices to chicken or fish. It's like their little mouths come alive.

I cook really yummy food and he turns his nose up at it these days; he'll only eat the meat. He helps me makes pizza so I'm going to do a veggie puree for the sauce this time.
    We're about to hit the grocery store and he claims he will eat red grapes this week... I think he's just being a toot. Breakfast was interesting this morning.
    I really think he's picking up the "yucky" thing from his peers at school.

Sounds like your a good cook JKM. Feed me instead. I'll eat it all

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    He's 3. Who knows what his body is craving-jusy go with it! If he loves wheat bread and peanutbutter-yea! He'll get tired of it one day. Also-like Lynnie said-import some other 3 year olds-if they eat it, he might just plunge it. I assume you have tried cute shapes,etc. At 3, his job is to figure out so many things. Just stay loose & patient.
    I agree. My kids have all gone through weird phases with food-- they never last that long.

He'll be alright, mama.

A*O

He could well be picking this up from other kids. If their parents let them get away with being picky eaters that's their problem for later.

I've been thinking about how I dealt with the "yukky" phase and apart from "hiding" veggies and fruit I used to get the kids to help with the preparation and/or cooking. It's a useful lifeskill anyway and you can't start too young! I bought some cookie cutters in fun shapes and used them on sandwiches. I made the food into shapes - I remember making a dinosaur "nest" out of mashed potato with pesto mixed in and then put in some chicken nuggets as dinosaur "eggs". Salad "faces" in the plate - it's all coming back to me!!
    Dame Edna Everage

Keep it coming!

A*O

You could also try some genuinely "yukky" things like green (spinach) pasta, or even the black spaghetti (witches hair) or the multi coloured shapes. Green pea soup (witches brew) and the most disgusting thing Nigella Lawson makes called "Blood, guts and pus" which is red/black jello mixed together with slices of banana or "pus" [gag]. Looks foul - tastes delicious.

Also, banana/fruit "rockets". Slices of banana on a bamboo skewer with watermelon "wings" and orange "engines" etc.
    Dame Edna Everage

Pillsbury has some cute kid things-like a hot dog (using only Hebrew National,please!) wrapped in a crescent dough-all around but where the eyes would be-put 2 dots of mustard for eyes. It's a mummy!
    here are others, they have lots. Go to Pillsbury.com and type "kids" in search. They tell you how long & are rated by other Moms.
    Chunky Pizza Soup
    Why order pizza? This kid-friendly soup only takes 15 minutes to prepare.

Prep Time: 15 Min

Recipe Rating
    (24)
    Pizza Dumbbell Lunch Combo
    Make a weighty power lunch. Kids will love it!

Prep Time: 10 Min

Recipe Rating
    (8)
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    Sounds like your a good cook JKM. Feed me instead. I'll eat it all
    I know! I was a frozen dinner kid and your child is lucky to have a mom that cooks, especially one that cooks with imagination

It does sound like the issue may be the other kids at school? If he looks from his lunchbox to theirs and it's all fresh fruits w/sandwich vs. lunchables w/pudding cup I could see a little one getting all defiant (even if he doesn't realize how much care you really are putting into giving him healthy options).
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information