Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Celeb chefs that you love/hate

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ how funny! i was starting to think that anthony was slagging on food network because they dumped him so was glad to see that he said nice things about a few of the chefs there. i was disappointed that they dropped him, he was a lot more watchable than the neely's and some of the other chefs they have.
    I've come to agree with the serious foodies that there aren't really that many good instructional shows on the FN anymore. There aren't if you think about it. I could dig Secrets of a Restaurant Chef with Anne Burrell, but she does this annoying Tony the Tiger thing with her voice sometimes that drives me up the wall, and totally detracts from the good information she has on her show. I can't even watch Alton Brown anymore because he's gotten too condescending and gimmicky. I can't deal with Gina Neely, but I think Pat and his brothers would do a good BBQ show on their own (but BBQ 24/7 would get tiresome). Paula Deen has become an ass. I pretty much can deal only with Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence anymore.

czb

^^^ i agree with a lot of your points. clearly the neely's and the cooking for real chick were just hired because of the criticism that the food network was too white. i'm sure that if they tried they could've found nonwhite who had more talent and tv presence that those. i like secrets of a restaurant chef in theory, but some of anne's mannerisms/inflections make her too hard too watch. used to like tyler but have seen him in real life and he annoys me, so that has influenced my opinion of his show.

i would like to see food network come up with a show where they feature meals that normal people can make that are from scratch, healthy, and relatively quick. kind of like 30 minute meals but edible and not gross.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post

Anthony Bourdain despises her, and some of his quotes include calling her "pure evil" "stupid and talentless" and my favorite, "She should be taken to Guantanamo and waterboarded".
    hahaha more reasons to love him. he's awesome.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^^ i agree with a lot of your points. clearly the neely's and the cooking for real chick were just hired because of the criticism that the food network was too white. i'm sure that if they tried they could've found nonwhite who had more talent and tv presence that those.
    I would have hired B. Smith, a former model turned chef/restauranteur (B. Smith - Whatever You Do, Do It With Style), but with her dreads and upper-class manners, TPTB at FN were probably too threatened by all of her fabulousness. She had a show on BET for a while, but that network has become a joke too. B. Smith is fierce, probably too fierce for the likes of the Food Network.

I was majorly disappointed with TFNS winner Aaron McCargo's show, Big Daddy's House. The food is so mediocre. The same with Sunny Anderson - and I HATE her fake-looking weave!!!!!! And her constant giggling.

i like secrets of a restaurant chef in theory, but some of anne's mannerisms/inflections make her too hard too watch. used to like tyler but have seen him in real life and he annoys me, so that has influenced my opinion of his show.
    I don't know the dirt on Tyler - do tell. I'll take him over Anne - she looks like Guy Fieri's baby sister.

i would like to see food network come up with a show where they feature meals that normal people can make that are from scratch, healthy, and relatively quick. kind of like 30 minute meals but edible and not gross.
    The CEO, Brooke Johnson, admitted that she's trying to cater to a wider audience, who might find even instructional cooking too hoity-toity for them. They get off on Sandra and Rachael and Giada (enough with the breasts, already), and relate to Guy's douchebag-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    hahaha more reasons to love him. he's awesome.
    He cracks me up!!!

czb

^^^ i don't really have dirt on tyler but he is a local and i see him pretty frequently. almost ran me off the road several times while i was pushing a baby stroller, he drives like a drunk. that's enough of a reason to hate him. and he and his portly wife walk around like they are up here and you are down there (a la kelly b).

and i agree with you about b smith, she would have been better than those that food network picked. i've seen an old version of her cooking show and she had a good tv presence.

^^^ i don't really have dirt on tyler but he is a local and i see him pretty frequently. almost ran me off the road several times while i was pushing a baby stroller, he drives like a drunk. that's enough of a reason to hate him. and he and his portly wife walk around like they are up here and you are down there (a la kelly b).
    Ok, he's slipping off my list....and quick. I don't like people who drive like that. I live in downtown Philly and 99.9% of the people who drive like that around here suffer from a serious sense of entitlement.

and i agree with you about b smith, she would have been better than those that food network picked. i've seen an old version of her cooking show and she had a good tv presence.
    I don't think they want smart folks on their network - look what they did to Sara Moulton....

czb

^^^ oooh, i like sara moulton. i would agree that her show wasn't the best but it seemed like with a better format she could've done well. was sorry to see her go.

The Neely's annoy me to no end. I can't get down with calling my husband "Daddy", and I really think it has no place in the kitchen to begin with. It's too sappy sweet. I have been waiting for them to announce they really hate each either and are getting divorced.

I don't care for Tyler either. His recipes look like crap, he's sloppy, he acts like he's sniffed an 8 ball before taking the stage, and he just rambles.

I like Alton, I think he's really intelligent and probably the only really properly trained chef on the whole network.

Bobby Flay, well I just can't decide. I don't really care for his recipes. He just like throwing random stuff together...plus, I think he's probably an ass in real life.

I like Bobby Flay. He actually cringes & is kind of embarressed when he wins a showdown. My fav is the Wedding Cake one-he knew he couldn't win,but he gave it his best shot & it looked pretty good! He lost proudly!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I like Bobby Flay. He actually cringes & is kind of embarressed when he wins a showdown. My fav is the Wedding Cake one-he knew he couldn't win,but he gave it his best shot & it looked pretty good! He lost proudly!
    Or when he won the donut throwdown. The loser was anything but graceful.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    The Neely's annoy me to no end. I can't get down with calling my husband "Daddy", and I really think it has no place in the kitchen to begin with. It's too sappy sweet. I have been waiting for them to announce they really hate each either and are getting divorced.

I don't care for Tyler either. His recipes look like crap, he's sloppy, he acts like he's sniffed an 8 ball before taking the stage, and he just rambles.

I like Alton, I think he's really intelligent and probably the only really properly trained chef on the whole network.

Bobby Flay, well I just can't decide. I don't really care for his recipes. He just like throwing random stuff together...plus, I think he's probably an ass in real life.
    i agree with you about alton brown, i like him too, but he isn't the only formally trained chef on food network. giada went to the cordon bleu. but the food has really moved away from formally trained chefs ever since they had success with rachael ray. they just want bisquick & hamburger helper kind of cooks like sandra lee.

i agree with you about alton brown, i like him too, but he isn't the only formally trained chef on food network. giada went to the cordon bleu. but the food has really moved away from formally trained chefs ever since they had success with rachael ray. they just want bisquick & hamburger helper kind of cooks like sandra lee.
    Oh, I know he isn't the only one that has been trained, but he's the only one that shows it.

And speaking of Giada, I can't stand watching her either. She reminds me of Paris Hilton with the way she changes her voice up.

I made one of Rachael's dishes once. It was an chicken dish with dried apricots - she said it was a Moroccan thing. And she says to the camera, "EVERYBODY loves chicken and apricots - who doesn't?". I SWEAR.

That was some nasty-assed shit, word. Had to throw it out. I've pretty much despised her ever since.

was it a chicken and apricot tajine? mmmm delicious. if it's well made. i have no idea what rachael's recipe looked like. i never watch her, i find her to be completely fucking obnoxious.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    was it a chicken and apricot tajine? mmmm delicious. if it's well made. i have no idea what rachael's recipe looked like. i never watch her, i find her to be completely fucking obnoxious.
    Aqui tiene: Herb-Apricot Chicken Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information