Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Thanksgiving: what do you eat?

A*O

Ohhhhhhh yes, and maybe some offal. That reminds me, stuffed lambs hearts - delicious! (seriously)
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Ohhhhhhh yes, and maybe some offal. That reminds me, stuffed lambs hearts - delicious! (seriously)
    PP just told me offal was "shit' or somesuchthing...what is it?

A*O

Offal is internal organs, eg, hearts, kidneys, livers, brains, etc. Don't go EW! If you are prepared to eat the outside bits of an animal, then why not the inside bits too? Mmmmmmmm devilled kidneys......
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Offal is internal organs, eg, hearts, kidneys, livers, brains, etc. Don't go EW! If you are prepared to eat the outside bits of an animal, then why not the inside bits too? Mmmmmmmm devilled kidneys......
    I LOVE fried chicken gizzards! I hated the livers but loved the gizzards! My father liked cow's brains with scrambled eggs.

A*O

And don't forget testicles! Conversely, I don't think I've ever (knowingly) eaten an ovary.
    Dame Edna Everage

Ok guys, we went from the great ideas for Thanksgiving to entrails?
    We do have Thanksgiving later in the year, but it seems that we have pretty much the same menu. My must cook is sweet potato casserole-hubby insists every holiday and he will not eat anyone's dressing but mine-isn't that just the sweetest? You would think he had been eating it all his life I guess it's because most of his life they made "stuffing" that was that Pepridge farm crap in a bag That's enough to turn anyone off to stuffing/dressing.
    I was fixing to write that I have to cook twice-once to take to MIL and once to take to FIL-and then I realized this will be the first holiday without my MIL
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

We had Thanksgiving dinner at BF's brother's place this year. His mum and Nana are travelling in Europe, so we just got the kids together in London for it (we're all in Southern Ontario now). My BF and I are the foodies in the family - we're the ones that tend to make everything from scratch with twists on traditional recipes and the like. Bro and his girl are a little more new at cooking a big meal - they did a really nice job though.

We had turkey, stuffing in the bird with bread, onion, celery and sage, garlic mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, roasted root vegetables cooked with the bird, steamed green beans, and I baked sweet onion cornbread. The only disappointment was the generic-brand storebought pumpkin pie which didn't really taste anything like pumpkin. Oh well. I'm hoping to do it at our house next year, but only because I like to and we have far more room, hehe.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

OT, but Tati, your sig was my oldest daughter's quote for her senior yearbook...that's something...

Our Thanksgiving meal was delicious with the same type of dishes as
    everyone has posted.
    Dinner tonight is what else? Leftover turkey.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Ours was at the inlaws. We had...Turkey roasted with some onions, carrots and garlic/herbs, then mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, steamed brussel sprouts with bacon bits (real bacon), salad, dinner bun, home made cranberry sauce, gravy. As for desert, a pumpkin pie and a pecan caramel pie (<--which I didn't get to try cuz I was so full by the end of dinner).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Ours was at the inlaws. We had...Turkey roasted with some onions, carrots and garlic/herbs, then mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, steamed brussel sprouts with bacon bits (real bacon), salad, dinner bun, home made cranberry sauce, gravy. As for desert, a pumpkin pie and a pecan caramel pie (<--which I didn't get to try cuz I was so full by the end of dinner).
    Girl, you wrap that shit up and take it home for a midnight snack!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I know! And they had an extra pumpkin pie, too so I would have wanted to take that whole thing home...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Aargh. I have leftover pumpkin pie in the fridge. I had a big piece yesterday, but I've told my niece to finish off the rest. Otherwise, I'm chucking it!

I'll take it!! My mom gave me two huge pieces Monday and they're gone already. Haha. I still have pretty full containers of turkey, stuffing, gravy and honey-glazed carrots plus the braided buns in the freezer. Bwaha. I've had leftovers for lunch and dinner yesterday, and I'll be having more today. I don't like leaving stuff in the fridge for more than 2 days, so I'll have to pig out tonight and tomorrow for lunch! Ha.

Lil

It all sounds lovely. Can I ask, do you all have the same dinner at Christmas or do you have something else?
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information