Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Thanksgiving: what do you eat?

What are scissor buns?

That might not be their official term. Maybe braided buns? I don't know, all I know is Safeway only really sells them around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

It's not Thanksgiving in my neck of the woods until late November and this thread is making me hungry.

We generally have turkey with cornbread dressing. I've never had stuffing stuffed inside the turkey. My mom has always had an adversion to the idea, but I've heard that it's really not dangerous if everything is well and fully cooked. Just our tradition not to, I guess.

My mom always makes either a sweet potato or pumpkin pie and I hate both. Every year she acts genuinely surprised to hear I can't stand it and promises to make apple pie for Christmas. The rest of the family loves the stuff and can't get enough, so I suffer without pie.

I really don't know what yams are. Is it just a sweet potato casserole? We sometimes have those in addition to the sweet potato pie.

I always put stuffing inside the turkey, but always do a batch outside as well because hubby is a vegetarian. It tastes so much better inside the turkey because of the juices and flavouring. I've never heard of anybody getting sick from it -- turkeys usually cook a very long time.

A*O

Surely stuffing got its name because you stuff the turkey with it? It's perfectly safe provided the whole thing is thoroughly cooked and it absorbs the juices so it tastes MUCH nicer IMO.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Some people call it dressing, too. But yes, stuffing because it is stuffed inside the bird.

I can't wait for Thanksgiving! My family celebrates the traditional Canadian Thanksgiving with the turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, etc...but with a Filipino twist. My mom makes to-die-for pandesal (bread rolls) that practically melt in your mouth.There's siopao (steamed, meat-filled buns). As well as pancit (noodles and vegetables) dishes. We may have Ube (purple yam) cake afterwards. The Filipino families I know have their own versions of Thanksgiving, too.

Pandesal (pun-day-sull)

Siopao (sho-pow)

Pancit (pun-seet)

Ube (ooh-bay) cake
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Some people call it dressing, too. But yes, stuffing because it is stuffed inside the bird.
    I guess that's why we call it dressing because we never but it UP the bird. It is baked in a cast iron skillet to get a nice crust on it.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I always put stuffing inside the turkey, but always do a batch outside as well because hubby is a vegetarian. It tastes so much better inside the turkey because of the juices and flavouring. I've never heard of anybody getting sick from it -- turkeys usually cook a very long time.
    Me too. I put most of the stuffing in the neck end, and any that won't fit I put in the body cavity. I think as long as you work out the cooking time based on the weight of the bird after you've stuffed it, and make absolutely sure it's cooked there shouldn't be a problem.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Surely stuffing got its name because you stuff the turkey with it? It's perfectly safe provided the whole thing is thoroughly cooked and it absorbs the juices so it tastes MUCH nicer IMO.
    It is just not the way we did it at home. My mother just made cornbread dressing instead. She added oysters to most of it but baked me a special batch without because I don't like cooked oysters. The dressing had plenty of flavor from the addition of broth and the delicious giblet gravy served with it.

A*O

It really doesn't matter how you do it, but technically a 'stuffing' goes inside the bird, hence the name (the Brit version is usually based on sausage meat, breadcrumbs, chopped chestnuts, onion and sage, although there's any number of variations). I also put stuffing in rolled pork, beef, veal, lamb and you can even stuff fish.

The only way I can face oysters is when they are cooked - eating them au naturel is slightly less appetising than swallowing a mouthfull of cold, salty snot (or worse!). Can you tell I don't like them? It's a shame because they are very cheap and plentiful here, not a 'luxury' item at all and practically every restaurant sells them.
    Dame Edna Everage

It really doesn't matter how you do it, but technically a 'stuffing' goes inside the bird, hence the name.
    Uh, that is why we call OURS DRESSING NOT STUFFING!

A*O

Well, see, I put dressing ON things like a salad and I cannot believe we are having this conversation LOL.
    Dame Edna Everage

Well, see, I put dressing ON things like a salad and I cannot believe we are having this conversation LOL.
    there, there dear, calm down. This entry from a food dictionary should clear everything up for you...

dressing
    1. A sauce usually cold used to coat or top salads and some cold vegetable, fish and meat dishes. 2. A mixture used to stuff poultry, fish, meat and some vegetables. It can be cooked separately or in the food in which it is stuffed. Dressings (also called stuffings ) are usually well seasoned and based on bread crumbs or cubes though rice, potatoes and other foods are also used.

We could drag the term 'forcemeat' into this conversation................

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information