Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Calling all the picky eaters (and beet haters)

Elite Member

I love cilantro, but hate everything else on this list. It's nothing more than a mental block.

When I was little, my stepmom was an unmedicated bipolar. She would make shit like canned beets, give me a serving the size a lumberjack would eat, and try to make me eat it all. She wouldn't let me leave the table, until they were all gone, and let me tell you, I had some willpower when I was six. She would also get me so worked up over dinner, that I would throw up all over my plate, and she would just clean the barf up, then give me back what was under it so she "wouldn't waste food".

To this day, I can't eat anything that she forced me to eat as a kid, and the list is quite long, of things I won't eat. The aversion is so bad, that my kids have yet to eat any of it either, because I can't have it in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    When I was little, my stepmom was an unmedicated bipolar. She would make shit like canned beets, give me a serving the size a lumberjack would eat, and try to make me eat it all. She wouldn't let me leave the table, until they were all gone, and let me tell you, I had some willpower when I was six. She would also get me so worked up over dinner, that I would throw up all over my plate, and she would just clean the barf up, then give me back what was under it so she "wouldn't waste food".
    That's fucking awful.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    I love cilantro, but hate everything else on this list. It's nothing more than a mental block.

To this day, I can't eat anything that she forced me to eat as a kid, and the list is quite long, of things I won't eat. The aversion is so bad, that my kids have yet to eat any of it either, because I can't have it in my house.
    That sort of mentality just baffles me. Way to get a kid to hate food and you.

A friend of mine once described her mother treating her like that. I was appalled. Two years later, she asked me over to her house and damn if her 2 year old daughter wasn't sitting at the table in front of a plate of cold scrambled eggs, forbidden to leave until she ate them! I gave up on her totally.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

Boogs - that was abusive! I don't blame you for never touching those foods again.
    Posted from my iPhone
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

i'm just so-so on cauliflower (puree is my favorite), but i love the other foods listed. beets are nommy. i like them oven roasted with a bit of butter on top. and, the tops are good for pretty much any cooked greens dish...i also use them when i make stuffed squash.

brussels sprouts are freaking delicious! oven roasted wit a bit of bacon grease or lightly steamed, then browned with one slice of bacon chopped up, apple chunks, sliced onion, a bit of apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pan at the end. sooooo freaking good!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Cilantro is an acquired taste. I love it now.

Beets - just yuck. Hate the texture and the taste

Cauliflower - tasteless and the texture is unappealing (I do love its cousin broccoli though)

Brussel Sprouts - I can eat a few now but I used to hate them probably because I hated cabbage growing up. My taste buds have changed with age and cabbage is pretty ok now (unless it's sauerkraut - yuck).

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I love everything on the list. I make my brussel sprouts by sauteing them in bacon fat too.
    The best way to eat them. Also pretty good with a slight touch of vinegar. Just a little drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Huh. When I went to the eastern states in the mid '90s, the Hungry Jack's restaurants were called "Burger Kings" and I was told that "Burger King" was the American name; "Hungry Jack's" was a franchise name-change. Are BK and Hardee's owned by the same company?
    Hungry Jack's Pty Ltd, often colloquially abbreviated to HJ's, Hungry's or Hungie's, is the exclusive Australian master fast food franchisee of Burger King Corporation. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Competitive Foods Australia, a privately held company owned by Jack Cowin. Hungry Jack's currently owns and operates or sub-licenses all of the Burger King/Hungry Jack's restaurants in Australia...

Hardee's and Carl's Jr are owned by CKE Restaurants.
    Wiki

I actually learned this a while ago when I interviewed another subsidiary of Competitive Foods Australia.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I love cauliflower, but in an unhealthy for you way- breaded, fried and dipped in horseradish sauce.

I love brussel sprouts too, steamed or sauteed in olive oil.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Wiki

I actually learned this a while ago when I interviewed another subsidiary of Competitive Foods Australia.

This is why I love GR; learn a little something, something, every day
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information