Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/worst meal you've eaten lately?

Default Re: Best/worst meal you've eaten lately?

Best: Rare steak in a whiskey/cream sauce with julienned vegetables (and pretty good sangria) at some tragically understaffed restaurant in Granada (Nicaragua, not Spain ).

Worst: The dry ham and cheese sandwich on stale bread I'm eating now.
    2 years...

Omg, heart leigh, your post made my mouth water like crazy. That's the kind of stuff I could LIVE on.

Best: Talipia grilled in butter with lemon pepper seasoning, fresh sweet corn from my uncle's garden, slice of nine-grain bread with tiny coating of butter on it, and fresh strawberries and blueberries sprinkled over sugar free vanilla yogurt (discovered BlueBunny sugar free yogurt and I'm in lOVE!) This was at my grandma's, I cook for her every Wednesday night. She has alzheimer's and we all take turns cooking and 'babysitting' for her. I love Wed. nights!

Worst: Three nights ago at cubscout camp they served us salisbury steak. Barforama. I couldn't bring myself to eat one bite even though I was starving (I spent 4 days and 3 nights with my son at camp).
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Hot dogs seem to be winning the "worst" category in this thread, hands down.

Best: filet mignon at Outback Steak House this week, with salad, brown bread, and baked potato, & CHOCOLATE THUNDER DOWN UNDER (brownie w/ice cream) for dessert.

Worst: lunch from Popeye's chicken, which is usually tolerable, but the naked chicken strips were dry & gross, and the green beans were unbearably nasty (disappointing, because I usually like them.)
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Best: our third anniversary dinner last night. Veuve Clicquot champagne at home, avocado mousse with jicama and arugula salad, curried risotto with pan-seared giant scallops and julienned Granny Smith apples. Followed by a fantastic lemon curd tart with caramelized sugar and raspberries, and more fine French wine at home.

Worst: the horrible cafeteria coffee I bought this morning to wake up enough to teach a three-hour class.

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    Best -nothing beats a traditional Filipino home cooked meal at my mama's.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    No Ube ice cream?
    I KNOW! Ube (pronounced ooh-bay) ice cream is my favorite. My dear mama didn't have any at the time I came over for dinner.
    Still, mango ice cream is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Omg, heart leigh, your post made my mouth water like crazy. That's the kind of stuff I could LIVE on.
    Whenever I have the opportunity to visit my mom, I gorge myself silly. It's sooo good!
    Rock the fuck on!

Ugh I just had another worst meal today. For breakfast I went to some cheap diner downtown and got a BLT . The bacon was over-cooked and the lettuce was wilted with grease.ugh

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well one of the best meals i get today are the Fiesta PLatters at Acapulcos w/o sour cream, xtra guac, chicken tenders instead of buffalo wings and xtra cheese and a cold strawberry margarita on the rocks....oh yeah, thats what i had last nite lucky is ME!

The worst meal I've had in ages is what I had for lunch today: a small bag of store-brand cheeto-like objects. I was so hungry that I was shaking, so I ate them, even though they tasted like garden mulch.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^^That reminds me of when I used to eat rice cakes a lot. Like chewing flavoured sawdust.

Last night I had the most amazing lasagne prepared by moi.

I am not an amazing cook but I do like to try and really enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, particularly with pasta dishes. I find them pretty easy to make and it's always quite a speedy option for late at night when I'm rushing.

Anyway, I digress... the lasagne was a basic meat lasagne inc. mozzarella, provolone, ricotta, parmesan layered with red sauce, browned beef and a few herbs.

The worst meal I have had the adversity of consuming was a few weeks ago. A female colleague had invited me to her place for a meal. I assumed she would be going to the effort of preparing and cooking the food herself so accompanied myself with a beautiful bottle of Laurent Perignon to express my appreciation.

So, you can undoubtedly understand my sheer disillusionment when the 'food' (and I use the term very loosely) arrived looking like an upside down lasagne that had been fingered by a small child. I stared at this pile of unrecognisable heap of mush for a moment, then forced myself to swallow the majority of it down.

The night didn't last very long after that. I made my excuses about an hour later and made my way towards the door, not failing to notice the two crumpled 'microwave meal' boxes wedged into her dustbin.

I went back to my place where I began to feel an overwhelming urge to vomit. I simply can't believe that women today would actually have the nerve to deliver such a messy excuse for a meal.

Elite Member

BEST--nothing beats a home cooked meal...more specfically, the authentic Mexican and Spanish dishes my grandmother and aunts make. My grandmother makes the best Enchiladas and my mom makes great Posole....mmmmm mmmmm.

WORST--I hate deli food. I pretty much hate any cold food. Salami, pastrami, yellow cheese, pre-packaged food...it tastes so fake, so manufactured. The only cold food I really like are salads (room temperature) and chilled fruit. Other than that, my food needs to be prepared and served hot. Deli food sucks....7-Eleven food....stuff like that. *'gag*

Sidenote: I love warm bread...a nice, delicious loaf of bread....rye, sourdough, wheat, whatever--I love bread nice and hot out of the oven, with come butter on top...mmmmm mmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFingers View Post
    Last night I had the most amazing lasagne prepared by moi.

I am not an amazing cook but I do like to try and really enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, particularly with pasta dishes. I find them pretty easy to make and it's always quite a speedy option for late at night when I'm rushing.

Anyway, I digress... the lasagne was a basic meat lasagne inc. mozzarella, provolone, ricotta, parmesan layered with red sauce, browned beef and a few herbs.

The worst meal I have had the adversity of consuming was a few weeks ago. A female colleague had invited me to her place for a meal. I assumed she would be going to the effort of preparing and cooking the food herself so accompanied myself with a beautiful bottle of Laurent Perignon to express my appreciation.

So, you can undoubtedly understand my sheer disillusionment when the 'food' (and I use the term very loosely) arrived looking like an upside down lasagne that had been fingered by a small child. I stared at this pile of unrecognisable heap of mush for a moment, then forced myself to swallow the majority of it down.

The night didn't last very long after that. I made my excuses about an hour later and made my way towards the door, not failing to notice the two crumpled 'microwave meal' boxes wedged into her dustbin.

I went back to my place where I began to feel an overwhelming urge to vomit. I simply can't believe that women today would actually have the nerve to deliver such a messy excuse for a meal.
    I don't even eat that crap myself when I'm at home alone. If she didn't want to/can't cook, she should have ordered take out or had a meal catered. Her bad manners, not to mention taste, are appalling.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is so refreshing to know that there are still women out there that believe in traditionally nourishing meals rather than the garbage I was unnecessarily acquainted with.

I myself am not an experienced chef but I certainly make the effort and would never even dream of feeding my dog such waste, never mind a guest.

Let me know when you’re next hosting a dinner party and I shall be right there!

Best: A kebab with red sauce and yoghurt that I had in a pretty posh new Turkish restaurant. Absolutely delicious and way too much, only managed maybe half of it.

Worst: A crepe which would be better described as "crap". There was spinach and supposedly also cream cheese (didn't find any) in it and I love spinach but that spinach had no taste and the whole thing was covered in a mountain of yellow weird-smelling cheese.

Goldfingers you sound like my kind of man! My husband is the worlds worst cook, im so glad he works all the hours that he does so i dont have to endure his cooking too often! Theres nothing i like better than to experiment in the kitchen, ive tried out some weird, but totally wonderful dishes in my time- i love to be in the kitchen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information