Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bento box lunches for kids

Those V-8 Splash juices supposedly have a serving of vegetables too, but I think they either have a lot of sugar or salt as well. Have you tried baking sweet potato fries? Look around for recipes, most call for a light coating in an oil, salt, pepper, (sometimes brown sugar) mixture.

*erm, scratch the v-8 splash juices, they're made with evil high fructose corn syrup. Their v8 Fusion line at least has 100% juice, no HFCS. But I'd still pay attention to the sugar content on the label.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    This chick is crazy if the most stressful part of her day is lunches. Some of the food combinations are gag worthy too.

I try to give my kid something from all four food groups but she doesn't like raw veggies and there isn't a microwave for her to heat up cooked ones. Does anyone have good ideas to work around this? I saw Motts has some juice that has a serving of veggies in it but I can't find it.
    V8 makes vegetable juice that's flavored with fruit, you can find it anywhere.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

V8 Splash.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

or you can make your own vegetable and fruit juices.
    carrot can be mixed with almost any fruit juice, such as apple, orange, strawberry and banana.
    you can also add celery and zucchini to just about any fruit juice because they don't have that strong a taste.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    This chick is crazy if the most stressful part of her day is lunches. Some of the food combinations are gag worthy too.

I try to give my kid something from all four food groups but she doesn't like raw veggies and there isn't a microwave for her to heat up cooked ones. Does anyone have good ideas to work around this? I saw Motts has some juice that has a serving of veggies in it but I can't find it.
    I've got a bit of a picky eater here too, doubt I could get her to drink that juice.

She doesn't like raw veggies much, but is more inclined to eat them if she can dip them in some ranch dressing. Baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cucumber slices, etc.. Ants on a Log sometimes works too (peanut butter on celery with raisins lined on top).

Only other way she'll eat raw veggies is when they're piled up on a Subway sandwich, that's her favorite restaurant.

Is that inlaid tofu?

Spoilt kids back in my day we had to pack our own lunchboxes. It was always a piece of fruit, vegemite sandwich, museli bar and a frozen poppa (juice box). I would never have taken meatballs, cheese, eggs or deli meats because even with a frozen poppa it wouldn't be enough to keep it safe in Australian heat.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Bento box lunches are a cute idea maybe for a special day like if your kid has a test or speech or something they're nervous about. Psycho mum has way too much spare time and needs to calm the fuck down. I always just got a sandwich and a banana and I turned out just fine. A tasty sandwich and some fruit, carrot sticks with peanut butter, etc is a good enough lunch.

Thanks everyone. I tracked it down. Here's hoping my kids like it. They threw me a funny side eye when they saw me unpacking groceries last night. I think they know something is up.

i got my goodbyn today. it is srsly awesome!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

This thread just keeps popping up so I'm finally commenting. I just don't get this whole thing. I have read the original article twice and the whole thread twice. Who on earth DOES this? Ok, I can see buying cute little pre-made ones if you're out & about, ooo look at my cute lunch lol lol. But to do this at home? Maybe I looked at too many google images of "bento box" because the stuff I saw was just over the top. And I have yet to see one of them, from the simpler ones to the extravagant ones, that I would like to eat.

Yep, just don't get it, and find this whole thing bizarre.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I think the boxes are cute, in some twee way. There is just no way in hell I'd draw or make cutesy faces on my kid's food. Eat it and like it, or starve.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Silver Member

I actually love the artistic flair of some bento box special meals...however, my kid would get a PB & J, some Cheetos, a box of juice, and maybe a Debbie Cake on special days.
    Fuck the Top Chef-made lunches some of these sites tout. Fuck 'em right in the ass.

I really like the idea of bento box lunches, but not the ones shown by this lady. It seems like she has too much time on her hands, yet the lunches are pretty crappy. A lot of stuff seems gag-worthy eaten together. If packing kiddie lunches is the most stressful part of this chick's day then there is a problem.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information