Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bento box lunches for kids

Cool link, thanks aabbcc!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

You're very welcome. I remember when she started the blog back in 2005. Shmoo had just gone into the 1st grade. It was neat seeing all the different lunches she came up with. He's a pretty lucky kid!

Bookmarked and passed along to the offspring. Thanks aabbcc

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Huh. I was expecting something cool here... these lunches strike me as sort of creepy somehow. The vegan blog looks much better!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I'll admit those lunches are cute, but she's going to spoil them so bad they won't want to eat any other way.

I'll do "Ants on a Log" on occasion and am willing to trim the crust off sandwiches for the little one who barely eats enough to stay alive, but that's about it. I want my kids to eat their food, not play with it.

I must really suck as a mom since I'm to lazy to make a PB & J and just cut a check to the school for his lunches. If I was to send him this bento crap he would hide it out of embarrassment anyways...this kind of thing is just asking for your kid to get picked on by the other kids, unless of course they're 4 years old.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I like the idea of bento lunches but it seems like a lot of little dishes to have to do, which I produce enough dishes as a single 25 year old, I'd shutter to think of the additional dishes I'd have if I had children...

Also, I've seen way better bento lunches than these ones. These are really random scraps of food stuffed together, most will have some kind of completeness to it. A main piece, a fruit, a veggie and a snack of some sort. And for people saying that these are "snacks", ideally lunch is supposed to be your smallest meal of the day. Think of when you eat a huge lunch, are you ready to go learn or go to gym class or would you prefer to take a 2 hour nap?

And finally, I think a lot of families that do this kind of lunch packing will usually set aside a time on the weekend to literally make/prepare the bulk of the lunches for the whole week.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I'm so disappointed that this wasn't proper japanese bento-boxes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Cute idea - but her lunches have processed foods and way too much sodium. I had one choice with my homemade lunches - the sandwich got sliced on the diagonal or straight across. I would have loved cookie cutter shaped sandwiches.

For Mariah's spawn:

Yup and I was also struck that there was very little - reading the blog the kids were getting something else (e.g. pasta & sauce on mondays) so its not representational of what they're eating.

I liked the vegan blog better though (esp the picture of her fridge)

I came across this on the bento-box blog...

Wyatt begged me to let him get school lunch all week and on Thursday I finally relented. We’ve agreed that Wyatt will be allowed to buy school lunch once per week and only if I approve the menu for a particular day. And when I say “we’ve agreed” I mean “I’ve laid down the law”. I won’t be giving my approval on days when things like “kookies”, flourescent blue Trix yogurt, or strawberry waffle grahams are on the menu though. Since that appears to be most days he’s not going to get it very often, I’m afraid. Thursday’s menu was:
    • Choice of beefy bean dip or french bread pizza (he chose pizza)
    • apple (which he ate!)
    • carrot sticks (he didn’t pick any up)
    • tortilla chips (he didn’t get these either)
    • milk (he chose the chocolate, of course)
    One argument for buying school lunch is that it’s easier for me in the morning but I actually found that was only marginally true. I still had to pack a snack (what you see above) and I had to root around coming up with exact change for lunch money because my wallet was inconveniently empty. It’s possible it would have been easier for me to make lunch, actually.
    Wyatt’s verdict on school lunch: “It was the most delicious thing ever and I want to eat it every day!!”
    Free Charmed.

When that kid gets old enough that she can no longer follow him around and control what he puts in his mouth, he's gonna be a junk/fast food junkie.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Or not. We grew up with healthy food and I can't stand most fast food because the saltiness and sugar just make me feel ill.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I grew up with healthy food too. But not with a mom that was such a food Nazi as this. Knew a kid or two with a parent like this though. Any time they escaped over to our house they'd junk out like crazy 24/7 on anything in the category of "forbidden" (to them in their own homes) we might have laying around the fridge or pantry that we took for granted. It's kind of sad when you have to hide a box of vanilla wafers or a bag of marshmallows to keep a kid from gorging himself to sickness.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

i dig bento box lunches in theory (i like snacking on a few different things rather than a main dish), but would never go to all that work...the checkered apple is cool, but not something i'd spend time doing. i just ordered a goodbyn this week, so i have something to put snacks in when we are out & about running errands. i like that it is just two pieces (container & lid), but it's divided into sections & the lid is tight enough that you can have liquid-y stuff next to crackers, or the like.

The Goodbyn™ lunchbox - Made in the USA
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Pineapple, salami and cheerios??

vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I grew up with healthy food too. But not with a mom that was such a food Nazi as this. Knew a kid or two with a parent like this though. Any time they escaped over to our house they'd junk out like crazy 24/7 on anything in the category of "forbidden" (to them in their own homes) we might have laying around the fridge or pantry that we took for granted. It's kind of sad when you have to hide a box of vanilla wafers or a bag of marshmallows to keep a kid from gorging himself to sickness.
    That's how we were when I was a kid. Nothing too fancy, but reasonably healthy. Always homemade and mostly meals at home. We rarely went out to eat. Nothing was really forbidden or off limits. My mom could bring in cookies, cakes, chips, etc and I didn't go crazy eating them. Now, one of her friends kids (a kid that my mom would watch over the summer) would raid our fridge, freezer and pantry looking for snacks.

This chick is crazy if the most stressful part of her day is lunches. Some of the food combinations are gag worthy too.

I try to give my kid something from all four food groups but she doesn't like raw veggies and there isn't a microwave for her to heat up cooked ones. Does anyone have good ideas to work around this? I saw Motts has some juice that has a serving of veggies in it but I can't find it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information